Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's gotta be naked, but can have a small bubble.

Coming soon

Ideas? bike not bought or decided on yet. But soon, very soon. Must be ready for the 2 Hundo before July 2017.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
BUSA BUSA BUSA!

200 is a big goal of mine with the buildoff bike.

·
Registered
625 Posts
200 on a hayabusa is easy, but take the fairing off and your gonna get so much drag that you'll need much more power to still reach 200.
As far as I know, the unfaired record is with a busa, but its got a turbo and I'm sure nitrous too.
You said cheapest way too, and over here in England at least the busa has gone way up in price ( you could buy 4 bandit 1200's for the price of one busa )

Easiest cheapest way without any fairings has to be a turbo bandit12/gsxr 11
The base bikes are cheap and if you make your own turbo setup you'd save a bunch over buying an off the shelf kit.
Get rid of a bunch of weight off whatever you decide on anyway.....the more weight you take off, the less power you need to add.

Or you could cheat and buy a brand new zx-14.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
A bone stock Busa with the limiter removed will do 194mph. I have no idea how much can be had by altering the gearing. You are going to loose a lot by striping the fairings.

Is this a standing mile attempt?

How many dollars are you willing to spend?

Bonneville?

Here is a landspeed record holder thread. May be of some use. I have not read it all the way through. http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397403

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Is this a standing mile attempt?
That was my first thought. The standing mile got shut down in NC, if you've found a local one let me know ( we aren't THAT far apart), cuz I'm in for some of that action.

My very uniformed thoughts for an unfaired bike that needs to reach 200 mph.

- narrowest profile possible. can you stay away from I4's and get the HP you need?
- you'll need hp, not so much tq. Or am I wrong on this?
- narrowest tires possible to get the job done
- high rpm capability
- light weight everywhere
- air cooling will be everywhere, so no need to shove a radiator through the wind.

How about a big, nasty air cooled two stroke?

H2's and Water Buffalo's spring to mind, but neither will be "cheap" at the 200hp level, if even possible. Or narrow :D

Snowmobile engine in a bike frame OK, or does it need to be a production model?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Are Busa hitting 200 mph so easy due to power or aero? Because I don't believe they are exactly a light bike. What is the rwhp of a Busa?

Edit: Google says 175-188 hp. Aren't current GSXR's making that same power number? That's gotta be a cheaper bike to buy. And nitrous is fecking cheep cheep.

Edit 2: Google says 07 GSXR 100 = 185 hp. That's makes the Busa 1300 look like more money and weight for no reason.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
ZX14 - both those bikes in the pics from the little show I went to are 200 mile plus bikes , the blue one has done 28 straight 200 plus runs in the mile, at varying altitudes. the second bike , the orange one, is a busa. not naked , no.

he has done a lot to get the zx14 to that , every tiny detailed needs to be adressed.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bonneville is the plan. standing mile would be fucking badass tho.

naked because.... duh!! i guess it can be faired to reach the goal, but i gotta attempt it naked. for no particular reason, i just really want to.

i was trying to stay away from turbo because of cost, and i also want to try to do mostly everything myself, although its not out of the question if my next house has the right garage....i was thinking more gearing, nitrous, tuning, big engine to begin with (busa/zx14/liter bike)

i was hoping weight would my biggest place to get a busa or zx14 to do it. theres so much weight to cut from them. but ive only ridden a busa once and it was around the block so i dont really know them well.

anyone know of a naturally aspirated 200mph bandit? or idea of getting one to do it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I know of many 200mph bandits/gsxr 11's......but none that didn't have a turbo or two
on tarmac I think a bandit could be able to do it without a turbo....it would still need nitrous though.

but, the salt is a different surface....and a bike that will do 200 on the black top, wont do 200 on the salt.
I'm not sure of what percentage the salt costs in terms of drag, but it does make a significant difference.

if you built a full high performance b12 engine, with nitrous and no turbo.....it might beat the 200 mark, but I don't think it would be able to do it on the salt without the turbo

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
There's a lot of weight to cut from the Busa. The side fairings are around 10lbs a piece, front is somewhere around there, 30lbs with the cans and another 15-20 with the cat. Easy stuff with just that.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Bonneville is the plan. .
Ya might wanna rethink that,when I was workin in Utah I went there one sunday morning at about 6am I stood by tha big old speed record sign and suddenly a weard warm wind set up and it sounded likewailing voices out across tha salt flats!FOOKIN HAUNTED mate!

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I know its only a tid bit, but when I was talking to Tom about his 200mph runs he mentioned a lot of tips and tricks but the one that stood out to me ( mainly because of my mechanical and engineering background with helicopters, turbine engines, hydraulic pumps and pneudraulics) was making sure all his wheels rotated with the least amount of friction possible.

again this is only a small thing but, knowing what i do about rotating parts, binding , loads etc. it is a fact.

I spun his rear wheel and it was very easy to get moving and held the spin for way longer than a normal rear wheel. He said he used standard wheel bearings but he spent alot of time making sure everything was balanced and specc'd to make sure that even rear brake friction was the minimum it could be.

obviously there is a lot more on top of that to do but friction equals drag.

I have his info and he is always available to help and answer question, super nice dude. I can ask him if I can give you his info, Tom Krause

here is one of his Colorado runs on the mile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0JhEl1zAM

this is a good one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi5YqUTnkq8

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
The fastest I've done was about 155 on a cbr900 with fairings. If you stick your head outside the 'bubble' at that speed or stick a hand out just to see what it feels like, well it feels like it's going to be ripped off. Aerodynamic drag increases (geometrically/logarithmically/I forget) with speed so the faster you go on a naked bike the harder and harder it'll be to hold on.

Plus even if you're jockey-sized you're still as aerodynamic as a house brick if you're not behind a fairing.

If a stock busa does 194, I bet it'd be able to go nearer to 200 if you take off all the protruding bits like mirrors, any blinkers (are they faired in now?), rear fender, etc.

If I really wanted to do 200mph as cheap as possible, a busa is the only bike i would consider starting from.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts