Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
What??
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the bike today and took it for a ride. Started right up with a bit of choke. Once i got it running i think it started to run on 3 cyl but i took of anyway, about 200m it stalled and i couldnt start without choke and it then stalled again and so on getting harder to start till it didnt.

I have cleaned the carbs and got new gas before this happened, only thing i can think if is the plugs but is it possible that the bike could stall just when warmed up?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Possibly, what you described kind of sounds like fouled plugs. My other thought is water in the fuel, drain the bowls into a clear container and check.

Did the bike run fine last time you went to use it and this just suddenly happened, or was this the first ride since having the carbs apart?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
If say check the plugs if it started idled and all that good stuff then it started running on 3 cylinders I'd check the plugs.

·
What??
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possibly, what you described kind of sounds like fouled plugs. My other thought is water in the fuel, drain the bowls into a clear container and check.

Did the bike run fine last time you went to use it and this just suddenly happened, or was this the first ride since having the carbs apart?
I got the bike this winter and now it had been running bad the few times iv been out riding it

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
It's better to replace them all with the manufacture recommended plugs this way you can tune your carbs to how the plugs look and find out why it is fouling the plug.

·
What??
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check for a stuck carb float!! it can give you the same symptoms as you are getting!!
Yea i dont think thats the problem, iv cleaned the carbs and the floats can move up n down good but what can i do IF they keep getting stuck?

·
What??
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's better to replace them all with the manufacture recommended plugs this way you can tune your carbs to how the plugs look and find out why it is fouling the plug.
Yes i just want to se if there is any improvment at all by changing the plug

·
Registered
740 Posts
Mixing heat range plugs won't really hurt anything in a pinch, though you should try to use all the same just for consistency.

You might check for a bright blue strong spark also. Orangeish/yellow sparks are weak and can end up fouling the plug.

Good compression? Low compression can result in the cylinder fouling the plug.

Did you check the jetting while you had the carbs apart? Possibly a previous owner installed a jet kit or something that was way off.

I would double check all the choke plungers as well, just because it's commonly overlooked in carb cleanings.

·
old fart
3,664 Posts
Yea i dont think thats the problem, iv cleaned the carbs and the floats can move up n down good but what can i do IF they keep getting stuck?
I found when mine stuck i had to remove the carbs turn them upside down remove the float bowls, make sure everything was free, then re build them while they are still upside down, then re fit them.
they seamed to have a float stick if i tried to change the main jets with the carbs still on the bike! I never found any floats sticking, just the bike would only fire on three when one was sticking, some times a knock on the float bowls with a small hammer would free it off, but on the majority of times i had to remove the carbs and do the procedure previously told.
once freed off they seem to stay free, but if the carbs are emptied of fuel or had the bowls removed i would sometimes get stuck floats without knowing the cause.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I doubt it. As long as the engine cranks over strong you should be fine in that department.

The fast way to rule it out is just put a charger on the battery and try starting it.

Ignition boxes are designed to work with as low as 8 or 9 volts so they still function with the load of the starter motor active while cranking. Also to allow you to bump start it even if the battery is totally flat.

·
What??
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I doubt it. As long as the engine cranks over strong you should be fine in that department.

The fast way to rule it out is just put a charger on the battery and try starting it.

Ignition boxes are designed to work with as low as 8 or 9 volts so they still function with the load of the starter motor active while cranking. Also to allow you to bump start it even if the battery is totally flat.
Okej, iv recharged the battery and i can get the start motor to crank well for about 10 times then the battery looses power. Bought a new one today and will try to fix the bike this weekend.

Say if the floats get stuck after a while riding, what can i do to prevent this to happen?? Iv heard of vasseline on the floatneedle..but could the float itself get stuck to the floatbowl walls??

·
What??
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the bike didnt start so i pumped fuel into the carbs via the drain.

bike started and ran on all cyl but only ran till the floatbowls was empty.

The pipe to the right in the pic was just not as hot as the others to the left, could be cuz i might not had pumped just as much fuel into this carb as to the others..

The cylinder to this pipe was the one that didnt run and the vacuum hose for all of the carbs is connected to this cyl, so if its not running no carb will get fuel.

so could this be the problem that the carbs not sucking gas?

The bike are running fine when getting gas, but it dosnt get gas so what is the problem?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
The battery would have nothing to do with only one cylinder fouling, but the battery could also be an entirely different problem. It sounds like its a problem solely with the fuel system and not the ignition system but don't ruule it out completely.
I'm gonna throw some questions your way that maybe will get you to think of some things you haven't yet. Could it be you have any sediment in the fuel system, from the bottom of the tank? When you cleaned your carbs how thorough were you? Did you run some welding wire or something through every jet and all of that to knock out every bit of ethanol gunk out of it?

You said all of a sudden it's running fine on all cylinders. Sounds like you were repeatedly getting a blockage to the one carb and now it's freed up. I'm glad you're bike is running again and you should enjoy it but I wouldn't take it on any long commuted for a while. I would ride it on several very short distance trips and see how She acts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts