Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms:

- I noticed in the morning, the engine gave me that warning sound like I wasn't giving it enough gas before it would stall.

- clutch lever feel is very inaccurate. First if feels ok one second, then after a few blocks it gets real tight and then it went dead.

-After I continuosly adjust the sluctch cable(from both ends) after a few blocks, I have the same problems.

- When I click into first gear and slowly let out the lever, the bike doesn't stall and the bike isn't pulling anywhere, then while I'm still, I'll click into 2nd and the bike feels like it's pulling like it would out of first. I'd give it 8,000 rpm and and the bike isn't going anywhere like it should.

-After the bike stalled for the last time that I can handle, I pulled the lever in all the way so I can push it out of traffic, it wouldn't budge.

After a while, I was able to push it. but when I let the lever out, I was still able to push it. While pushing the bike out of trafic, I was hearing a click sound coming from the lower left side(clutch area). Anyway the local bike shop was luckily a few blocks away so I pushed it there. When I described what was going on, he messed with the cable adjustments then he told me it wasn't the cable, but it was the clutch itself. He was able to find neutral so he said that's a good thing since IF he couldn't find neutral, it would've meant the tranny was fuct.

I'm thinking of when I changed mt front sprocket, I was trying to get that sprocket nut off but couldn't cause the sprocket kept moving(I had the bike in gear), I later found out I was supposed to keep it in neutral and keep the rear tire firm to be able to keep the front sprocket still so I can loose the nut.

Could me repeatedly involuntarily forcing that front sprocket to move while in gear have caused my cutch to go that bad?

The only things that I have done to that area was replace the clutch cable and change the front sprocket. I never stunted this bike or rode the clutch. It started as soon as I got out of the driveway.

If there's any questions any of the mechanics here would like to ask me regarding the symptoms, please ask, cause a new clutch is $225, and that's not something I know how to install so labor on top of that.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
there's a possibility the basket may have come apart. sometimes you can look in the oil fill hole and spin the motor over by hand slowly, looking for missing "ears" off the basket.

but, i'd check the clutch mechanism that's attached to the front sprocket cover. it may be jacked. there's a few real little ball bearings in there that ride in grooves to push the clutch pushrod. it may have gotten messed up while you had the cover off changing the front sprocket. it should rotate pretty freely, and should push in and out while you rotate it.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at the fich for the front sprocket, not sure where the connection is made and messing things up on the clutch if I was forcing the sprocket, sorry, I'm just trying to understand this before I plunk down cash for one thing if I need another.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
the outer basket (#1) can be seen thru the oil fill hole. it doesn't happen often on sv's, but i guess something in the clutch itself could have broken.

i'd still put money on the clutch mechanism (#17), especially since you had it off right before this started. that style of clutch adjuster (#18,19) is really picky about being adjusted right too. i usually set them so you can just wiggle the adjuster screw with the clutch lever out.

the mechanism may also be working fine in your hand, but with the pressure of the clutch against it, it may not be working right.

everything was fine before you changed the front sprocket, right?

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
btw, i usually use a pnuematic impact driver to get sprocket nuts off. i highly doubt you messed anything up getting the nut off and back on.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skr00zloose said:
the outer basket (#1) can be seen thru the oil fill hole. it doesn't happen often on sv's, but i guess something in the clutch itself could have broken.

i'd still put money on the clutch mechanism (#17), especially since you had it off right before this started. that style of clutch adjuster (#18,19) is really picky about being adjusted right too. i usually set them so you can just wiggle the adjuster screw with the clutch lever out.

the mechanism may also be working fine in your hand, but with the pressure of the clutch against it, it may not be working right.

everything was fine before you changed the front sprocket, right?
I was messing with that clutch adjuster(18,19). I don't have the bike anymore, it's at the shop. Was alot closer than my house and there wasn't a way for me to get the bike home unless I wanted to push it a few miles uphill. I'll call the tomorrow and ask them to check that before anything. Yes, the bike and clutch was working fine before.

Just a question for the sake of asking it. I changed the clutch cable and replaced it with one from a DL650 which is alot longer than the SV. I did that so I'd be able to route it correctly as opposed to routing it out the side of the frame. Would the length of the cable have anything to do with it? The cable it tight on both ends.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
as long as you had roughly the same amount of inner cable sticking out of either end and were able to gat it adjusted right, the overall length shouldn't matter.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just found out what it was... one of the plates was melted onto the pressure plate(#7). We chipped it off, but after looking at the pressure plate, a new one is definately needed. When we took off the clutch case, it all smelled burnt. The basket had burn marks but still looks ok to use.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can't be from illicit activities and I haven't felt it slip. The shop is somewhat of a hangout and everyone remembers me from way back when I was in my early twenties and they swear I cooked it. I still smell the burn in my hands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts