Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to make my build thread. I bought this bike completely stock in '09. In 2011, I bought another identical 954, only it had a better top fairing. I was going to swap fairings with it on my bike - and while I had the fairings off getting ready to swap them - I took a ride around the block with no fairings. I loved it, and decided I was never putting fairings back on.

Before I took my bike apart last year, it looked like this.

I have a Buell to ride in the mean time - So I'm going to take my time with the build now and it'll be a slow process, hopefully done by the end of this year. Now, its been in various stages from this :

and a pile of parts in the corner. I've moved since I've decided to break it down.

So far:

I've built the motor out to 980cc:

13.5:1 Weisco

Webcam Regrind cams:

These aren't all the pics from the motor build. You can see it on CBRF if you're really curious. I'm currently building a head that's ported with tighter springs so that I can run 1000rr electronics and spin the bike up to 13.5 rpms. I have to modify the head so that I can fit a Hall type cam pulse sensor that the 08 1000rr uses. I found one from a Ducati that almost fits. I've used Haybusa TB boots to fit the newer 1000rr throttle bodies.

And I've modified the airbox for the 1000rr to fit inside the 954 frame.

I also have Hindle headers to make a custom exhaust with that will be a simple under belly exhaust. I want to use a delkelvic end can for it.

As far as the front end goes:
Diamond Back Designs has made a really nice set of triple trees for me. They are sweet. I'm going to try to put '12 CBR 1000rr BPF in them and use a zx 14 rim (to match the rear wheel) with hopefully some brembo monoblocs (just OEM gixxer ones) with a brembo M/C off of an R1. Right now, I have EXP bars - but I may switch to a drag bar depending on how I like everything when it gets together.

I also have to build a gas tank sort of like the 600rr/1000rr or R1 because the air box with the dual injection is so tall that the oem 954 tank doesn't fit anywhere near the way it should. Plus I'd like to build an airbox cover with gauges frenched into them.

And I'll have to build a subframe that can support my weight only and I'll be doing a different tail. I've already changed my mind 10 times on the tail (rc8 to 600rr to bobber to mini bike to a gemo type etc), and the subframe, so I'm going to wait until the bike is about to be done to decide which way I'm going.

I've also started to shave the various tabs off of the SSSA. It along with the frame, engine mount, dog bones, triangle (that I still have to make), subframe, brake mount, etc will all be powder coated black. The tank and tail will be painted "titanium" as Honda calls it. I love the color and I think it'll be cool to have the same OEM paint on a bike that's going to be completely unrecognizable.

I'll be posting and looking for feedback here in a little while. I have to sell a 600rr that I've been working on - and then that should free up some money.

I'll be trying to figure out the ECU and electronics first, and then I'll be working on the tank/air box cover. I don't really feel comfortable mounting a tank mount to the frame side tubes, so I think the back of the gas tank will be supported on the subframe, and then the front will be supported by brackets that fit around the airbox and onto the brace under the air box. Then the airbox cover will mount to the front of the tank (back of air box cover) and the front will mount to where the stock 954 tank mounts. Does that sound like a good idea to you guys? Something similar to this is what I'm trying to explain

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That rim on the back looks killa. If only there was a matching front available. Sub'd for sure
Yeah, the 3 spoke is definitely going to go.

I'm going to use a zx14 front rim - it's a closer match. Streetfighter, the member, used those on his cbr1k fighter, and gave me the tip on how to fit them. I think it'll be a pretty good match and look for the bike

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Damn you've been holding out on us.

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, there's a ton of work left to do.

The hardest part is going to be adapting the new 1000rr electronics over. They changed a ton of stuff in 08 (different type of sensors) as opposed to 2004-07. But I wanted the bigger TB's, and the higher RPMS of that generation.

I have a 600rr that I need to sell, and once I get that out of the way, I'll have some money to really get this bike going.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
What size rear tire is that rim running and what is the brand of the rim?

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What size rear tire is that rim running and what is the brand of the rim?
17x7 XXR 006 Rim. In that picture, it's actually running a 190 pilot power that I had laying around mostly used up. I remember thinking it was odd when I finally mounted it on there. I had 2 954's at the time - one which was stock and the fighter one.

Here's a 190 Pirelli on a 954 rim compared to the 190 Pilot Power on the car rim. I thought it was a pretty substantial difference - the 190 looks a lot wider

Here's a 200 Shinko 010 Apex.

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some work done today.

I pulled a little bit of ebay "trickery". I had a hunch that the 900rr (98-99) used the same exact stem as the 954. So I was able to get my hands on a triple tree from a 900rr for $25 shipped (to use the stem) and then sold my 954 triple tree for a whole lot more. Plus I was able to get the hardware I was missing.

Anyways, here are the stems sitting side by side

Here's everything pressed into my my bottom tree

Here's everything all together. It looks EXACTLY how I wanted it to. Big and beefy!

Here's what the frame looks like after I grinded off the tab.

Here's the triple tree installed on the bike.

Here's what it could look like with the bars (although I AM switching to drag bars - so these bars are for sale - ask me if you're interested)

Mike from Dbackdesigns made the triple for me. I'm going to plan on getting an R1 tank from an 04-06 bike. I think that will work for me as far as the new airbox set up. The 954 tank will never work with that 1000rr airbox.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Freakin' nice clamps man! Like that...

What's up with the hole in the neck though?! Is that shit kosher? Are you going to weld it up or anything?...
My spidey sense tells me hole in frames are generally frowned upon lol...

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's up with the hole in the neck though?! Is that shit kosher? Are you going to weld it up or anything?...
My spidey sense tells me hole in frames are generally frowned upon lol...
Yeah - I had concerns about that too.

I started this thread a while ago.
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68842

So after that and the advice I received there, I think I might go the JB weld route. I absolutely have to fill in the hole somehow (I'll be removing the top tab too) to keep water,dirt, etc. off of the bearings for the stem. But this is just for mock up right now

And after I ground it down, I was inspecting the hole, and inside the neck, you can see how thin the aluminum is there (you can kind of see it in the close up of the triple tree/frame from the side). There's no way it's a high stress area. But yeah, unfortunately - that's the size of the hole there when it's ground down flush with the rest of the neck...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Damn I thought my new triples were beefy they have nothing on those monsters you have

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought an R1 tank off of ebay to see if it would fit or to see if it'd be easy to modify and fit. I thought it might work because the fuel pump fits and it would clear the air box.

And well - it's way off. It's too wide, and even if I narrowed it a bit (which wouldn't be too hard), I'd have to cut the back off of it and relocate the fuel pump in order to clear the back of the frame.

....so now I have an R1 tank for sale. hahaha

I cut up a junked 954 tank I bought for $20 to see if I could make it clear the air box and maybe modify the tank enough to use it and still keep about the same fuel capacity that it had stock.

Here's all that I cut out.

And now it works great with plenty of room. It was really the sides more so that the absolute top. I worked my hand underneath the tank and I think I can make a floor for the tank right around the fuel cap and seal it well.

Then I trimmed it up a bit more (and got the SSSA back on there)

I have no idea how much fuel capacity I'll lose with that much cut off - but I was thinking I could add to the back of the tank like they did with the IOMTT 929.

http://www.visordown.com/features/the-most-exotic-honda-cbr954rr-ever/14001-3.html

·
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, new bars are here and on. They look much better than the EXP. They're a drag bar set up. It's more aggressive than the EXP bars for sure (which are for sale - if you want them, ask me)

And for those of you who are really looking at it - That 600rr master cylinder CLEARLY won't work. The lines hook up right where the fork would come through. But - that's okay, I wasn't really planing on using it.

I'm going to be buying a radial Master Cylinder off of an R1 (it's a brembo and radial...) Also, I'm going to be using the Sumitomo Monoblocs off of an R6. That combo should be able to get me stopped pretty quick.

So after doing some calculations on Specs of the forks and viffer arm conversion - Overall the bike is going to run about a half inch to a full inch lower that the 954 does regularly. I prefer to ride bikes that are raised up. (I had my fully faired 954 raised an inch and I had an f4i shock on my F3 which raised it a couple of inches). So the subframe that I do build is going to be a lot higher than it normally comes off. I'm going to shoot for building it 2.5 nches taller at the tank than the OEM subframe. It'll look better, it'll be what I prefer to ride, and it's going to give me more room for a bigger extension on the back of the gas tank.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts