3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
love is when you spit before you split.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah... teach me what not to do! :D
yeah, don't dive into a forced induction project thinking "budget"... If I had a nickel for every time I argued against said advice... I'd have a shit ton of nickels...

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
yeah, don't dive into a forced induction project thinking "budget"... If I had a nickel for every time I argued against said advice... I'd have a shit ton of nickels...
A while back I added everything up (I think I got everything...) to get a complete turbocharged setup and I think it was ~$2k to have a safe engine at ~5psi. I was thinking turbocharged but with how I want to build the bike I'm now leaning towards supercharging it. You should go with a supercharger too. ;)

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts

Haha, no shit man, I'm hilt deep into turbo parts and still about $600 from the goal of looking installed properly, then another bit of dollar to get to the point of turning key and thumbing starter for a first fire.

Anybody can pull off a crude turbo system, but to have a nice, well rounded setup is gonna cost a bit. Until you can prove a fully functional system on a serious budget and reproduce it effectively, like say 2 or 3 times, your either getting lucky, or equal to Einstein.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
sorry bit nobody builds a solid good looking bike on a "budget"

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
sorry bit nobody builds a solid good looking bike on a "budget"

As example, it was when I hit the $1400 mark with sorting my CBR out with all new bearings, bushings, brakes, etc. just to get it to a point it felt brand new, that was before cutting into it like I have lately. At the point I was into my turbo setup for the 400 twin it was around $1800 and still counting needing more stuff yet, so I said fuck the bullshit and I'm just dumping it ALL into the 900RR.

At this juncture, with a 240 rear, SSSA, turbocharging, and a few other small bits my CBR will have about 3 times the value invested, and that is before paint!

And I'm building on a "budget" of sorts. Could go with more expensive stuff all the way through. There is so much room for improvement as well with not only the bike overall when I call it finished, but with the turbo system as well. Nobody finishes projects properly for cheap, there is such weight in the statement that can be made about budgets that I'm unsure anyone who hasn't built a few full bikes can relate to or understand.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, my ultimate setback is just staying on track with budget. There are so many different things that invade your sanity when laying down the decision... First and formost, the integrity of the platform. How much do you know about your engines internal tolerances... me? I didn't know, as the orignal owner owned it for 5 years or so, wrecked it, then sold it to my buddy, whom fightered it and rode the piss out of it for another 4 plus years... So, a 15 year old engine, with no odometer to speak of, is now inheriting a well known ingredient of stress named aptly known as forced induction... So why set yourself up for failure? If your cracking it open to change out pistons and a +mm rebore/hone, why not take the time to check tolerances, address the weak characteristics of the platform??? clutch, lubrication, also factor things in that make it a little more user friendly at the dyno...

This is the most crucial step, and can add quite a bit to your intended budget...

There's also the used performance parts gap... lol, which really kills me. You see OEM busa piston [email protected] $50, OEM pistons and rods @ $250, and then you see Carrillo rods @ $500... So for a little more money, you get a better product... Always fucks with my head...

Best advice, make yourself a list including budget, and pull the trigger on it... Don't stray away, don't get lost in ebay, don't bend unless the ends justify the means...:thumbsup:

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
I am my own Think Tank
138 Posts
Anybody can pull off a crude turbo system, but to have a nice, well rounded setup is gonna cost a bit. Until you can prove a fully functional system on a serious budget and reproduce it effectively, like say 2 or 3 times, your either getting lucky, or equal to Einstein.
I'm usually not very lucky, but I have been compared to Einstein a few times.. (Usually by myself). I think for a "cheap" turbo build you have to source a bunch of parts used.. I've owned a few turbo cars and I can't see how it can't be done inexpensively. Now, I am talking about a Carb'd set up. Your only real, most critical concern is your A/F ratio at WOT. everything else is just gravy. for my "200 Dolla' Whore" build I have been tossing around the idea of a turbo. I have a little baby .48 A/R from a 4cyl volvo (or maybe it was a Saab). I got that for free. As long as you can do a little fab work it should be easy peasy, Japaneasy..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts