Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just joined the site. i have purchased a CBX750F 1984. I want to make a streetfighter out of her!! looking to do cheapy as possible but still impressive.

Im looking for some advice in chaging the rear end (swingarm etc) to house a wider wheel (180 17" tyre) does the swingarm need to be changed or just the wheel??

Also i would preferably like USD forks or at least something modern (ish) that i can replace that with a 17" wheel.

hope someone can shed a little light for me?

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
From memory you'll need to swap the swingarm as well, as the original wheel is only a 130/140 I seem to remember it's a while since I owned one. The front end is reasonably easy, just get a whole front end from a donor bike and fit the CBX stem in the lower yoke, although you may be lucky and find it is just a bearing swap. The easiest running gear to use is GSXR K series upto 04' it pretty much swaps into most stuff with little grief. I've fitted K series radial stuff into Zeds, GS/X Blade, and earlier slabby and Slingy oilcooled GSXRs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From memory you'll need to swap the swingarm as well, as the original wheel is only a 130/140 I seem to remember it's a while since I owned one. The front end is reasonably easy, just get a whole front end from a donor bike and fit the CBX stem in the lower yoke, although you may be lucky and find it is just a bearing swap. The easiest running gear to use is GSXR K series upto 04' it pretty much swaps into most stuff with little grief. I've fitted K series radial stuff into Zeds, GS/X Blade, and earlier slabby and Slingy oilcooled GSXRs.
Thanks for the info!! much appreciated!! so to confirm then... whats the easiest/best change to do? swingarm, back wheel, caliper chain etc from a 01-04 k series gsxr. And front forks from anything.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You'll need to measure the available space between the frame across the swingarm pivot and find an arm suitable to go in there, the K series stuff is easy to use because the rear wheel requires merely a bearing swap to drop to a 20mm wheel spindle, and the complete front end often fits with again just a bearing swap, in some cases a stem swap is required, but so far I've managed to fit the K series yokes into a variety of bikes with only a bearing swap.
The 600/750K6 onwards and 1000K5 onwards has a narrower rear wheel hub than the earlier which makes it easy to fit.
The Bandit 1200 arm is reasonably narrow across the pivot and will accept a 5.5 inch K series rear with a little bit of work to the caliper hanger and some new spacers and again a bearing swap. So you may find the arm slots into the space available between your frame rails.
Also the CBX750 engine was also used the later CB750 retro thing that Honda made, so you may be able to use the running gear from that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi I've just got a cbx750 1984 bike and am swapping g the engine as its knackered with cb750 e gone 1992 most things fit electrics wise alternator earth's etc but the points wire from the crank are different plugs do I just get a cb750 ignitor and loomwill it fit the rest of the bike ie headlights ignition switch etc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts