Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the most affordable way to get into racing? What classes do they have where you don't need a sick nasty bike, and you're not allowed to modify much. I want to try racing a little, but I don't have a ton of money.
 

·
Active Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
Playstation 2. LOL! Racing isn't cheap. Period. Yea, you can compete in lower classes so you don't need to spend a ton on your bike, but you still gotta pay a ton for gas, tires, brakes, etc. Racing is VERY hard on a bike, so if you have only enough money to get the bike ready for racing, then you aren't ready! You're gonna need to have some cash put aside for repairs, you would hate to get into racing, start doing good, and have your bike break and put you out of the running, cuz you can't afford to fix it.
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,631 Posts
true that. it seems the cheapest way to go is the 500 class.

people race kawi 500 ex's which are reliable bikes, cheaper to fix, and gas is cheaper cuz you wont use as much, and tires are cheaper cuz theyre smaller.

you dont even have to have your own bike, because people rent them out for you to use.

people like my mechanic/teacher, Doctor Tom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
PT twin with an ex500...and it is still far from cheap...lol
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,631 Posts
wuts PT??

also. i noticed you said you did a penguin school...How was it? was it worth the $400+ dollars. did you ride your own bike or theirs. details details.

I want to do a school or trackday, and have my girl come as well. I would really like to get her some track time & instruction. I was considering the Penguin school, but thats a good chunk of change for the both of us. Would it be worth it? Do you know of any options to that?

I heard of TonysTrackdays...and it seems like there is instruction and free lunch, and its $100 cheaper. like $350 I believe??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
929_adam said:
wuts PT??

also. i noticed you said you did a penguin school...How was it? was it worth the $400+ dollars. did you ride your own bike or theirs. details details.

I want to do a school or trackday, and have my girl come as well. I would really like to get her some track time & instruction. I was considering the Penguin school, but thats a good chunk of change for the both of us. Would it be worth it? Do you know of any options to that?

I heard of TonysTrackdays...and it seems like there is instruction and free lunch, and its $100 cheaper. like $350 I believe??
pt = production twin....stock ex500, gs500 and some other bikes but I forget which ones...

It was awesome....it was the first time on a race track for me and i learned more that weekend then the 10 years I had been riding combined.... The class itself is not that expensive. It is $220 I think
http://www.penguinracing.com/index.cfm

I used my own bike, gear etc...the plan was to race the entire season...but that didnt happen....hopefully in the near future...and maybe on an sv650 this time..

if all you are looking for is some track time I would recommend just doing a trackday http://www.tonystrackdays.com/ if you register early they can be as cheap as $225...there are instructors there that help you out all day...most are expert racers...

you do not have to do much to the bike and there is less chances of messing your bike up...

the penguin school is a lot like a track day but they also teach you the flags...lol
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,631 Posts
BigRed875 said:
you do not have to do much to the bike and there is less chances of messing your bike up...
so wut?? like tape up the lenses?? any safety wiring??
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,631 Posts
thats cool. nothing too major there to do. i could handle that action.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
929_adam said:
I heard of TonysTrackdays...and it seems like there is instruction and free lunch, and its $100 cheaper. like $350 I believe??
350 is a ripoff.In az you can run a whole day (8 ,15min sessions)for 150 with 2 30min instruction classes and free suspension set-ups. Shop around and use the money you save for race tires(I always get take offs for like 100-150) and adding a 1/2in. spacer to the rear shock greatly improves handaling:fire:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
It was even cheaper for me, I know the owner of aztrackday and I would do a couple hours of maintenence on his cars or the bikes he rented out in exchange for a day session,I love draggin knee, way more of a rush than scrapin a high chair or bombing a seat stander down the highway:smiliebiker:
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,631 Posts
*IRONLUNG* said:
It was even cheaper for me, I know the owner of aztrackday and I would do a couple hours of maintenence on his cars or the bikes he rented out in exchange for a day session,I love draggin knee, way more of a rush than scrapin a high chair or bombing a seat stander down the highway:smiliebiker:
+fucking 1 !

I would much rather go as fast as possible thru a turn than bust any wheelie! :yeah:
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,631 Posts
gixxershane said:
i want to race but im broke a broke ass mofo:bawling: :bawling:
if you got 500 you can rent a race prepped 500 ex for the weekend.
 

·
Eff Tee Pee
Joined
·
29,631 Posts
indeed...

i dont know if you know red's friend steve, but he said i could ride his ex this season, cuz we'd be in a dif. class.

:party:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top