Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been reading CF forums over 100 hours in the past 6 month and now im going to start my own thread.
I started my CBR project earlier this winter and been doing modification whenever i have some spare time.

This is how my bike looked before i started the project. I had made some mild modification new silencer, chainguard, removed hugger etc

Here's my lousy workspace

Started with shortening my way too long silencer

cutted 1/3 off

Banged at the end piece with the hammer until it fitted inside of the other half and riveted it back together.

Started to take it all apart

I hate previous owner for gluing fairings together, well luckily i can just cut througt it :)

all fairings off!

Thats a pile of plastic

Oilcooler remover going to mount right in front of radiator, it was mounted in front at unnecessary part of the frame.

all electronics removed from the back. lets start cutting

Old subframe off !!!

Bought some 30x30x2mm square tubing

i dont have any welding equipment so im using selfcutting screws and some plates to get everyhing in place.

going to use original seat with my project, also im thinking keeping it as a two seater with mounting place for carrige back at the end. also going to make a cowl that covers the second seat and luggage mounts

added tubes that are connected to original frame at the bottom.
On the left side there's a little problem becouse chain goes right next to my new mounting point so i need to countersunk M10 bolts from the inside.

support rods fitted in place. here you can see where im going to bolt subframe to original frame (temporary 10mm bolts in place)

measuring where in the heck im suppoced to place rear footsets????

took everything off so i can take them to my welder. also removed swingarm for bearing check and cleaning.

Got my frame back :):):)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lets continue !!

I was little afraid that frame and subframe holes would not line up after transportation and welding but they lined up perfectly :)
you can also see my rear footset rods (they havent been cut to right lenght yet)

I was going to mount crossbeams for the frame but i didnt have right rivers for that so i needed to think about something else to do. so i cleaned to frame from all the surface rust that has been growing over the winter.

Here is a picture of one of the countersunk bolts to get enought clearance for swingarm and chain

Its pretty nicely hidden

Painted a base coating to frame to prevent it from rusting anymore.

Over the weekend im going to attach to crossbeams and get started on undertray. i have bought a sheet of 1.5mm aluminium sheet for that.

here are some parts i have bought that are going on the bike...

Please comment and ask questions, it motivates me :party-smiley:
Im trying to take some more pictures over the weekend while im working on the bike

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
The subframe needs some structure added to it yet before its safe. the two pieces need tied together for side to side strength.
(picture courtesy of yantosh)

Right now your lower mount is single shear with a small flap taking the weight. Your top tubes are drilled thru with no bung or weld washers (for sidewall stregth when pinched from the nut and bolt)

A few ways it can currently be fixed. Single shear isn't bad all the time but with the metal thickness at the bottom, it will fail. You can fabricate (or have someone else) some subframe connectors like this, but for your square tubes.

As for the top mounts: you can do a clevis mount, having male and female ends

or something like this

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
side to side supports are next on my to do list. i just called them "crossbeams" :)

Top mount is very sturdy allready even without incoming side supports. I will propaply add some additional support for the holes propaply bung inside a tube.

What comes to lower mount i know it needs some kind of modifications.
You cant really see it in pictures but lower mounting point is leaning against old subframe piece from front and back so weight is distributed between that and the bolt.
that last picture you posted raised some good ideas for the lower mounting points :)

thanks for some really good advice

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started working on subframe lower mounts.
got some good inspiration from ultimate fighters last picture.
my idea is to make other end of the mount to fit inside of subframe tube and the other end next to original frame where it will be bolted

mounts are hopefully going to look kind of like these but more heavy duty

Lets get to work!

got myself 30x60x200mm piece of 6082 aluminium. its really tough took me over 10 minutes to cut it in half with electric handsaw.

i cut some unnecessery parts off and started to mold tube end with an anglegrinder.

only got this much done today tomorrow im going in with some better cutting tools and hopefully finish atleast one of the mounts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great start to your bike! I am interested to see where this goes. What are you plans for the tail plastics since you are reusing your seat. Or are you going to leave it naked?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if have enought time im going to make a new fairing out of fiberglass.
there is also about 3-6cm gap between the frame and gastank without original side fairings so going to make new ones there also :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres one picture that i missed earlier. turned around oilcooler need to make some mounts for it.

but lets get to this days agenda. Got some better cutting tools so lets see where that leads...

block of aluminium inside of the frame tube against the frame

Tried using a 6mm straight grinder... hopelessly slow so i got my angle grinder with a flappy disc, it cuts it like butter without choking

Grinded and fitted about 20 times before i got it how i wanted it

cutted unnecessary parts off

fitted in place with bolt and checking what i need to still grind off

Finished one side one to go

making of the left side

both sides done and installed :party-smiley: right side needs sone fine tuning it sits couple of millimeters higher propably gonna grind it a little bit to make it fit more inside the tube

heres what the subframe looks like atm

Next on my to do list:
-get some solid metal round bars that fit inside of the original upper frame tubes to add additional support for upper mounting points
-make 8mm threads throught frame and lower mounts that are inside of the frame tubes to secure mounts in place
-side to side "crossbeams" for subframe
-undertray
-need to order a SV taillight and some surfacemounted blinkers

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to my bike last night at 3 in the middle of the night, to get some measuremets from the original frame tubes. they are 22mm inside diameter. Got some thick walled steel tubing that are 22mm outside diameter going to fit that tube inside of the original one for extra support for the upper mounting points.
hopefully i have time to do that on thursday :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didnt have much time today to work on my bike but got something done anyway

Fine tuned left sided mount to fit little bit more inside of the tube

Fitted some strengthening inside of original frame tubes

Started securing bar ends to the tube. 6,8mm hole through 30mm of steel and aluminium, you can see where this is going :)

making of 8mm threath

Damn threadratchet broke after 10mm... Fuck needed to continue with a spanner :(

After a way too long time and some sore fingers i got it done.
Didnt even want to start on the other side but it needs to be done

What if i attach the tap to my drill...

First one took forever, second one with drill usage 2 minutes :party-smiley:

Got first one of side supports in place. tapped holes for 5mm screws for now. when i do the final assembly ill drill holes a little bigger for 4,8mm rivets.

Thats all the time i had today, unfortunately cant get any good pictures of the whole bike becouse my workspace is so small :(

I need to really start ordering some parts from ebay so i can start fitting backlights etc etc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That was basic DIN 376 M8 tap with thinned shaft you can do up to 80mm of thread with that.
If you need longer then that then google DIN 357 those are longer models.

These are all metric ones. i have no idea about UNC and UNF taps :nuts:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered some new parts becouse it was payday on friday...

Black SV backlight

Overflow bottle

Banjobolt with preasure switch so i can get rid of the orignal brakelight switch

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also it was a sunny sunday today so i decided to get something else done besides ordering parts.

i made some side to side support parts. here's the first one

Second one. All of the holes are tapped for 5mm screws and secured with nice button head bolts. I was thinking about riveting pieces together at final assembly but those bolt just look so damn nice and they tighten like hell !

Next a had an idea about how i could mount my seatlock using original parts :party-smiley:

Lock measured and istalled in place

Goes in really smoothly :)

I was having some problems about what should i do next so i kept a cleaning break.
There was a ridiculous amount of dirt and grease under the sprocket cover

Got back to the real task in hand. cartboard mockup of the undertail

Its so long

Space for my battery was a little bit too low so i needed to make some modifications to get that to fit

Moved the cutting pattern to a sheet of 1,5mm aluminium.

Had a huge headache propably from too much of degreaser fumes and lack water decided to call it a day.
Ill go back for cutting on tuesday...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got back on my bike today, had a lot of thing to do so didnt have much time with the bike.

At least got something done.

Cutted the aluminium with a jigsaw, so i got this...

Also modified the end of the undertail to make a battery box

really need to do something about rear footsets they are starting to piss me off...
they need another bar to make them strong enought, well ill get to that someday

Making of supports for baggage plate at the back

Some random pictures of things to do...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts