Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a '93 Fireblade in great mechanical shape but with aftermarket Sharkskinz fairings. The first thing I did was strip them off the bike and start thinking about a cafe/mild fighter look. I'd like use a single 7" round light with a modern H4 halogen 60/55 watt bulb. This is due to cost reasons, simplicity and classic naked-bike appeal.

Problem is, the 'Blade came with dual headlights and is wired to run dual three-wire connections. Does anyone know what to do to properly connect a single light to a bike with standard dual light wiring? I want to keep the factory high/low switch too, at least for now.

I suspect the answer is simple and I'll be slapping my forehead when I hear the answer.

Thanks!

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
well if your bike is the same as an f4i setup which im sure it is similar it should have one light that has a ground and a power wire for the low beam and a ground and power for the high beam. simply the single 7 runs on a three wire set up a low power a high power and a ground. in which what you have to do if im right is just take the power from your low beam light on your harness connect it to low beam on the h4 and the high beam power to the high beam h4 connector and the two grounds you have on your harness from the old lights you could connect the two and connect those two to the ground on the h4 or just one will do the same. hope im right and this helped

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Radioaktiv--

The light I want to run is a single bulb. I think the stock light had dual bulbs, but I don't know what their stock wattage was or how they operated (both on for low and high, or one for low and one for high). Anyone got experience with stock Fireblade headlights?

alberta f4i--

OK, so what you're saying is that I need to identify the low beam power, the high beam power and the ground wire(s). That's helpful, thanks!. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the f4i have dual headlights but only one is on all the time (low beam) and the other turns on for high beam? That would make sense given the setup you described.

Problem is, there are dual three-wire hookups in my wiring harness, not dual two-wire. Does that mean that the stock Fireblade headlight had dual bulbs, both of which were on for low beam and both of which lit up for high beam as well? This would mean that the stock bulbs would have been running half the wattage each of a single 60/55 watt H4 bulb, which means that I'd have to trace the wires back to their split and replace them with heavier gauge if I want to run the single bulb. Or could I just twist the inputs together at the bulb (high-to-high and low-to-low)?

Has anyone seen a stock '93 Fireblade headlight setup? Mine's long gone, lost to squidly hijinx who-knows-when. I'm at work, or I'd break out the wiring diagram to look closer.

Thanks for the help, CF!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
if you have a 3 bulb setup....that would mean two run when you have low beam and all three run when you have high beam.

...at least im pretty sure thats how my 929 works....or is it 1 (center beam) for low and all 3 for high???

wouldnt that mean youd have to use both low beam power cables to the low and then the one high for the high??

shit i need to see a diagram... i need to know this as well b/c i got an SV headlight to run on one of my bikes this season.

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
ok what i would do is go to a site get a wiring diagram figure out what wires they are from the high low switch and just run those wires to the new light with a ground and be done with trying to figure out all the hard shit cause im sur from the switch is only 3 wire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I checked out the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual. Looks like the bike ran dual 60/55 watt bulbs stock, so the wiring should be perfectly adequate to run a single bulb and I'll just tape off the extra 3-wire connection. Or it looks like I might be able to run heavier gauge wire back to the relays for a single connection to a 100/80 or higher flame thrower bulb. Or a dual 60/55 watt install would be simple as well.

Not sure if that was forehead-slappingly simple, but the whole subject seems less mysterious than before.

Thanks for the help, all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you point me to a source for a dual housing?

I'm still researching light options. I want something fairly cheap--a classic round single like a cafe bike or a double like a Triumph Speed Triple. I haven't found an economical double round headlight source yet, but the single only runs about $80 to $90 with brackets from a couple of places.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
wasco do you have pics of what youre thinking about using??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm considering ordering this one in black, although their fork brackets may not fit the 45mm stanchions on my bike. I'm having some trouble tracking down ones that will fit. Lockhart Phillips has them for like $55 a pair! Ouch...

Anyway, here's the light. Picture's not that great, but I haven't had a chance to do any photochop yet.

http://www.caferace.com/Merchant2/m...de=C&Product_Code=66-65066&Category_Code=RRBT

Pretty classic cafe headlamp setup. Duals would be great, but haven't found a pair yet at a price I like.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
wascostreet said:
I'm considering ordering this one in black, although their fork brackets may not fit the 45mm stanchions on my bike. I'm having some trouble tracking down ones that will fit. Lockhart Phillips has them for like $55 a pair! Ouch...

Anyway, here's the light. Picture's not that great, but I haven't had a chance to do any photochop yet.

http://www.caferace.com/Merchant2/m...de=C&Product_Code=66-65066&Category_Code=RRBT

Pretty classic cafe headlamp setup. Duals would be great, but haven't found a pair yet at a price I like.

have you seen the aztec setups ?? theres a thread in here somewhere about them.... good stuff.

that headlights nice and everything...but what kinda motorcycle site says this?:

Part #66-35810 above) Shipping will be approximately $8.95 you sexy hooligan!

:LolLolLolLol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts