Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Thunderace that i,m chipping away at.I have tidied up the wiring and replaced the front tyre..all the easier things.
I now want to replace the battered Clocks for one of the Koso single Gauges with mechanical speedo drive. (the original cluster works well but has no mounting and no back meaning all the wires are exposed)
My mechanical/eletrical skills do not stretch very far but that does not stop me (and there are bike garages within pushing distance)
If i wire up the Kosos Single speedo does it matter that there will be no tacho or temp gauge (specifially does the fan switch trigger from the temp gauge ?)
I assume that the Rev counter can be done without ?
If this has been covered elswhere then feel free to point this out.
I cannot link to the ebay page as i,m at work .
Many thanks in advance
Richard

·
Registered
260 Posts
Koso clocks come supplied with the magnetic pickup type sensor, but you can buy a separate converter to work off the existing mechanical pickup on the front wheel. The fans coming on is not controlled by the clocks so that will make no difference. The are separates temp senders and a sensor to trigger the fans.

For the rev counter, simply connect the rev counter wire from the koso unit to the rev counter wire going to the oem clocks. Can't remember the colour but it is easy enough to work out by looking at the connections to the existing clocks.

Hope this helps. If you have any other queries, let me know as I am fightering my Ace as well so even with my limited knowledge, I may be of some use!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Taz i,ve been following your project its been very helpfull.
i,m going for a single round chrome gauge on mine so i wont have a rev counter.
The other thing i need is the bit of fairing steady that bolts to the frame and allows the tank to attach at the front ..any thoughts ?
r

·
Registered
260 Posts
I haven't got round to doing it yet but I am going to make a bracket. One end of it will attach to the tank using the existing holes and the other end will attach straight to the frame again using the existing holes (if you see what I mean!!!). For the moment I just cut off most of the frame that holds the nose fairing and mirrors off, leaving just enough to still mount the tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what i figured i was going to have to do ...my lash up clocks have just packed in so its Koso d64 here we come .I,ve just put loads of crap on ebay *old jackets that dont fit etc pillion rails and luggage to soften the blow.
If you get round to fabbing a bracket then let me know .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When trying to connect to my 97 Yamaha Thunderace I discovered that all the instrument cluster items i.e. oil light,neutral etc are suppled on the positive side with 12 volts but were controlled on the minus* earth side * in regard to their functions- this is on the original Instrument cluster.
Is it possible to reverse the Polarity and connect a positive feed from the bike to the earth/negative side of the Bike.

The aftermaket gauge is a KOSO d64

The above is an email i,ve just sent to the supplier ....
Any thoughts or am i complete numpty ?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
740 Posts
No you're right Yamaha's used a floating negative for a long time to control lights, relays, and coils. It can be a little confusing.

There's no need to reverse the polarity. It's still +12v dc, just the bike "breaks" circuits on the negative side of the circuit, where usually they're on the positive. In practice though it makes no difference as to functionality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ...i,m at the wilder shores of my knowledge with this , but i know a man who can.
Just that to finish off then oil/plugs and maybe I can ride it.
I thought about buying a cheap analogue speedo then hacksawing the old dash lights off...
Cheers !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bollocks....i,m giving,up spent ages yesterday and all we got going were the indicators.
Off to my lcal garage on monday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts