Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have alluded to this bike a few times In my tubby b12 thread. I will attempt to recount the build as best I can for you guys.

Started out as a 2000 CG125 'W' (turkish built model) with 35000 miles on the clock. I bought it for about 350 quid off a friend and it was roughly 100 quid off having an MOT. Original plan was to do the work, out it for 650 and make a quick 200 quid. Naturally, I ended up taking it to bits. In about 2 hours. On the drive. It looks okay from about 10 feet, but up close you can see the deterioration in both paint and corrosion.









It then ended up in it's kit form. In my spare/bedroom



Front end began to take shape with a set of monkey bike clip ons and a vintage mudguard.



Frame cut down, lugs removed...





A chinese 125 tank I liked the shape of came up on e-bay, you see it on the bike above. This was then bare metaled...



The frame was painstakingly stripped with a wire wheel in drill, same with the yolks. The yolks were repainted in ally coloured enamel and baked.





Motor got some love, adjusting the clearances and cleaning out the centrifugal oil filter...





Going to break this into a few posts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couldn't do much with the wheels, the spokes were shot in terms of surface corrosion but the rims came backk a bit with some time and soft wire wool mixed with auto-sol. I eventually came to the conclusion that I was going to have to paint the rims, but I was going to do so with Plasti-dip. I'm a firm believer in the stuff, in fact my whole bandit in this pic:



Is sprayed in it, and was so for the bulldog bash.

I prepped the rims:



Sprayed all of them:



Then got a scalpel and went round the base of all the spokes. Pulling the remaining 'Dip off the outer rims leaves me with matt black spokes and hubs, and chrome rims. And the finish up close is pretty damn good.





Lobbed back together to see how it sits and take some measurements for the seat unit...





Looks promising, and some parts start coming in from friends as interest grows...



Like an original all metal switchgear off an original CG.

Seat unit obtained, it has the exact measurements to match the tank width at the hip, and allows enough room under it's hump to move the entire electrical system there.



Around this time I finally got into a unit workshop and was really able to go to work. As most of you will know, 95% of custom bike building is having the guts to take an axle grinder to a bike frame and having somewhere to do it!



I set about the motor, doing an all night session to get it cleaned up, stripped, and resprayed. My first night in my new unit was spent doing this.







I emerged, blinking in the light, carrying a shiny looking 125 motor with a rebuilt carb and a pod filter hanging off it. The bloke in the unit next to me asked how the hell i'd come across a new motor. Haha.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top