Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a couple of people have gone through and did some electrolysis to get rid of the rust, but was wondering if any other methods were available.

Here is the tank in question:

Thanks for the help!

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
1. A handful of BB's or small pebbles.....and alot of shaking. PITA to remove them afterwards though
2. rust neutralizer. not sure of a name brand, but it will turn the rust into an inert phosphate

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking around I found 2 other methods, similar to what you were talking about:

and this one... which just doesn't seem like it would do anything - sounds like your pebble and bb idea:

Really just looking to get the most efficient and economical way of doing it :)

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
check out this thread...its something I came up with while cleaning my 79's tank.

I dubbed it 'the tank snake'. Works great and pretty quickly too.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53071

electrolysis is somewhat old news but very affective as well...it just takes lots of patience and time.

Reactions: DecepticonDon

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn that Snake tank cleaner thread is a great idea... Any pics of it in action? I may have to try it out, the only thing i'd be worried about is not getting the part of the tank I can't see.

Good idea though and thanks for sharing.

·
n00blet
20 Posts
One word... Evaporust.

·
Registered
705 Posts
White vineager.....fill it up let it sit for a day repeat as necessary.

You can also shake with nuts bolts whatever I prefer magnetic items easier to fish with a magnet.

It will be spotless.

Just make sure you get it all rinsed out really good with gas before you reinstall.

·
not a hugger
159 Posts
White vineager.....fill it up let it sit for a day repeat as necessary.

You can also shake with nuts bolts whatever I prefer magnetic items easier to fish with a magnet.

It will be spotless.
My ducati tank is filled with vinegar right now and it is totally rust free from it. it took about a week to rid the rust. i hear coke a cola works to.

·
628 Posts
Why anyone would use any other method beside electrolysis is beyond me. Total cost in less than 50 bucks(thats if you gotta buy a 12v charger, which most of us have laying around) ZERO elbow grease needed and its self limiting and no harsh chems. I literally sat outside drinking beers watching the rust bubble away from my gas tank... Easy peezy.

·
DW is all that matters
119 Posts

·
n00blet
20 Posts
Why bother with a battery charger and spending $50 when a gallon of evaporust is cheaper.

Kinda like those old Tarnex commercials.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's something that cost me about oh maybe.... $25.00 and it works. Grocery store white vinegar. Box of small sheet rock or drywall screws.

I just restored a 1968 CL350 tank. Pour bolts in tank. Shake shake shake, depending on how much rust is in it. Then pour half of the bottle of vinegar. Shake shake shake, longer the better. Pour enough vinegar to top off tank. Let sit for 24hr-42hrs., depending on rust build up.

Then I used the KBS Rust kit to seal the tank. Brand friggin new! And safe on the environment, besides the metal rust.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
^Do what this gent did with the screws...

Dry it out with MEK or Acetone slosh it around a bit...

Red-kote > Ebay 26.99 free shipping... Far better than kreem and you can use the residual run off for other stuff...

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
id use chain. so i know i got all the pieces out

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just used the POR-15 kit on my 1981 Virago and it works pretty well www.amazon.com/POR-15-Cycle-Tank-Re...947946&sr=8-4&keywords=por-15+gas+tank+sealer which i paid 55$ shipped from Amazon , cheaper in the US im in Canada . Did the Marine wash step in two shots , one normal and one with a handfull of gravel i spun around the tank which i rinsed several times and brought to an accessible corner of the tank then sucked with a small pipe taped at the end of my shop vac and everything was gone easy. The first rinse water was dark brown/orange the varnishes melted right away. Second step is the acid etch , gotta rinse with super hot water then dry . The 3rd step is the sealer , did 2 coats in two days looks like its covering very well and hardens pretty hard. i had some corrosion pin head holes to seal , hence the second coat. pretty sure a single coat is far enough for a normal job but wanted to be sure the small holes were properly sealed .

wasnt easy to get an inside tank iPhone pic but looks like this..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts