Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bringing this over from my CB350 build thread to open up my question for some discussion.

New shocks installed, temp fit of chain to check for clearances and alignment, and I think it looks ok. I am not sure about the chain clearances though between some of the frame sections and the swinger.

Here is a pic of the topside of the swingarm as viewed from the right side of the bike...I have about 1/2 of an inch between the swinger and the bottom of the chain.

Is this OK? Do I need more space?

Then there is the section of the frame below the swingarm...there is only about 3/8" between this part of the frame and the bottom of the chain...please ignore the wire holding my chain together!

What do you all think? This is my first build, and really my first bike Ive ever owned that is chain driven...so I am not quite sure what is "normal" or to be expected. I also thought last night that these measurements are static...when I get some tires on there I can sit down on the bike at which point I think these clearances would increase.

Thanks for your input and any feedback!

Some specifics...
-shocks are 14.5" on center, stock were 12.5"
-new domed sprocket is 17T, stock was 16T
-not sure how many teeth were on the rear of the stock CB...but the rear mag is from a CB650SC.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
you really need a tire on it to check. and you should have someone sit on it so you can measure it when its compressed

Reactions: CK 187

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
a tire. typically tires will be the ultimate bearer of how much space you have to use.

im still trying for a 200 out back

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the nearly instant replies! I have searched and read some other threads about clearance between the inside of the chain and the outer edge of the tire and have scene comfy ranges of 5mm to .25".

I will see if a local shop has an old tire to throw on there to check the side to side, as well as see what happens when the rear is compressed. Money is tight with a single income, so I hate to drop money on some new tires to have it sit for a season until the build is done.

It stinks that this build is going on over a year and a half already :(

·
100 Posts
yeah, you have the suspension totally unloaded so you're going to have kinda tight clearances on the chain to the swingarm. get a tire on there and get some weight on it to see what kind of clearance you have. You'll probably be fine from the looks of it. Now tire clearance can be a different story. Looking at that rim though, unless you try to stick a tire that's too wide for the rim, you should be ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts