Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Made my the bottom of my boot today, I will be using to support my licence plate and indicators as well so I have made fairly sturdy.

Dodgy cardboard template

completed bottom part of boot

Made another dodgy cardboard template to complete the back of boot

Not as much boot space as I was hoping for but.... its fairly neat so pretty happy with it so far

Started back on the headlight to have a break from the tail. I made another.............. cardboard template for the next piece of the headlight but decided it was getting a bit boxy looking so might go some flames but not sure I have the skills, guess we will see over the next few days :CK187:

I didnt want to go down the road of flames but not sure what else to do, Anyone have any other ideas or........... should I keep with the flames.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got the majority of the flames done today, I have been looking at them so long I cant tell if it looks good or not...............

I will paint the flames and dash black so they wont be in your face.

This is the next thing I am thinking about doing to my bike.
I am going to attach a computer CPU cooler to my regulator rectifier to improve the efficiency of cooling as CBR regulators love to shit themselves.

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Nice idea on the fan for the R/R, I was trying to decide what to do about mine as I'll be sticking it inside a "gas tank" and didn't want it to burn up...

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Bit of a tip for anyone with the shitty honda reg recs......
The fan may prolong life but wont get rid of prob altogether.
Do yourself and your bike a favour and fit a yamaha r1 reg rec from 04-06
One of these

The only way I know of basically getting rid of the problem altogether.
Got one fitted on mine after goin thru 3 reg recs an not had an iddue since :)

Nice start on the bike but personally wouldn't go with the flames as it may look very cheesy, sometimes simpler looks much better in the end....... :)

·
Cbr 900 -97
204 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but how do you fit one of thoose?
They have many more connections?

Bit of a tip for anyone with the shitty honda reg recs......
The fan may prolong life but wont get rid of prob altogether.
Do yourself and your bike a favour and fit a yamaha r1 reg rec from 04-06
One of these

The only way I know of basically getting rid of the problem altogether.
Got one fitted on mine after goin thru 3 reg recs an not had an iddue since :)

Nice start on the bike but personally wouldn't go with the flames as it may look very cheesy, sometimes simpler looks much better in the end....... :)

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but how do you fit one of thoose?
They have many more connections?
Hey hoffmann. The r1 rec has same amount of connections as the honda unit (5) but it has 3 on one connector, the grey one and 2 in the black connector so you just use big spade connectors instead of the plastic connectors :)
R1 unit runs about 30-40 degrees c where the honda unit can run up into the 80-90 degree c!
Well worth the swap!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Does anyone know what the difference is with the internals of the R1 reg vs the CBR reg?

http://www.electrosport.com/technic...articles/how-motorcycle-charging-system-works

The link above explains the charging system of motorcycle very clearly and simply and I was wondering if the R1 reg is the better one pointed out in the link above, if it is not then just cooling down the CBR reg would be sufficient and stopping failures I would think.

The regulator looks at the DC-voltage across the battery-terminals and short-circuits a certain amount of power that is produced by the stator to ground. This is regulated constantly, so the output-voltage of the regulator-rectifier (which ideallyis the same as the voltage across the battery-terminals) stays at 14.4 Vdc all the time.The permanent magnet generator-setup is not very efficient, but it is very simple and quite reliable. This explains why it is the most commonly used system on motorcycles.One of the problems with these systems is the short-circuiting of the excess power itself. This is done by the regulator-rectifier and this part has to dissipate the power that it shorts to ground, meaning it will get very hot. This is mostly because of the regulator and partly by the rectifier-diodes themselves that get hot just because of the current flowing through it. The regulator-rectifier internals need to be built so that the heat is transferred efficiently from the electronical components themselves to the housing of the unit, mostly equipped with cooling-fins. This is the most important bit in designing a regulator-rectifier for use in a permanent-magnet generator-setup.

The regulator-part of the regulator-rectifier needs to measure the DC-voltage somewhere in the system. On the cheapest built units (quite a lot of OEM ones) this is done not by measuring the DC-voltage in the DC-system, but by looking at the AC-voltage in between one stator-phase and the ground, and sometimes the excess power is shorted to ground from just one or two input-AC phases instead of all three phases that are regulated. The better built units measure the output-voltage of the unit itself and regulate the input AC accordingly by shorting more or less power to ground, an equal amount off all three phases.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The floating ape is hanging off my ceiling so when the mrs parks the car in the garage she knows how close she is to the shelves, there is so much shit crammed in the garage you have to park real close or the roller door will not shut.

You can stop tripping balls now Pinballkid you are not tripping out the ape is in the photo, not sure about the evil monkey in your closet but :nuts:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Trav I have to agree with you on the flames but not sure if I can farked changing them for a while, I might paint them black and see how they look then, I have few other ideas for the head light which I will start later on but I really...... want to ride my bike so she is staying like that for at least a few months I think :doh:

·
Master of Vril
264 Posts
Trav I have to agree with you on the flames but not sure if I can farked changing them for a while, I might paint them black and see how they look then, I have few other ideas for the head light which I will start later on but I really...... want to ride my bike so she is staying like that for at least a few months I think :doh:
Looking forward to what you come up with. I can totally respect wanting to ride. I do the same thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just purchased this regulator http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221310020058?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 dead cheap, I will install with a fan and maybe the heat sink as well depending on how motivated I am.
I was also thinking about put a fuse in between the regulator and the battery so if the regulator blows it will reduce the risk of over charging and cooking the battery from the AC volts from the stator, has anyone done this before? not sure what fuse size I should use for this?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.