Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
i just started my first streetfighter project, i got my hand on a 1988 suzuki katana, as we all know this is prob the ugliest bike ever produced so i decide to rip everything off of it.... looks much better now, ha.
Now i have an issue tat i could use some advise,the carbs off the katana were shot, lucky for me i have a buddie who had a rack of carbs off a 1998 suzuki bandit 600. so i bought the carbs, they're in great condition. i noticed that the o.d. of the carb on the engine side is 2 mm smaller than the original carbs, looked up new carb spigot boots for a 98 bandit and they arent cheap. they also carry a 20% restock fee so before i pull the trigger on purchacing these i really needed to know if these are interchangable....
i held up the bandit carbs to my katana carb spigot boots and it doesnt fit, one because the boots wont clamp an extra 2 mm in, and two becasue the carbs wont drop into the boots due to an offset issue, the whole rack is a tad bit shorter in total lenght than the originals.
i bought one boot to see if they would bolt right on without any custom fab and they will... but now i need to know if the carbs will fit with all new boots.
its the offset issue, basiclly i need to know if my cyl head from my katana has the same dimensions as the bandit, allowing the carbs to work with new boots, or am i just wasting time and money trying to fit these carbs on.
katana carb spigot boots have 40mm i.d. and have no offset( all carry the same part #)
bandit carb spigot boots have 38mm i.d.(what i need) and DO have an offset.( carry two diff part numbers being left and right side fitment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah they should work. the spacing is the same on about all oil boiler motors. and do you have an ebay account?
because check the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-600-Bandit-1998-98-Intake-Boots-/251002328265?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a70e794c9&vxp=mtr
$20
Wow thanks eatabullet, i hadnt checked ebay just oem and the partsunlimited books at the shop. they are 20+ a piece oem. I'll be picking these up. i figured the offset of the bandit boots would allow the carbs to fit just didnt feel like paying 100+ without being sure. i appreciate the link!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow very nice!!! ive been brainstorming ideas for my subframe as well, ill i know so far is that its gotta go, time to practice my welding.

Ill be posting a build thread soon, BTW mine is a 88' katana, crazy how they barely changed the thing over so many years. picked mine up for 300 to flip it and just decided id rather do a fighter project since i had sold a 75' cb500t that i couldnt bring myself to cafe although i really wanted to. it was wrth too much all orginal.

ugliest bike my ass

·
☢
5,596 Posts
Ugliest fucking bike ever!
oh you!

wow very nice!!! ive been brainstorming ideas for my subframe as well, ill i know so far is that its gotta go, time to practice my welding.

Ill be posting a build thread soon, BTW mine is a 88' katana, crazy how they barely changed the thing over so many years. picked mine up for 300 to flip it and just decided id rather do a fighter project since i had sold a 75' cb500t that i couldnt bring myself to cafe although i really wanted to. it was wrth too much all orginal.
whatever you do, don't just take a hacksaw to the rear to make a bobber. :)
there are a few good kat builds here, most of them involve chopping the entire subframe off, and modding a new tank mount and adapting a newer subframe or custom subframe. i really don't think the frame is that ugly (biased b/c i own one haha)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts