Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another carb thread. I got my CRs fitted and decided to fire the bike up today. Fired up right away but had a small problem. There is a hole drilled in each carb that look like maybe drain holes to keep the bowls from over filling. I had gas pouring out of the #3 and #4 carb even when twisting the throttle. Obviously something isn't right but it make me nervous that it could be an expensive fix. Thoughts?

·
Remi's Dad
17,611 Posts
I'd give them a once over with a float level gauge to make sure it's not flooding.

intake/exhaust mods, climate, altitude and such play a big part in the running condition.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was gonna ask since its obviously flooding. I will pull them off. I was wondering if it was because the jets were too big? Main is 125 and the slow jet is 65. Which on these the main jet is actually an air jet.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
They probably got jarred around during shipping. Setting your float level is a game of micrometers, so a hard fall could upset it. Now that I think about it, everything on a carburetor is a game of micrometers. Like Ultimate and Shiny said, a good once over should take care of everything.

After checking everything, if it still floods, I'd replace the float valves. If it still floods after that, then maybe look at resizing the jets.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm thinking since yesterday was the second time the have ever been used

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it figured out. The floats were stuck. As soon as I pulled the bowls it caused the floats to unstick and go back in place. Went ahead and measured all the float heights just to be sure and they are all spot on. Hooked them back up and turned the fuel on and they didn't flood!! Cant wait to get my new throttle cables so I can fire this beast up!!

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Me too! I just don't understand cause the bike starts and runs great. It is very responsive with a smooth idle and crisp throttle response. Im thinking that maybe my jets are one size too big. The floats moved freely and everything was spotless and looked brand new. Im really starting to get aggravated.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a thought. Please tell me if I'm wrong. When I started the bike I left the fuel off like a complete noobie. Both times. Is it possible that the bowls drained and that caused the floats to stick. The only reason I ask is because when I installed them Saturday I turned the fuel on to fill the bowls and left it on to see if they overflowed. They didn't. Not till I started the bike with the fuel off. I know that points to a problem with them sticking or hanging down too low but it's a fixable symptom.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everything was pretty spotless. Pulled the number 4 carb and the float had stuck. I ran it for about 10 min and it's working great now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.