Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CBR900 bobber

Hello once again !

This is just some pics i wanted to show you of my bike.
I bought it in 2/2009. Now its 10/2009 and its almost finished. In few weeks it will be complete like 95%.

I decided to post my build together with you all although i feel kinda bad because there are so many people here who are real artists :cfrocks:

Anyway i did a build first, concider i am medicine student and before this i never hold a grinder in my hands :rolleyes:

Ok this is the situation when bike brought home. Its a CBR900 1995 laying in dust,crashed 6 months ago,forks bent,radiator too, all plastics demolished and various other stuff.
Before accident it was a decent bike,47 000km on clock.

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Afterward the engine was to be painted in red.

That was PAIN IN THE ASS to do :mad:

The engine was degreased then brushed then cleaned with nitro then some more brush then washed with solvebt again and so on anyway... it took a sh*tload of time ! Plus you have to absolutely sure to plug all holes to the cylinders and cooling system.

Check out the pics how dirty it was ! Also some holes were filled in with liquid metal

I sprayed some epoxy primer on the engine and after it dried i sprayed red auto color and it went fine.

Changed some gaskets and abraded the nut heads, changed the oil filter and spark plugs. Also, i took egine to Honda service to check the valves

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Afterward i took out the bolts and abrased them, installed a fresh filter,isolated the cables.

Crank cover was later lightly polished.

Also did the swingarm in black. But i am not happy with that paintjob very much, did some mistakes and the paint is not as good as i want it but :wtf: , u gotta make mistakes 1st time :party-smiley:

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good shit man.... i got a 900 bobber too. i cant wait to see where this goes
You will see in a 15 mins , its almost over, this pics are few months old :letsride:

Anyway, i had to do the frame, in black it is powder coated, sanded first BUT the powder coat quality is bad :(
Also i have installed fresh bearing to the steering stem, and ran into a problem, as many of you are aware , the HONDA boys installed a 1 mm narrower upper bearing than standard sizes i can find around here so i ordered it from Austria. That spent good time but what the heck...

Also i sanded, powder coated in red and also installed new bearings and seals to my rims

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because of simplicity i decided not to go USD yet so i bought good used original forks for CBR900,undamaged of course. Put in some new Motul 15W oil into them and hardened them just a bit. Got also a set of used triple clamps with them.

In the meantime i cleaned brake calipers and bought braided color lines in red color, of course (don't have pics)

Afterthat it was time to start assembly

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But is that over ? No. I had to do more more and more stuff after this.

1st thing is to cut all extra cables in the front. Nothing worse than metres ofwiring hanging around. CBR900 has a really nice natural place where you can tuck all those relays, in front of and below airbox above that plastic:party-smiley:

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanted it to be a bobber so i built a simple subframe chopping the original one and built it to be sturdy (its ugly as hell but does its job + i am going to have some plastic around it)

I put some fiberglass inside to keep water spraying in and glued few L profiles to hold electrics.

Also the pipes were sanded and sprayed black, of course :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had to install subframe and see how it looks like. (i didnt weld myself, dont know how)
Also i have installed 84cm wide 7/8 bars with raisers and got rid of clip ons. Got also a set of new and longer cables (kinda too long , i need to shorten them up a bit)

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also i have oiled my cables by tieing them to small plastic bags filled with oil. Got that trick from the internet and it works :party-smiley:

Also something had to be done with battery. I located it under the carbs above the started motor.

I built a simple (and ugly) battery box using some aluminum and isolated it. Bended a small aluminum plate and using some bolts on the starter motor i made a small platform for battery. Also i have put some bent and isolated aluminium shaped like a cone over the starter motor cable so that battery doesnt compress it.

Using long bolts going thru fairing mount openings on the frame i had a mean to fix the battery box under the tank so that it doesnt move laterally.
I just have to shorten them so they dont stand out :)

Check the pics anyway

Attachments

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forgot to mention that i have obtained a good condition used radiator which i had to paint but otherwise fine :rock:

Also i grabbed a rat-bike-look-like lamp at my local autoparts store for funny amount money.

Testing here how it would look like on the bike. I like it :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.