Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a fun little toy and started my modifications.

Modifications before I purchased...
Delvic Exhaust
Pazzo Adjustable Levers
Minor elimination of the rear fender
Solo Seat cowl and spacer color matched to original.
Mini LED stalks in the front attached rather poorly to the bracketry with two washers and a nut in a large triangular hole.

Edit: New Pictures

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already ordered a set of Superbike bars for her as the current ones are horrible close to my hands and are at an awkward angle.

About to go raise the preload to max and take some night time shots before the morning comes, so much fun.

EDIT:
Can't leave anything alone, preloads are set to max and three sets of plastic have been removed.

Already decide the triples and fork bottoms need to be painted black to match the frame and swing arm. The V in the top triples needs to go and the gauges/headlight need to come closer to the forks. (I removed the bikini fairing as part of those three plastic sets.)

Some inspiration for me to look on...

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, first things first, pictures added to original post.

I took a nice long ride on her today and have to say that she is amazing, plenty of power down low and able to accelerate in any gear. I think I might be hooked on V-Twin power. :letsride: Took my first trip up to the local ski area (one of the only curvy roads in the neighborhood) and she handled like a dream, need to work on my chicken strips.

Modifications in the near future:
Black Superbike Bars
ZX14 rear shock
Undertail modification (I hate how much room it currently takes.)
Complete Fender Eliminator (Probably home made from sheet metal.)
Integrated Tail light
Stainless Steel Brake lines
Exhaust hanger creation
Removal of passenger pegs
Maintenance (Oil change, radiator fluid flush and fill, chain clean lube and adjust, brake fluid flush and bleed. Anything else here, recently went though a 27k mile inspection at a motorcycle shop I trust?)

Modification in the not so near future:
Removal of V on top triples
Black paint/powder on triples and fork lowers
Color change on wheels (Help break up the black. Possibly to the color of the engine.)
Rearset changes (Probably just modify the current ones to have less material in the non structural areas and changing the heel guards.)

Modifications in the far future:
GSXR USD front end
GSXR rear wheel swap
GSXR (K5+) tail swap
Through swinger high mount exhaust

Reminder:
These are all up to change and in no particular order or time frame (could be years), but most will get done. Any other ideas?

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Higher quality pictures have been uploaded in the first post.

Also, since taking these pictures this afternoon, I removed the rear signals due to them being out of place. Tempted to grab an SV650S top triple and clip ons to give myself a cleaner front end. Also do not like the massive size of the gauges or how much the silver bits stick out... must wait for summer.

Adjust and lubed the chain and found the masterlink clip had come off somewhere... so I grabbed one I had and threw it on. Kind of an awful feeling.

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Adjust and lubed the chain and found the masterlink clip had come off somewhere... so I grabbed one I had and threw it on. Kind of an awful feeling.
Wait... you mean your chain is held on with clips and not rivets?

Ug, that would scare the shit out of me.

I like where your ideas are headed for this build. You'll want the GSXR front end sooner then you'd expect. When I was riding with the stock front end I had a few instances where the bike would 'wiggle' as I was cornering through some dips... it was enough to give me butterflies in the chest. After the swap and on the same patch of road, no wiggle, just stuck to the road and got the job done.

Good luck with the mods!

(subbed)

Sympul

Reactions: ants

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lost pictures...

Playing around, trying to get rid of these chicken strips. I have less than a half inch on back and quarter inch on front. This is the only road with twists close by. (Not the one in the picture, but the one leading up to it. It's pretty well kept up and recently repaved.)

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went for a Mother's Day picnic with the family and then went for a drive. Unfortunately, it wasn't the prettiest of weather.

Lost Pictures...

Saw this little building and had to have some pictures, but it was private property and I try to respect other people's things.

Lost Pictures...

I keep saying I need a better camera, maybe I will get something other than my phone someday. There aren't many places where you can see for 70-100 miles at a time in many directions.

Lost Pictures...

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MMMmmm... New shoes, Shino 009 Ravens in 120/60/17 and 160/60/17. Complete confidence going 5 MPH over my previous average on my local curvy road and that was when they were brand new. Took it 60% the first run and they gripped well enough for me to go more.

Lost Pictures...

And the quick and dirty fix for my headlight, walked into an office supply store and asked for 6" of shipping tape. It's held for 3 weeks now and I have a bucket on the way to replace the plastic one.

Lost Pictures...

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I went out and did 20 miles in back dirt/sand roads today with my new tires... was a blast and lets me know just how stupid I am in the sand. Every error I made was multiplied, every chopped throttle, every over correction on the bars, just wow. But, the tires are still in great shape, nothing poking through them and I kept the bike upright the whole time. Averaged 10-15 MPH.

Next time, I think I may look into non-sportbike tires for sandy roads.

Side note, was curious and looked at my second tripmeter, I have ridden her 2400 miles since late March.

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If anyone isn't a night owl and hasn't felt the complete peace while riding at night... They will never know why some of us are. Just went 100 miles to my two close by playgrounds and wow...

On that note, here are some pictures!
My girl looking over her city.

Albuquerque at night.

Our local ski area at night. (Gate was closed and I couldn't find a safe way to get the SV into the parking lot...)

Now that she has made me happy, she will get a chain cleaning and lube tomorrow evening.

EDIT: So far, I have been loving these Shinkos, they perform just as I have expected in every environment thrown at them. Plus, they look good.

They seem to warm up quickly (second and third turn I usually make from my house is a nice 30 MPH - 35 MPH chicane with a 35*-40* lean angle, 100 yards from home) and stay warm enough for my spirited riding (nothing too hard, just a bit playful). I have not yet ridden on the wet, but expect them to do quite well.

Just got a new toy, a Wen 5 Gallon Air Compressor and will be able to change my own tires now. Also will help me play with different pressures.

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saturday night, I changed the oil and jazz, cleaned and lubed the chain with Bel Ray Super Clean (that stuff really dries white...), and swapped out my headlight. Went for a short ride to make sure everything was all good. The stock SV headlight really throws more light to the sides compared to my stock GS750 headlight which really throws more light forward. Really considering saving up for a nice projector headlight and a set of Trailtech gauges, getting tired of just having an educated guess of what my speed is. It is really nice having the sweeping tachometer though, so I may go with the Koso (or the knockoff).

All of this in preperation for a just under 500 mile trip yesterday, Albuquerque to Raton via NM 4 and US 64. I was scheduled to meet a friend in Raton at 2:00 and was planning on leaving at 8:00. Woke up late at 9:30, so I wasn't able to get any pictures of the way up. Did grab some on the way down though.

Lost Pictures...

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought some new toys as I have been out riding my headlight quite a bit and am a little tired of the poor speedo... new statistics show me close to a 12%-13% error indicated. (Indicated 68 MPH with a 60 MPH radar sign in Los Alamos and 34 MPH indicated with 30 MPH radar sign at the sun port.)

So, pictures!

Bi Xenon projector with H11(?) upper bulb as added high beam. (I am thinking a bright yellow light in the upper section and some silver metallic paint in the turn signals to get better display.) Already tested with the bike and have though up 90% of my mounting, but have more work to plan.

Koso RX-1N, real thing. If I am going to do this bike right, might as well do it right from the beginning. (Tempted to try the knock off Koso on my GS750.)

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took a slight tumble on my bike, already have all the parts ordered to repair her, but will be off her for a week or so until they come in.

The only damage I have is some road rash on my leg that my kneepads didn't catch (tore through the strap and the unit twisted on my leg), some road rash on my shoulder that my jacket didn't catch (it did its job, I will post some pictures when I take some) and some ground off skin on my lower pinky knuckle on my right hand where my gloves tore through. Overall, I came out pretty well and am happy to not need the doctors for anything.

1 - 20 of 264 Posts