Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Choosing a fighter base

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  caferacerdan 
#1 ·
Just curious how many of you pick the bikes you choose as a project??

Is it purely cost or availability?
Specific Vision? (Almost like a theme bike)
One particular feature of the donor bike that you like?
Aftermarket support?
Unique-ness?
A childhood memory of a certain bike?
Power?
Ease of build?

#2 ·
Time to change your screen name, no?

Is it purely cost or availability? Neither
Specific Vision? (Almost like a theme bike) Nope
One particular feature of the donor bike that you like? Yup, L Twin motor
Aftermarket support? A small factor I suppose
Unique-ness? Doubtful many start with a truely unique bike
A childhood memory of a certain bike? Yup
Power? Not so much, but more is better!
Ease of build? LOL!

#4 ·
Its how I feel at any moment in time. me family comes first then bikes are me escape from ugly reality. I really don't think I choose ,it just happens ;)
I do think tho any base ,if you have tha balls ' will work .

#9 ·
The Busa was and is about power. Circumstances worked out that I found a good one for a decent price, but I had been secretly itching for one for a while.

The FZ-1, the Bandit, and literally all of my other bikes just kind of happened. I wasn't actively looking when I picked up any of them, but a good bike showed up for a good price.

My criteria for NOT buying a bike is far more specific. I recently passed on a killer deal on what would have been a great canvass for a build because I didn't like how the frame looked (aesthetically, not in terms of the condition it was in).

#10 ·
I should clarify that when I said "ease of build" I meant it as in not needing to reinvent the wheel. Eg- wanted an sssa and the cbr893/919 have been done a million times so the research and knowledge is already out there.

Mccantar- which year fz1 you got? I had an 08, was like a 600 til 8k then holy f*ck haha. Next bike is a busa (waiting on tax return) purely for the torque. It's gonna end up looking pretty much like a fz1, but with VFR sssa and panigale 3 spoke wheels

#12 ·
I should clarify that when I said "ease of build" I meant it as in not needing to reinvent the wheel. Eg- wanted an sssa and the cbr893/919 have been done a million times so the research and knowledge is already out there.
If all the research has been done for you, where's the fun?

#13 ·
Is it purely cost or availability? depends

Specific Vision? (Almost like a theme bike) no

One particular feature of the donor bike that you like? no

Aftermarket support? who needs aftermarket when chunks of aluminum and milling machines are around.

Unique-ness? nah

A childhood memory of a certain bike? can be

Power? no bike is powerful enough stock

Ease of build? everything is easy

i think choosing a bike is pretty calculated choice based on the specific person.. i've bought bikes because they're cheap/cheaper, and ones that I want..

but if a person isnt mechanically inclined, or learning etc, a bike with a large aftermarket following and maybe a better bike just off the bat, read higher cost, could be higher up on the list.. but personally i don't sweat the small stuff.. it's all nuts and bolts.

#14 ·

In a reasonable way. If it will cost mofe than just buy something cooler then i wont do it.

Not really, but i do have a soft spot for 80-90's endurance bikes

Engine must be V layout, and made by honda

Aftermarket support?

Arent bikes like lego!?

Unique-ness?

Thats the reason why we customize

Turns out for ages in childhood i had honda rs750 poster on wall.

Power?

I'm gathering parts for underpowered bike fr track days. Makes you learn to be quicker withouth relying on bike

Ease of build?

What's that?

Reactions: shinyribs
#15 ·
Cost or availability? Nope. I could afford almost any bike.

Specific Vision? (Almost like a theme bike) Nope. I have no idea what my completed bikes will look like.

One particular feature of the donor bike that you like? I prefer 2-stroke bikes, but I'll build anything.

Aftermarket support? Nope. Can't find shit for these old bikes. Have to figure it out.

Unique-ness? The bikes I like are extremely unique, but that's not why I like them. But, I also like the fact that they are unique. A lot.

A childhood memory of a certain bike? Yep. Rode shit 2-strokes as a kid.

Power? Nope. I prefer to ride full-throttle all the time.

Ease of build?[/QUOTE] Nope. The opposite. I only want to do shit others haven't done.

#17 ·
Is it purely cost or availability? I'm cheap when it comes to the base of the project but have a tendency to splurge on the other stuff. Example, I bought a bike for $300 and put $1600 into the wheels and suspension because the parts looked purty on eBay.

Specific Vision? (Almost like a theme bike) I usually have an idea of what I want the lines of the bike to look like but that's the equivalent of looking at concept sketches from manufacturers that are made up of a few squiggly lines.

One particular feature of the donor bike that you like? For my 7/11 build it was the shape of the frame and history of the engine.

Aftermarket support? I usually have to make all my own stuff so I don't think about this. Then it comes back to bite me in the ass when I get lazy and want things done yesterday.

Unique-ness? Nothing I start with is unique but it usually is when I'm done.

A childhood memory of a certain bike? That would be the CBX build.

Power? I don't want the bike to be slow so I guess that is a little bit of a factor. If the bike is down on power I tend to build it in a way to make it feel faster.

Ease of build? My gsxr 7/11 build is currently made up of parts from 12 different manufacturers. I'm a machinist by day and do suspension and brake math when I get bored. Some say I over complicate things.

#18 ·
I picked my Duc 748 as my first project bike because I had no fucking idea what I was getting into and basically said screw it, this should be fun. I also learned that apparently I like flushing money down the toilet on a regular basis:doh:

Turned out alright though....

#19 ·
One day, maybe a long way in the future when I have a garage or space to work in, I'll build another bike. It might be an nc23 with a big round light. Or an sc33 with a big round light. Probably leave the original fat asses on either one of them.

So my vision seems to be a Honda IL4, big beam frame, fat ass, big round headlight, keep the clip ons if my back can still take it by then.

Not so much extreme modded street fighter as denuded sports bike. Cafe fighter perhaps?

#20 · (Edited)
Is it purely cost or availability? - tend to build whatever comes my way
Specific Vision? (Almost like a theme bike) - theme bikes are for OCC, my builds just evolve
One particular feature of the donor bike that you like? - depends on the donor bike
Aftermarket support? - never
Unique-ness? - isn't that a given?
A childhood memory of a certain bike? - possibly, Bloodrunners, AMA superbikes
Ease of build? - if it was easy everyone would do it

snapshot answers, could prob write a feature on those questions.......... MDM....
Power?

#21 ·
I buy what I want and figure out the $$ later

My "theme" is almost like trying to build something factory looking, yet still modded.

1300cc....

Aftermarket support?
Yes- for power mods
No- for basic other bits and bobs

Unique-ness?
Don't see any fighters where I'm from.
So being unique is pretty much a given

As a young hoon, the busa was "the" bike that me and the lads lusted after.

Power? Easy 200hp- yes please!!!

Ease of build?
Nope

#22 ·
Is it purely cost or availability? Usually on a strict budget!
Specific Vision? Something that looks mean and wheelies well!
One particular feature of the donor bike that you like? the heart (engine)
Aftermarket support? nah usually end up making most of the parts with the exception of bars, levers etc
Unique-ness? thats the point of a fighter innit?
A childhood memory of a certain bike? Dodge on his supercharged Supabusa wheelieing past me at silly speed!
Power? Depends on the build...usully like 100hp+
Ease of build? The fun is in the struggle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.