Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I want to use clay to make a plug for a fiberglass mold.What is the best way to seal the clay in order to lay fiberglass?

Thanks

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
Hey Spyrious! I use Plasticine non drying clay with my projects. I don't use anything to seal it. It might get some release wax because it is in proximity of an area I'm applying release wax to. It is a pain to remove from the finished mold but mineral spirits really helps the removal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.I dont have access to type of clay here in Greece.I'll try aluminium foil if i cant find anything better.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
To make the rear fender on my DR650 project (link below, cough cough) I used regular modeling clay then covered it with aluminum tape and then packing tape. Like "mikegyver" said, if you use body filler on the plug you can pull a decent part out.

Things I'd do different would be to use gel coat on my mold and a release agent. I used bunch of wax and vasaline but I ended up killing the mold when releasing the part. It helped that the part was a lot stronger than the mold in that case though...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.I will use wax and gel coat.I think i will buy some bodyfiller to smooth out the mold.I never used gel coat though.Will it stay on the mold after i pull it off the plug?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
From what I have read it is a good idea to use PVA in addition to several coats of paste wax. The good thing is PVA is relatively inexpensive and it looks like it doesn't take much so should go a long ways.

I usually search for youtube videos on different subjects I'm interested in. Some are excellent and others not so much. You can tell almost right away whether the video is worth watching or not.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
I never used gel coat though.Will it stay on the mold after i pull it off the plug?
If you wax and PVA, or equivalent, then layup the gel coat and subsequent fiberglass and resin and following the manufacturers instructions then the gel coat will come off with the fiberglass and leave a quality surface.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Those Easy Composites videos are pretty awesome. I've watched the series they did when they made a hood which was pretty cool to watch. They use nothing but the best mold and carbon fiber supplies which is probably out of a normal persons price range. The videos are very useful in learning good techniques though.

Another good channel is from the Fab Forums. His techniques are a little more what you would see someone doing carbon fiber parts at home. Check it out. He has a lot of videos that would fit in with the CF style of building things.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!!!

Just to show you what i'm up to.I have a tl1000r,which has a mirror stay from aluminium,like many bikes of this gen.

I want to remove it so i can raise and move the clipons back closer to me.In order to do this i will make a new fairings stay that holds headlight,gauges and the upper fairing.

This is the fairing stay

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
You can achieve that by sectioning the middle of the existing support to draw the vertical legs closer together. You can bring them to a Y shape and drop the new middle part into the steering stem hole like other bikes did. That will give you plenty of room for clip ons.

Or, you can simply coat your clay with PVA (mold release) and lay fiberglass on that to make a mold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts