Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i hardly ever get time to work on this. its a 94 zx11. i posted it was running bad and only with choke on. i pulled plus after it had sat for a day and they were clean and dry. took the carbs apart and cleaned them. start bike up and it spits and sputters go ride as i let it climb rpms it clears out then its raped ape. let it idle or sit with key off and start it up and it sputters. get it home and pull plugs and cyl 1 is flooded. i see alittle wetness in the throttle body. sounds like a float is hanging open or something. do Keihin carbs have adjustments for float height? im thinkin not. the ron ayers book doesntshow a inner oring in the float seat ? does it have one ? what seals the float ?

·
890 Posts
All carbs have adjustments for float height - on most you simply bend the tang that closes the valve. Normal measurement is taken with carbs upside down, from bottom of carb body to top of float.

And unless the float valve seat is some sort of screw in affair, it should have an O-ring to seal it.

Check out www.factorypro.com as well for CV carb tuning tips - they've got some good info on there.

Hope this helps

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so say this zx11 is running lioke crap on start up but clears out after 1st gear. let it idle for a minute or shut it off for a minute it misses again till you clear it out. pull the plug and its wet. run my finger down the throttle barrel and its wet. not flooded just alittle wet. i pull the plug clean it crank it without a plug to clean the cylinders reinstall let sit for a minute and crank pull plug and its wet. the floats looked good. the dampness i think is from the final turning over the motor when i kill the igntion sucking in one last gulp. the other barrels feel the same. the wet plug doesnt smell like gas. very tan in color and wont burn off with a lighter so it looks like oil. it doesnt burn blue smoke that i can see but if youve pinned a zx11 you aint lookin back at full throttle. the plug is on top so either the valve guides are leaking or rings. compression is good but if rings are goin bad the lost oil can seal them and raise compression. so all im seeing is guides are bad and slingin oil on the plug and fouling it. but i got no blue smoke. any ideas ?

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
had another ten minutes today. pulled the carb off again. removed the float and dunked it to see if it was leaking inside. nope. changed the needle o ring. the spec on the float is 13 +/- 2. it was 11.3. readjusted to 13. started her up and fuckin a if she didnt run like a bute. this is the first carb ive ever touched and i dont want to tune them for jets but bring on the rebuilds. thats gravy money right there.

·
688 Posts
Congrats on getting your shiz figured out. Always a good feeling to get a problem like that solved without having to take it to the "professionals".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts