Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://s842.photobucket.com/user/sc...131209_204857_zps82193e78.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Just got ahold of is bike from a friend of mines dad. It has 2400 miles on it and less than 500 on the motor rebuild. He told me its been punched out to a 1256 with cams, ported and polished heads, new cf carb set up, And an ontario mach 2 header. I want to change some hings on it but still be able to recognize it. Im thinking new rear swingarm and front forks to modernize it and be able to run a wider rear tire. What are the bikes that the swingarms and forks will swap out onto this bike without having to hack to it?

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
No offense meant by it, but maybe look into just a wheel swap to begin with. CBR wheels look the tits and retain the stock components needed in the rear to keep it looking mostly original. The forks on the other hand should be a direct swap with most other Honda's, at most a stem swap or a bearing swap would suffice to fit almost any CBR front end to the bike.

That thing is beautiful, and you may not be aware that there really are not many of them left. Millions of 750F's out there to molest, but only a few 1100F's to preserve as vintage hotrods. I would try to keep the updates as tasteful and period spec looking as possible. ;)

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
If this was a 900f or 750f I would tell you to dive in, but I agree with RF...please keep it as tasteful as possible. These bikes are rare and are disappearing fast. Lots of Honda parts out there that will slot right in. CBR F2 wheel will fit right in the forks and you could get a CBR900 rear that will fit with slight modification. Also, if you never plan on returning this to stock, the parts are pretty valuable.

Its already a gorgeous bike. Cant wait to see where it goes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive also thought about doing it the way it would have been at the racetrack back in its day, where can I get some info on how they were setup as far as tires and suspension and also number plates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do like the cbr f2 wheels, will the rotors and sproketsswitch from one to another and if the f2 rear wheel is wider how will that effect the sproket and chain.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
I do like the cbr f2 wheels, will the rotors and sproketsswitch from one to another and if the f2 rear wheel is wider how will that effect the sproket and chain.

Before I answer this for ya, have you even ridden the bike? This seems to be more about the look of it than actually improving upon it... like said before there are alot of 750's if you really want to cut your teeth on a vintage Honda super sport build.

Basically NOTHING is going to be compatible. The CBR parts are 100% different than the 1100F. You would need the CBR600F2 front wheel, some custom spacers, and the speedo drive from the CBR. For the rear you can either machine down the cush drive for a 900RR rear wheel, or you can find a VF500F unit to run in place of the 900 setup in order to get the chain runout correct. The need for spacers arises again as you likely will need to have custom ones made for the rear wheel swap. The rear brake caliper may or may not work, I am not aware of the details of how the brake diameters compare.

The old superbike spec setups were merely a number plate and some light weight wheels and better brakes. The engine in yours is pretty much on par with the old superbike prep's I've seen. Once again, just get a bloody 750F and build a Freddie Spencer replica. ;)

99% of what you want to do to this 1100F would better serve a 750F, leaving the 1100 serving as something special to ride when it counts. If you want, you can sell me the 1100F and that would be worth enough to build TWO, 750F's. :D:D:D (just kidding... or am I? :D)

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
If you look at the link in my sig, for my '80 CB750 F , I had some CBR forks and stuff on that bike. I'm putting F3 rims and forks on it now and it worked out pretty easy. CBR 600 F2 trees go on with conversion bearings and will hold F3 forks. The F3 rear rims went on easy enough with a simple primary sprocket spacer. I don't know if all the dimension of my 750 are the same as your 1100 , but it's all in that thread incase it helps. The speedo drive on the Hurricane wheels read correct with the factory speedo. The F3 rims have no provision for a mechanical speedo.

In the end it worked out pretty good and 17'' tires are mighty nice IMO. You can get some decent 18'' & 19'' tires too, but 17's are hard to beat. It's a way to improve the bike without permanently altering it. Bolt on mods?Sure Chopping the frame? No way IMO.

I'm actually selling my Hurricane rims with the tires still on them soon if interested. Sorry for threadjacking with a For Sale post, just letting you know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am by no means cutting this bike apart, its in way to good of shape. I own a fab shop where I live I just dont know much about these types of bikes and what fits what. I more deal with old hondas and turn those into bobbers and cafe style bikes than anything. I just dont want to buy a bunch of parts for no reason. The only reason I want to upgrade the wheels and tires is because my buddys dad used to race bikes back in the day and and he had said amount of power that this bike has he said just blows the tire off of it without trying at all, and thats why it has so low mileage because it was parkes because of it being iffy, and im not a fan of the skinny tires to begin with lol

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
sounds fishy to me

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
I am by no means cutting this bike apart, its in way to good of shape. I own a fab shop where I live I just dont know much about these types of bikes and what fits what. I more deal with old hondas and turn those into bobbers and cafe style bikes than anything. I just dont want to buy a bunch of parts for no reason. The only reason I want to upgrade the wheels and tires is because my buddys dad used to race bikes back in the day and and he had said amount of power that this bike has he said just blows the tire off of it without trying at all, and thats why it has so low mileage because it was parkes because of it being iffy, and im not a fan of the skinny tires to begin with lol

Tire technology has come a LONG way in the past 10 years. Width doesn't really matter all that much anymore and the usual tire that those bikes ran, the Bridgestone Spitfire, was a terrible shit pile of a tire to begin with compared to modern rubber. Wider 17's with the same compound you are trying to replace would be just as greasy, 135hp is just that, 135hp, tire compound is going to make the biggest difference. The old superbikes ran the same sizes you have currently...

Maybe check out 1100F.net? They have all sorts of info on wheel swaps and other ways to improve the bike. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts