Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new phone a few days ago and was sifting through the pics on it that were transferred from my other cell when I came across a few VERY interesting pics! ('99 R6 Fighter)

My bro took my buddies R6 for a ride and brought a few tools, needless to say the tools are missing.... errrr, well, all but one! They came out of the rear storage in the tail under the passenger seat and worked themselves out, one by one. The leatherman worked it's way down but not out!

Imagine if this would have gotten into the sprocket!! :eek:

Anyone else have pics of close calls, fuck ups, and generally crazy situations unfolding without provocation? We all have them happen, do we really want to admit it though? :D

-Rat

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The really scary part of it is that it probably happened at the start of the ride and after getting wedged between the gearbox case and swinger pivot, IF it would have gone in, it would have totally locked up the rear end.

I know I told the story once, but to sum it up again, I had a rear end lock up at 120mph and rode the thing to a stop without falling. This could have been really fucking bad, had he been cornering. All the same thoughts and feelings from my near disaster came rushing back when I saw the pic today.

·
perfectly imperfect
611 Posts
Yeah. the duffel bag I had half ass strapped to my tail slipped and got caught up in the swinger and locked the rear wheel at 75 mph on the interstate. Its not 120. but it still scared the shit outta me as I weaved across two lanes and came to a stop on the white line. I could stick my fist in the hole in the rear tire. shit man at a buck 20 I would have literally shit myself.

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As the saying goes Rob,

:thumbsup:

I did a little digging and found the lockup story and the pics! :D

I have mentioned elsewhere here that it was up to a new tire or a jack up kit from England. Well I opted for the tire, but I wanted to have my hooker and fuck her too! I set to work figuring out how much I needed to lop out of the dog bone links to jack it up the 40mm that the billet link kit offered. I found the thickness of the angle grinder wheel was exactly the size so I mowed right through those fuckers and did a really really clean butt weld and ground the slop off of the edges and bolted them back in. Boy oh boy, that bike wanted to be "up-on-one" constantly under 4th gear, I was loving it! Thinking nothing of the ticking time bomb under me. :(

This was 2 days after my buddy eats shit on his GSXR, my little bro and I are still feeling like something is coming but I am thowing caution to the wind, figured that it had passed and it was paranoia that was getting the best of me and started to ease back into the crazy shit. My bro and I were headed back to the Grove from Mad town and we were maybie 4 miles from the house, 16 miles into the trip, and I decided I needed to show my little bro the new "trick" I learned. Valantino Rossie style knee's against the tank, torsoe hanging out over the front, high speed standup wheelie.

But I was throwing a twist into it, I was hill cresting at 120+mph in 5th gear when I did it! I go rocketing off ahead of my bro, standup at 120, bounce the front on the top of the hill, gas the shit out of it, bring it right up to the float point, and right as the bike starts to come down off the hill crest, the wheelie starts to set down, and I feel everything go to hell all at once!! I mean, EVERYTHING was wrong!!!

The front end slams down so hard my chin bar on my helmet hits the gauges, my chest hits the tank filler cap (how ever the fuck that happened) and my hands and feet nearly come off the pegs and bars from the impact. For a moment I thought I hit a deer, then it dawned on me I was still standing up, I was still moving REALLY FAST and I was going sideways as a mofo!

I started to steer the bars like a giant dirtbike, the whole chassis just like jello under me, and I think "oh fuck I hatched the motor and the rear tire is covered in oil!! Then I flash back to when that happened at 90mph on the VF500F and think "hmmm, been there done that this is diffrent" then it hits me, "the transmission locked up!", nope, "the chain is bound up in the rear wheel and swinger!", wrong again. The bike is still sliding and it's getting closer and closer to the edge of the road, that ditch is looking REALLY deep and I am starting to hang off the left side like crazy and try to keep this full lock slide from going high side on me.

I get slowed down a bunch, it felt like hours I was sliding down the road with the rear locked up, and it gets close to 30-40mph and starts getting really squirly, the rear starts hopping all over the place, but it's still not down! I wrestle it down to a stop, step off the side and realise it was about 6 inches from peg to ground, and it finally dawns on me, THE FUCKING DOG BONES BROKE!!!!! It effectivly wedged the tire against the subframe and abruptly stopped it.

Triple digit "Header vs Asphalt" mark. Still gives me the heebie jeebies looking at it.

Clear black mark, yes that is the B12 waaaaay the hell down the road on the right.

The entire length of it, about 600 or so feet.

Me, Blue, and a moment forever captured.

I braced and re welded the dog bone links and didn't have a problem after that, but it goes to show, you should know exactly what your doing if your going to do it.

·
Playing Pelvic Penuckle!
2,572 Posts
Did you have to throw out your undies?

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you have to throw out your undies?
I always deducted that I couldn't hear the screech of the tire locked up due to the thunderous sound of shitting myself for 800 feet sideways. :D

Kinda funny how that was the single closest call I've ever had and it was due to being sideways... so what do I do? Build a flat tracker a year later. Slip angle is addicting! :D

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
thats a first for me i changed a flat tire on a Goldwing 1800 once. know what made the flat. a champion Brand Spark plug wedged its self on in and blew the tire out

Reactions: RatFighter

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
"brown Zone next 800 ft" on a sign thats light brown with dark brown letters

1 - 20 of 20 Posts