Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing Searchtempest this morning and couldn't resist this little Honda that is needing some love. I've kind of been on the lookout for a little bike that I can fighter/muscle out but they always seem to be gone or a hard to come by.

This will probably be next winters project and I'm going to have to restrain myself from spending money that should be going towards my GS. I'm thinking the normal GSXR forks and a Ducati Monster SSA to mix it up a little. Still not sure what I will do with the seat/tail. I'll have to do some browsing to see if I can find something that will fit the style.

He said he bought it for parts but didn't end up using much of anything on it. His wife insisted he didn't need a parts bike sitting around when he could ride his other two bikes. He mentioned it was missing a coil so my guess is it had ignition issues and after trying to fix it they couldn't get it running or just never got around to getting parts for it (crossing my fingers).

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After unloading it today I wanted to see how good/bad this thing really is. First on the list was to get rid of the horrid ape hangers that made it a pain to even move around. After trying to get the extended control wires for the switches to slide out from inside the bars and save them I decided it wasn't worth the frustration and just cut them off. Too bad as they seemed like they were in decent condition but will probably just find some newer oem switches instead. After getting the ape hangers off I replaced them with some stock bars he gave me. A big improvement at least for now.

Then I spent a couple hours cleaning the engine and frame. I'm amazed how clean the frame is. The engine ended up coming out really nice too and looks like it never had any major oil leaks. I pulled the plugs to see what they looked like and it seems as though it must have been running rich as they are pretty black. I sprayed some fogging oil in the cylinders and threw the plugs back in. Kicked it over a few times and it seems to have decent compression. I'm tempted to buy a new Dyna S and coils and see if she'll run before I stick it in the corner for now.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm tempted to buy a new Dyna S and coils and see if she'll run before I stick it in the corner for now.

DO it!
Done! I really wanna see if she runs so I couldn't wait.

I ordered a Dyna S, Black 5 ohm coils and Dyna wires from Dynoman Performance. And I found a sweet deal on a 8 pack of NGK DR8EIX iridium plugs for $40. It shows they are the same as I use in the GS1100 so couldn't pass that up.

That crazing on the speedo is cool :cool:
I kinda like the gauges too especially the green color.

I've been looking at pictures and videos and think I have the overall build style nailed down. I'm including links so it makes it a little easier for me to find the stuff I want to use later on.

Ebay 06-07 GSXR 600-750 forks

Cognito Moto adjustable offset triple tree (45mm, 50mm, 55mm & 60mm)

RSPUNWM618P SPIN WERKES WM6 (3.50) x 18" CHROME PLATED STEEL RIM $375.00 with Buchanan made to order stainless spoke kit

Cognito Moto 2005-2010 GSX-R laced wheel conversion hub

clip-ons with stock Honda repo switches from 4into1 right throttle switch / left clutch switch

widened stock swingarm for 5.5" rear wheel on stock hub

Fox factory series podium rc1 rear shocks

RSPUNWM1418P SPIN WERKES WM14 (5.50) x 18" CHROME PLATED STEEL RIM $457.00

Universal seat pan #VINBTH. I may make my own but I like the style of this one.

tarozzi universal folding rearsets which I already have

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice day for a Monday when I got home there were a bunch of boxes waiting for me. I ran across the Delkevic exhaust on Ebay but found out after a little research that they ship for free off their web site and it was 10 bucks cheaper. I figured $217 for a stainless header was a pretty good deal. I'm going to run a 12" reverse cone from Cone Engineering so I didn't think I needed the full exhaust. Fit is damn good for the price. One slip collar is a little off but think I can tweak that later on. Other than that everything fits better than I could have ever hoped for the price.

Last weekend I messed around with the wiring a bit and checked the ignition. I get spark from both sets of points so all I should have to do is swap in the new coils and see if she'll run. Well actually I got her to run for a bit on two cylinders but didn't have the tank hooked up. I'll probably have to go through the carbs anyway because it seems like they are pretty stiff when I twist the throttle and it doesn't seem like it's the cables binding. Still happy it seemed like it wanted to run.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm throwing out a few ideas about what I'm thinking about doing with the wheels and tires. There is a guy over on the sohc4 forum that converted his stock 19" front wheel to run dual discs on CBR600RR forks. Basically he made adapters that bolt onto the center hub in place of the stock disc for the dual rotors and made bushings to make up the difference in the axle diameter. Similar to what Sebspeed did in his 7/11 Fat Kat build. Or any easier way would be to use a Cognito Moto hub.

I like the look of the big 19" on his bike and the stock rim should be a nice match to the Spin Werkes rear wheel. I would have liked to seal up the rims and go tubeless but the widest rear rim I can find with safety beads is a Sun that is only 4 1/4" wide. I'm pretty sure the Spin Werkes rim I want to use in back doesn't have any safety beads. If anyone knows of anything that is 5 1/2" x 18" please let me know.

The tires I'm looking at are Michelin Commander II front and rear.

Front 100/90B19 57H TL/TT $108.83

Rear 180/55B18 80H TL/TT $215

I also bought some 2008 GSXR 600 forks.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the 5ohm Dyna coils and temporarily wired them up (alligator clips) along with the Dyna wires and new NGK resistor caps. I checked and got good spark so I decided to hold off installing the crank trigger for now.

I hooked up the fuel lines but didn't have any luck with it even wanting to start. I thought it was time to figure out why the throttle was so stiff and pulled off the carbs. I removed the bowls they all looked fairly clean. I found the #2 throttle valve was frozen but got that loose with a little bit of penetrating oil. I wasn't planning on tearing them down but figured it wouldn't hurt to dip the bodies instead of having to deal with another headache later on.

I was surprised how nice everything came out looking. I ordered new #40 pilot jets up from #38 and new #115 main jets up from #100 and Honda seal kits. I'm going to just clean the needle jets and jet needles and polish the valve seats with toothpaste. I also ordered a set of Uni pod filters. I'm hoping everything comes so I can get it running this weekend.

I have to make two of these little tabs the connect the outer throttle linkages together. It seems as though this is a common problem on these carbs.

And the forks came yesterday. Not quite as nice as what it looked like in the pictures but think they should be good enough if I turn the worst scratches towards the inside.

I also thought they were more silver colored in the pictures which I think would have been a cool look. Still not sure if I'll leave them as is or maybe strip the anodizing off. (I know the axle is too long. It's the only one I had from my Hayabusa forks.)

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Redliner, I read a thread once where a guy was playing around with the emulsifier tubes on either a CB 500 or a 500. Either way, he was knocking down nearly 60mpg and claimed the bike pepped up a lot. Very simple modification of just drilling a couple extra holes in the tubes. Since you're inside the carbs ( and really, you know you should be in there ;) ) I'll find that link and get it to you.

It was on the sohc4 forum if you wanna dig it up yourself. I might forget. I probably will. I'm almost certain I will.

Oh, and I have a pair of gsxr legs that are silver and not scratched up. They've been standing upright in the corner of my bedroom for nearly a year and haven't leaked a drop, so the seals are good. If you wanna swapperoo I'm not offended by a few scratches. I'll double check what year/model they are to verify they are what you need. Just throwing it out there as an option since you build nice stuff and I cobble together junk :D

Edit: please murder that twisted stock, chopper side stand. :(

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks CK!

Shiny, I tried to hide the stand in all the other pictures I took but I see it accidentally slipped through. That's why I probably don't have any good switches anymore because I couldn't get those stupid ape hangers off fast enough and my impatience got the best of me when I cut the wires shorter than I should have. I don't know how people ride with those things because it was about impossible to push around that way.

Speaking of drilling the emulsifier tubes I actually read that thread or at least it sounds similar to another one I read. I remember them saying something about where the holes are drilled near the top, middle or bottom and what effect each area had at different rpm's or something along those lines. It's funny because I thought this bike might be a nice every day cruiser if it gets decent mileage.

As far as the forks go let me know. There's no doubt in my mind the gold will look good. It's almost a no brainer for me but then again I think the silver would be cool because you just don't see it as much as the gold forks.

We had some pretty nice days around here about a month ago to give a little taste of spring. I knew though it was a little premature and now finally today it looks like from hear on out it's going to be pretty nice. It had me thinking wtf am I spending time and money on this when I should be finishing up my GS. Especially after seeing all the bikes that were out on my way home after work today. I'm itching to get this one running but then after that I'll probably keep working on build details for this but starting hitting it hard on the GS. I kept saying there is no way I won't ride it again this summer. I don't want to eat my words.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow I would have bought those too at that price. I'll probably stick with mine since they are radial calipers and already have my old ones I can use. Thanks for posting the picture and offer though.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Video time! I have good news that the Mini Muscle runs strong as hell!!!!

The carbs went back together without a hitch. A few little things while assembling I forgot to hook up and had to partially disassemble but really no big deal. I think these ended up being easier than the Mikuni's I've worked on. I did a quick bench sync with a small drill bit under the slides and did a calibrated eyeball adjustment from there.

I adjusted the cam chain since I had the carbs off. I was going to adjust the valves but didn't feel like screwing with it because I was so close to getting it running. I also changed the oil with Shell Rotella T diesel oil and 1 ounce of ZDDPlus zinc additive.

I didn't have a good motorcycle battery on hand so I cut off one of the tabs on the frame and wedged in a lawn tractor battery propped up on the swingarm with a piece of wood. :fu: It works to get it running for now.

I had to crank a bit and died a few times before she finally stayed running. That was last night. I hooked up the throttle linkage and clutch this morning so I could take it for a spin. I couldn't figure out why it didn't seem like it wanted to fire. Then it dawned on me I should turn the key on. :nuts:

I ran it up and down the driveway a few times and everything seemed to be going well. Then I noticed the front caliper was starting to grab (The front brakes aren't hooked up). There are a bunch of gravel patches and almost lost it on the way back to the shop. I removed the caliper which fixed that problem and did a few more test runs. I had the muffler on it but decided to take it off because I didn't have it clamped and would have been pissed if it fell off.

I think the jetting is pretty close. I haven't checked the plugs yet though. She smokes a touch but I'm not sure if that will go away with a little more run time or if it's the jetting. I'll have to get a metric adapter and check the compression now that it's running.

Everything else seems to check out ok. It shifts good into all the gears and doesn't pop out on any. The clutch slips a bit when shifting but that isn't anything a new clutch can't take care of.

Here you go! First kick I had the clutch pulled in. Apparently the kick starter won't engage when doing so.

How do you guys like the squid seat? I wasn't going to use that fucking chopper seat that came with the bike and needed something to pad my skinny ass.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! And to think I almost bit it when the front caliper locked up. That would have been hilarious to get on video. At least the squid in me was smart enough to have a helmet, jacket and gloves on but no good shoes!

I can't believe how fun it is to ride even how it is right now. I'll fucking kill myself on my 1100. It feels good to see progress in a project in a relatively short amount of time.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts