Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
ไบรอัน
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on the quality of chinese parts particulary risers I read elsewhere that the machining can be good but the quality of materials maybe not so, seen on here people using levers ,brake discs etc with mixed results,anyone used em?

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
I'd run em.
Whatever alloy of aluminum they use will be strong enough to take your steering inputs. Might break if the bike goes down, but not from normal use.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The problem I've encountered again and again with Chinese parts, particularly aluminum, is it's a shit grade of aluminum so the threads strip out extremely easily. Sometimes before you even get enough torque to clamp it solidly in place, you feel the bolt start to strip.

I hate paying $80 for a widget when you can get one on ebay for $20, but time and time again I end up buying the $20 one, it gets tossed in the scrap bin 10 minutes after it arrives, then I go buy the $80 one anyway.

Just yesterday one of my fake CRG mirrors just fell apart on the highway after maybe a year. Frame fell off and the glass went whipping out of there. So now it's either buy another set of cheapos, or cough up $200 for the real ones. I think spending $200 for fooking bar ends is insanity, but there doesn't really seem to be a middle ground. It's either premium blingy parts at ultra premium prices, or cheap ebay junk.

·
10,850 Posts
been using Chinese levers for years, never an issue, friends use them and Chinese clip ons on their race bikes . Only thing I've had issues with are their rearsets, too flimsy, end up bending

·
3,993 Posts
There are certainly some things that are not to be trusted to the Chinese. Rearsets are one of them, in my opinion, because they can cause serious damage/injury if they fail AND there's a strong chance of failure under maximum load with shitty materials (i.e. I'm standing with 100% on the pegs and unwittingly jump a speedbump and come down hard).
Bar risers have the potential for serious damage/injury upon failure, BUT there's a very low chance of them reaching the point of failure while you're still on the bike.
The only serious complaint I've heard about levers is poor machining causing the brake lever to stick slightly and burn up your brakes... easily solved with some polishing. The other thing I've heard and actually experienced is that in some cases they don't engage the brake light switch until you're well into the throw of the lever, and in my case this was past the normal amount of movement I'd apply to the lever in normal braking. There are ways around that too, though.
I've never had an issue with threads... with Chinese eBay parts, there always seem to be TONS of different sellers selling the same or a very similar item, and I just go for the one with the most sales and reasonably high rating (i.e. Seller A has 99.2% rating with 687 sales, and Seller B has a 97.7% rating with 3794 sales, I'm going with Seller B).

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I've never had an issue with Chinese levers.

Chinese LED indicators, however, are junk. All of them. I've tried so many pairs that I feel qualified to say that. Went back to 21w halogen bulbs (shin yo imola1 if anyone is interested).

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
I concur with the two before me. I have Danmoto rearsets, dunno if they're chinese or not but they have an annoying habit of loosening the bolts of the shift pedal and the footpegs themselves. I don't dare to stand on the pegs cause the frame parts flex a little and there's been a few cases when the footpeg has suddenly undone it's bolt and spun around causing my foot to slip from the peg as the hinge is pointing down.

I also have chinese ebay bar risers and I've hand filed a bevel on their bottoms because of the uneven top triple. Have no bad word about those. I've had chinese ebay levers on two bikes, as long as you check they function properly upon fitting and smear the pivot with adhesive grease you're good to go.

That being said, I'm sure there are dodgy parts out there as well, ordering from ebay is always a bit of a gamble as the buyer pays return shipping rule pretty much voids your possibility of a refund and the sellers know this.

But yea ebay LED turning indicators are all shit, I've ordered enough pairs as well to confirm this. Some are on the so-so level of being bright enough, but most are either hilariously dim, fail quickly, the wrong color or a combination or them.

Reactions: sepang and ROBBO

·
ไบรอัน
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I fancied a pair of these but they are too expensive, risers way cheaper

·
ไบรอัน
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem I've encountered again and again with Chinese parts, particularly aluminum, is it's a shit grade of aluminum so the threads strip out extremely easily. Sometimes before you even get enough torque to clamp it solidly in place, you feel the bolt start to strip.

I hate paying $80 for a widget when you can get one on ebay for $20, but time and time again I end up buying the $20 one, it gets tossed in the scrap bin 10 minutes after it arrives, then I go buy the $80 one anyway.
Thats muuch the same as me,I go for the cheaper option hoping it will be diffrent that time usually end up paying for the more expensive part.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
I could just sell you a full front end, 45mm forks, nissin four pots, 3 spoke wheel, billet yokes, fat bar risers and bars

I woud get that inna fookin heartbeat if I was closer !

·
ไบรอัน
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I could just sell you a full front end, 45mm forks, nissin four pots, 3 spoke wheel, billet yokes, fat bar risers and bars
I'm doing this cheep mate but that sounds the bollocks,whit would we be looking at for it out of curiosity?:D

·
3,993 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts