Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm still taking lessons for my driving license, but already bought a motorcycle to start fixing it. For a bargain I bought a CB450S from 1986. The front forks were beyond saving. Luckily I still had a rolling chassis of a CBR600F, of which the forks would fit on my CB. After changing the front forks the back part of the bike didn't really match the front and the CBR's would be an upgrade, with a disk brake and bigger size tires. So I decided to put the swingarm of the CBR on my bike. However, now I'm facing the problem that the shocks won't fit and the CBR has a monoshock. I would like to put the monoshock of the CBR on my CB, but this asks for some adjustments. So now I'm asking myself where to secure the monoshock, on the swingarm or on the frame?

I could secure it right here on the swingarm:

By welding this attachment point of the CBR:

I could also secure it here (used to be for the stand):

On top I will weld the monoshock on the frame:

How do you guys think I should approach this?

Thanks in advance for thinking along :drinks:

Here is a pic of how it looks right now:

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Ideally you should copy the cbr layout, anything else will leave you chasing gremlins you can't solve. since you have both rolling chassis, I'd say you are the ideal person to ask how it should go! Remember you really want to mirror things like angle of the dog bone as closely as possible.

The attachment point you've pictured looks like the centre stand mount. I wouldn't use that for suspension, not without reenforcement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ideally you should copy the cbr layout, anything else will leave you chasing gremlins you can't solve. since you have both rolling chassis, I'd say you are the ideal person to ask how it should go! Remember you really want to mirror things like angle of the dog bone as closely as possible.

The attachment point you've pictured looks like the centre stand mount. I wouldn't use that for suspension, not without reenforcement.
Alright, that seems quite logical! But will copying the layout do, considering it's a different motorcycle? I've looked all across the internet and read that people were doing calculations to get the geometry of the shock right.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
If you can fit the parts at the same angles and positions, it should work fine. Guess the 450 would be lighter so may feel oversprung if you're also light. But it'll work right and not try to pogo you off.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
PS I don't mean just putting stuff the right way round. I mean like start from the swing arm pivot, measure a distance and angle to the other two hard points, and do what you can to make that happen accurately enough.

Reactions: shinyribs

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
why not use cbr swingarm for making things a bit easier?

·
V four honda whore
12,433 Posts
i saw a picture of swingarm and possible dogbone mounting points and assumed he wants to use stock swinger

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's been point welded and looking even better than I hoped!
It's as close to the CBR600F setup as we could get it.
Have to make reinforcements and have a friend do the welding, I'll make some pictures when that's done.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Looks great :)

I wanted a cb350sg for my first bike way back when I was 17. Guess this is same but faster? Not sure they sold em in UK

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't think they sold many of these outside of The Netherlands and Germany. I think it was mostly the custom/chopper version of this everywhere else.

The results of the welding can be seen here; https://imgur.com/a/RJXLZWj

1 - 11 of 11 Posts