Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this via google.
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Chrome-Plating

Anyone with experience in removing chrome from alloy wheels? I've got a set of wheels for my car that came to me cheap because nobody in their right mind wants chrome 16s on an 90's bimmer... wonder why

I want to strip the shit off of them for PC or something.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've wanted to do the same thing, i hate chrome... It looks like it would be easy to do with the coke one, just get one of those plastic storage bins and a bunch of liter's of coke. They're like a buck each. And try it out, or do the bleach one, since it'll leave the primer.

Coke is a terrible thing, it'll dissolve a tooth overnight

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
well, i figured you could cut the bumper into a couple pieces and try a couple different ways to see which you like best.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd like to know how this works out too. I've tried the muriatic acid and it just destroys aluminum, so stay away from that.
I read that about the 'easy off' too... Coke is pretty passive compared to muriatic acid and oven cleaner. I gotta find out if the friendly local junk yard has something cheap and chrome...

... sent from a nexus5 HAMMERHEAD

G

·
Most chrome companies will have a dip tank for removing old chrome, its just a reverse of the original process & usually cheap

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Most chrome companies will have a dip tank for removing old chrome, its just a reverse of the original process & usually cheap
True! I just remembered I had a 18x4.5 40 spoke rim that I had the chrome stripped off of for a past build. The place charged $30 and they said for another $25 they would powder coat it for me. Might not be a bad way to go.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
That's not an option in my area. No chrome shops here will touch walk-in work. And I don't know why. I asked around and finally located the one chroming facility in my area. When I walked in (which I thought was odd..."am I allowed in here?" )they were just going at it: dipping stuff left and right. But when i started asking about what it costs to have my stuff done the guy stared me in the eye and said "We don't do chrome plating here." After a couple huh?'s I got the clue. BS.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I can understand a machine shop especially i its all cnc, cause of the programing and such but a chrome shop? All you do is attach electrodes and dip for however long...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
its probably the cost of all the chemicals, which im sure dont last indefinitely. its probably just to hard to try and make that money back doing small jobs before they have to replace em

1 - 19 of 19 Posts