Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone that can fabricate a speedo/tach/fuel mount for my bike...below is a pic of the configuration I would like, & dimensions of the individual gauges...Thanks!

The speedo/tach diameter is exactly 3-5/8" and the fuel gauge is 2" in diameter.

I will attach pic of my forks, etc, & take suggestions where it should be mounted...YES, the cluster is large, yes, it may look awkward, yes, it's what I want...lol.

Gauges:

Front of forks:

Top of forks:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
You can make your own with some sheet metal a grinder and some metal sheers. Really easy to make

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking for a solid steel type housing...I might have to end up doing it myself though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
You can do that too. You might just need the assistance of a hammer or rubber mallet to get it round around them.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking more of a solid piece about 1/4" thick...basically drop the guages in and use shims to tighten them down.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
It's your bike and all but 1/4" thick is super overkill. 1/8" would be plenty solid even out of aluminum. How large are the diameters of the holes you need? Of course a machinist could make light work out of something like this but it could definitely be done with run of the mill power tools.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's your bike and all but 1/4" thick is super overkill. 1/8" would be plenty solid even out of aluminum. How large are the diameters of the holes you need? Of course a machinist could make light work out of something like this but it could definitely be done with run of the mill power tools.
The speedo/tach diameter is exactly 3-5/8" and the fuel gauge is 2" in diameter...I suppose a dremel tool & the correct attachments would work to make it myself...So, 1/8" aluminum would work...? I don't have access to a welder, so thats why I was wanting to get someone else to fab it for me...I wouldn't be able to fab the mount to it correctly...figured someone with a CAD program could draw it out for me, & I could get a local machinist to do it for me...

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Yes 1/8" is pretty damn thick. Also you might be able to buy hole saw bits those sizes or at least real close to it, or save yourself more money and see if a friend has them. Then use a file set to get dress all the burrs and what not. If you don't wanna go the hole saw route then a dremel will work but youll be spending more time getting the final outline of the hole perfectly round since you dont wanna just try and cut a perfect circle with a cutoff wheel attachment. Fuck that up and you gotta start from scratch or deal with the blemish. I really hope all that makes sense.

See the big thing is if you were to have someone CNC this shit, I'm guessing it would cost you around $200-$350. You gotta remember, they have to design the thing and make the program to run in whatever machine they do this in and by the end of it they've put in hours and hours of R&D and code writing and thats not cheap. Also keep in mind most machinists dont just have those $100,000 machines at their house. they gotta do it at work and work comes first so you can expect to wait a long time before you get it.

I say make a cardboard template for the face of it, copy that over to a piece of 1/8" aluminum, cut that out however you can and THEN make mounting holes for brackets that will connect said gauge face to your triples rather than attempt to or pay someone else to make this big beefy solid expensive 1 piece unit ya know?

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I say make a cardboard template for the face of it, copy that over to a piece of 1/8" aluminum, cut that out however you can and THEN make mounting holes for brackets that will connect said gauge face to your triples rather than attempt to or pay someone else to make this big beefy solid expensive 1 piece unit ya know?
Sounds like a winner...I heard that Lexan will work pretty damn well for a housing unit...would you agree? I'm thinking I could use a coping saw to get the edges within 1/16" & use the dremel to knock off the burrs...I would use small rubber washers for screws to mount to the triple to keep the Lexan from cracking...Just wonder if the Lexan will be steady enough, since I will have almost no fairing to block the wind...

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
It all depends man, in the world of polycarbonate sheet you have a TON of options. Honestly if it were me aluminum or steel would be my first choice. Plexiglass may be easier to drill but it can be super brittle and a lot harder to fix a mistake.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It all depends man, in the world of polycarbonate sheet you have a TON of options. Honestly if it were me aluminum or steel would be my first choice. Plexiglass may be easier to drill but it can be super brittle and a lot harder to fix a mistake.
Guess I need to find me some aluminum then... ;)

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Check lowes or home depot. Theyll have it at Ace but its probably gonna be more expensive. You can but them in 12" square sheets to I believe. OR find some scrap metal. Ive repurposed plenty of stuff from the trash can that ended up on my bikes.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check lowes or home depot. Theyll have it at Ace but its probably gonna be more expensive. You can but them in 12" square sheets to I believe. OR find some scrap metal. Ive repurposed plenty of stuff from the trash can that ended up on my bikes.
I decided to go digital...still need a small one for my fuel clock tho...may use the almighty zip-tie for now tho!!! :D

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ever figure out the mounting for the fuel gauge?
Not really...kinda put it on the back burner for now...

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Not really...kinda put it on the back burner for now...

Where do you want it to mount? What do you want it to look like? Can you post a picture of the side of the gauge?

I may have some aluminium at home that I could put something together for you. Idk if you saw the mount I did for my vapor gauge, but I could do something similar (no welding, just cutting, filing, and finishing)

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I need to mount my headlight to see howuch room I'm going to have...but I'll most likely take you up on that, sir.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll let you know what i have tomorrow, we can go from there
Sounds great! Thanks bro! I might end up going with the full analog look, & use the clocks that came with the bike...not 100% sure yet. I bought a digital speedo, & I think the digi speedo and analog fuel gauge is going to look super tacky...lol

·
Cmon' Kitty!
777 Posts
If you want to DIY, mock it up in paperboard and transfer to 1/4" alum.

Call aroudn to local machine shops or metal suppliers and ask if they have any "drops" they'd sell you or trade for beer

The extra bits of scrap that are leftover from old jobs are called drops

Reactions: DecepticonDon
1 - 20 of 31 Posts