Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna do some distance riding this summer and was thinking of wiring up a cigarette lighter out of a car in to my bike, probably under the rear seat hatch. Has anyone done this? I don't believe it would be difficult, but I don't know what wires to splice. Now that thinking on the fly could I just use the old blinker wires and leave the blinker on? I don't have blinkers so no problem there. Obviously I'm not an electrical genius. I should probably have a solid power source. Sorry its 1130 am here i got out of work last night hand haven't slept.

Anyway help or tips appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I went to O'rielly's Auto Parts and got one of the universal power ports they sell. It had a little rubber cap that fits pretty tight. Even though I have mine mounted so that the opening faces forward, it has never let water in. The wind coming head-on actually helps push the cap on. Anyway, it was about $5.

I actually have mine wired directly off the battery since I planned to use it as the charging port for my battery tender. That,and a handle bar mount for my phone (GPS), was really handy on my last little trip. I can't wait to take another camping trip on my bike. Come on summer....

I can post pics if you like,but it's nothing special. Zipties,baby!

I had seen the ones like Mike posted, but i wanted something more universal. If you break something in the middle of BFE they might not have every sort of adapter to choose from. But standard cigarette lighter type plugs are everywhere. Gives you a place to plug in a mini air compressor too. Good for air mattresses as well as tires :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts