Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to build a bike frame out of carbon fiber? I've just never seen it, but if it were possible it seems like a good idea. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it were possible. Think how light of a bike you could make if the frame, swingarm, rims, fairings and everything else were carbon fiber? I mean, they make pretty much everything else out of it, so why no frames?

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
ab420 said:
I don't know, but I will find out, because that would be sweet. I'll get back to you on that, although it may take a little while...

The main problems that I see are:

A. Cost
B. Brackets, mounts, etc. (Swingarm pivot, neck, etc)
C. Aint broke don't fix it.

I think at a certain point bikes will stop getting lighter. They need to have some weight to them.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
The cost would definitely be an issue, the mounting could be figured out. True, bikes do need to have some weight to them, but for things like trials bikes, it could be helpful, plus think of the show bikes. Those guys spend $100,000 on a bike that they'll never ride, and they love carbon fiber, so I think a few people might be interested.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
wait till you see my buddies bamboo frame bike!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those guys spend $100,000 on a bike that they'll never ride, and they love carbon fiber, so I think a few people might be interested
yea, I could see show bikes rocking a carbon fiber frame.

wait till you see my buddies bamboo frame bike!
I WANT ONE! LOL! Just kidding!

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
I could definitely see it being used by BMW. They are insane with some of their concepts. They have a hydrogen fuel-cell bike that they built that is pretty crazy and super-light. They love messing with the craziest technology, so I could see them using a carbon-fiber frame in one of their concepts (whether or not it would make production is iffy...)

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
ab420 said:
That bike John Britten built had a frame made of carbon fiber and kevlar! :D
damn i bet thats a hell of a weight saver!

·
British Rider
216 Posts
hey it would be a bitch top mek one cause ya av to first mek a plastic mold then lay layers of carbon in to it then it goes in a vacum oven type thing wouldnt be hard for the trials bikea though
it would be easy if ya had a gud process or a solid design for joining the seperate bits but i just dont no how thats done

the problem is designing a mould that can be reused then ya could push out hundreds a day

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
spartanrider said:
Carbo Tech makes a carbon fiber frame for the Ducati 916.Retails for 14,995.00 U.S.

i fuckin love this guy!!! he doesnt post often, but its quality when he does!

:metal: :rock:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
jiffty said:
hey it would be a bitch top mek one cause ya av to first mek a plastic mold then lay layers of carbon in to it then it goes in a vacum oven type thing wouldnt be hard for the trials bikea though
it would be easy if ya had a gud process or a solid design for joining the seperate bits but i just dont no how thats done

the problem is designing a mould that can be reused then ya could push out hundreds a day

id be happy to make one a month, with that selling price! :LolLolLolLol:

·
Welcome to the new day...
2,672 Posts
Hi I mnet one of you guys when I was at SKY scycle teh other day and got a flyer. Ilive i China and make custom Carbon FIber parts.

I talked to the shop about frames. It can be done yes and I have seen one that was done the hard part are if there are any inlays for receiving bolts. not impossible just a real bitch to do.

We were going to make bycycle frames but it proved to hard. Maybe motorcycle frames would be easier. The mold costs and per piece costs would kill you though.

If you go to my space http://spaces.msn.com/chinaracer1/ you can see a few things got going on.

Whos in chaarge of this site? wanted to talk about doing a members discount on Fiberglass adn Carbon fenders & Huggers.

Steve
[email protected]

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
ChinaSteve said:
Hi I mnet one of you guys when I was at SKY scycle teh other day and got a flyer. Ilive i China and make custom Carbon FIber parts.

I talked to the shop about frames. It can be done yes and I have seen one that was done the hard part are if there are any inlays for receiving bolts. not impossible just a real bitch to do.

We were going to make bycycle frames but it proved to hard. Maybe motorcycle frames would be easier. The mold costs and per piece costs would kill you though.

If you go to my space http://spaces.msn.com/chinaracer1/ you can see a few things got going on.

Whos in chaarge of this site? wanted to talk about doing a members discount on Fiberglass adn Carbon fenders & Huggers.

Steve
[email protected]
You probably spoke with Adam (929_Adam on this site), he and I run this site. China, huh? That's awesome! Good to see we've got some members over there too! :rock: We are working on opening a store online very soon as well, private message me on the site or email me [email protected] and we can talk some business!

And welcome to the site!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
ChinaSteve said:

Steve, glad to see you signed up. Thanks.

You spoke with me at sky. I was interested in doing something with you, and hopefully hopping up one of the customfighters.com project bikes with some accessories from you.

my email is [email protected] or [email protected]

keep in touch.

:cfrocks:

·
Registered
24 Posts
durius:rastaman2: has a r1 w/ a carbon fiber swaybay,probably the sickest bike Ive ever seen

1 - 20 of 41 Posts