Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

The douche I bought this Super Duke from told me that there is nothing at all wrong with the bike. I text him last night to find out the last time the oil was changed and he said that the bike was put away 7 years ago and he changed the oil then to try and fix the charging issue. Well this issue apparently was not fixed and he never mentioned it being an issue before I bought it.

I was going to put a volt meter on the battery to see if it was charging or not. What are the causes of the battery not charging. All I can think of is the stator, there are no other issues that I see such as the lights, dash, etc. Not sure where to start with this.

Thanks

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
How old is the battery? Try slow charging the battery first. Then check its voltage very hour or two. If it drops then its dead?. Replace iit. If it good or you get a new battery then check the voltage while its running. Also you can probe the wires going to the stator. Either with the engine off and check for ohms resistance per your manuals recommendations or while its running check the voltage per the manuals specs by piercing the wires insulation with the voltmeters probes. They'll have to be the pin kind, not alligator clips.

Also check the voltage regulator/rectifier. If its bad it can spike the voltage and fry both the battery and the stator. That should be plenty to get you started. Hope it helps.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I actually found the problem! I went ahead and checked the wires to the stator and found that the ground wire connector was broke. It now puts out the correct voltage to the battery. The battery is looking a little old, I am going to replace it with a lithium battery.

Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts