Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Bandit 1200
Acewell 3904

I bought the Acewell speedo sensor cable (S6); the one that plugs into the oem speedo drive and converts mechanic al to electrical so I don't have to mess with the magnet sensor setup that Acewell sent me.

Well, not so good. After trying two different s6 speedo sensor cables, my speed is still reading way off. If I'm doing 25 mph, it reads 39 mph! The faster I go the more in accurate it gets.

So I need some ideas for a clean setup using the magnet and sensor that came in the box. Or open to other ideas. I want the cleanest and low profile setup I can get.

·
Currently Feckless
332 Posts
Acewell magnet Speedo pickup manuals -
ACE-S Sensor mounting: http://www.acewell.co.uk/manuals/ACE-S_mounting_instructions.pdf

ACE-S Sensor fitting: http://www.acewell.co.uk/manuals/ace-s-fitting-instructions.pdf

Mate, just look at the setup instructions to know what you limitations are - the distance and position of the magnet and sensor, then decide where they can go.
The most out of sight location would be on a sprocket. That's where I'm thinking of putting mine, however, it might require extension of the stock wiring, but it'll be cleaner than a front brake disc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up first putting the sensor on the caliper with magnet glued into one of the disc buttons, but was not getting consistent readings. So I left magnet inside the disc button and moved the sensor to the front leading edge of the fork. Now it works perfectly. Not quite hidden but not bad.

Just need to figure out the crazy tach and why it fluctuates and doesn't read correctly half the time. I have it hooked to one of the power leads going to the coil, with resistor installed!

Time to try the ignition coil lead, wrap technique FOR THE SECOND TIME. If it doesn't work again I'm getting rid of it altogether. Like 90% of street riders I don't even look at my tach anyways. It's mostly just a bling thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts