Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 ZX6 and the stock rear sproket is 42T, I was looking to get a new rear sproket bringing it up to 50T without dropping anything in the front.

1) does this seem like a reasonable mod?
2) Will the 50T still accommodate the stock chain?
3) If a new chain is required, how do I go about getting the correct sized chain?

If anyone has any info, suggestions or alternatives it'd be appreciated.
Clearly a noob here but looking to get some final stuff done to the bike before the season opens up.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I have a 2001 ZX6 and the stock rear sproket is 42T, I was looking to get a new rear sproket bringing it up to 50T without dropping anything in the front.

1) does this seem like a reasonable mod?
2) Will the 50T still accommodate the stock chain?
3) If a new chain is required, how do I go about getting the correct sized chain?

If anyone has any info, suggestions or alternatives it'd be appreciated.
Clearly a noob here but looking to get some final stuff done to the bike before the season opens up.
1) yes
2) no
3) get 10 links over stock and cut it urself if needed, the same tool kit u need to put a chain on is the same to take off. (I'm not suggesting this, but I can't lie and say I haven't done it, did it today actually. If the chain is good, I went to local dealer got the extra pieces they were throwing away anyways cause most buy 25ft at a time and use 2 master Links. I try to spread so I usually need at least 20 links and cut a piece of the old one off so the master links aren't so close.)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Dropping 2 teeth in the front is roughly equal to +8 in the back and front sprockets are much cheaper. You might be able to use the stock chain if it's not totally stretched out. If the adjusters don't have enough range to get the chain slack right cut the chain, grind two links off and get a new master.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts