Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
clean fight
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 cbr f4 won't start for me . I thought the battery was dead after sitting all winter and freezing. Had it checked at my local shop and they said its fine. I charged it,installed, and ...nothing.
No fuel pump buzz. No lights. When I push the starter it sends a little black box clicking and freaking out. Looked on parts fiche & It's a power relay.
Unplug it and the lights come on but still no fuel pump sound.
Ordered a replacement relay from eBay. Came in today and plugged it in and SAME F'NG THING!
Clearly the relay itself is not the problem.
I don't know where to go from here . So far I'm just going through checking connections. All looks good so far.
Also, when I flip the kill switch to "off " the lights come on.
When I turn it back on the lights go almost all the way out. Very low power glow.
Power relay continues to click until I turn the key off ..
Please help point me in the right direction?
Thanks guys!

·
2,779 Posts
have you tried plugging it to a jumper batery (car/truck)?

Had similar issues with Mrs Bobs Thundersplat... Battery read good & after fully recharging nothing but clicking relays. Turned out the battery was kaput after all. Hooked it up to the truck to test and it worked perfect.. So, new battery and sorted :D

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Bypass the tip over sensor. Should get the fuel pump going. Im in a very similar situation with my f4i. Fuel pump primes but nothing. Relay clicks mad.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
clean fight
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob, I think that you may have the solution. I plugged it to a jump-charger and it all lit up and kicked over.
I have to put it back together a bit before I can actually run it, but I'm pretty sure this is the answer.
I feel a bit dense for just believing the test gadget at the shop when I thought my battery was toast to begin with.
Doh!
Thanks
Will update when I get it all running...

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Did you buy that relay used? Is it a Chinese made "cheap" relay? I've bought both used Factory Suzuki relays as well as brand new ebay relays and they were both fucked. Something to think about. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
clean fight
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JJ,
It is used OEM from what seemed to be a reputable eBay parts shop(good feedback score )
They listed it as tested and in good working order, but I don't know how to check it really. I'm hoping to get the new battery today of the shop is open (memorial day weekend).
Hopefully have a good report coming by tomorrow...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts