Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my name is Josh. I live in Central IL in the middle of nowhere with no resources other than what is in my garage.

This summer I picked up an 81 CB750 from my buddy that didn't want it anymore (he has another 81 750) for $400. A little carb work and it was up and running. Ugly as sin, but running. CB15.jpg

Once I got it home, I ditched the rusty old K tank. Bought an F tank and made custom mounts for it to ride the frame. The seats are obviously a n issue on these bikes, i ditched it all. Welded in a frame hoop. Then gave my best shot at making a fiberglass seat pan. This was my first experience ever using fiberglass or bondo. It turned out pretty well though. Sent everything off to be painted white with blue pearl by a good friend of mine. CB13.jpg CB11.jpg

After paint it was a series of electrical tidying and replacing, Gasket replacements, tidying up the forks and bar area, and 4 into 1 exhaust. CB5.jpg However, the forks sucked. I wasn't happy with the performance at all out of the suspension. So I bought a 91 GSXR750 Slingshot roller for $120 and dug into the bike once again.

Front end was fairly easy with some guidance from some friends on a Facebook group. Sliding out the existing bearings, pressing in new and bolting up to the CB and that was about the extent of that. The rear end became much more tricky. I wanted to keep the stock swingarm and the GSXR rear rim wouldn't work. So with advise from a friend Julian (He's on here, don't know his Username yet), I got a RF600 wheel and GS500 cush drive and it all lined up perfectly. CB1.jpg

Currently the tire is being installed. Once i get it back I will be mocking up the rear brakes, making mounts for the caliper. Then I'll be diving into trying to figure out how to run the GSXR rearsets on this bike for a much more comfortable and effective riding position. Comment with any input, Thanks!

P.S I think I attached pictures correctly but I could be wrong..

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
Hey Josh, Julian here. Welcome to CF :drinks: Now you have my user name. Its kinda long, but as my name implies, I like bikes without forks.

Your CB750 looks amazing. I really like the bodywork... nice upgrade on the tank... and normally I don't like the bare, flat, maxi-pad looking seats, but you've added a nice trim of bodywork around it so it looks much more purposeful than I've seen on other bikes. Well done!

I really want to see how this turns out, so feel free to jump over to the Member Project Bike section and start a build thread. Cheers!:fu:

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
Okay, one more comment / suggestion... I assume that at some point you'll want to upgrade the rear shocks to something better and more modern. So, PLEASE DO NOT get the cheap $80 Chinese shocks that are all over eBay. These are complete garbage. I cant tell you how many big bike shows I've been to and seen these crappy shocks on some very nice custom builds. They are cheap and look nice, but inside they are complete junk.

As an alternative (this is my secret) get a set of OEM Yamaha / Ohlins shocks from a late 90s era SRX snowmobile. I've seen these on eBay for $300-400 a set. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Yamaha-SRX-Front-Ski-Shocks-600-700-Rebuilt/184177745669?hash=item2ae1d95f05:g:0KcAAOSwDeReTZu~ Usually they need some cleaning and new paint on the springs, but inside is genuine Ohlins and they work! Because they are designed for sleds, they are much stiffer than what is normally used on a motorcycle, so you have to radically adjust the mounting location (effective geometry). So you need to fabricate new mounting locations on the frame (shock position more angled and moved forward), but with your welding experience that should be a walk in the park.

Keep us posted.

Here's what the Ohlins shocks look like on a bike...

[/url]20190901_070048 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, one more comment / suggestion... I assume that at some point you'll want to upgrade the rear shocks to something better and more modern. So, PLEASE DO NOT get the cheap $80 Chinese shocks that are all over eBay. These are complete garbage. I cant tell you how many big bike shows I've been to and seen these crappy shocks on some very nice custom builds. They are cheap and look nice, but inside they are complete junk.

As an alternative (this is my secret) get a set of OEM Yamaha / Ohlins shocks from a late 90s era SRX snowmobile. I've seen these on eBay for $300-400 a set. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Yamaha-SRX-Front-Ski-Shocks-600-700-Rebuilt/184177745669?hash=item2ae1d95f05:g:0KcAAOSwDeReTZu~ Usually they need some cleaning and new paint on the springs, but inside is genuine Ohlins and they work! Because they are designed for sleds, they are much stiffer than what is normally used on a motorcycle, so you have to radically adjust the mounting location (effective geometry). So you need to fabricate new mounting locations on the frame (shock position more angled and moved forward), but with your welding experience that should be a walk in the park.

Keep us posted.

Here's what the Ohlins shocks look like on a bike...

[/url]20190901_070048 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]
Those Ohlins do sound like a good alternative. I'll run stocks before you ever see me throw RFY's or whatever on this bike haha!

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
So freaking true,they shoudnt be allowed to sell the crap.

Welcom in great work .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts