Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just Pissing in the wind.
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok sooooo, my lack of knowledge is starting to rear it's head, I'm looking to have rear sets and bolts sprocket and misc things anodized bronze, however only certain alloys apparently can be anodized and I don't know the specific alloys of things. I really would like to have the outer fork tubes done to any suggestions on color proses guys?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
you could powdercoat them. but on a lot of the things it would wear off with use. like on the sprocket. the bolt heads would be worthless to powder as they would change in size and get chewed right up. id paint the bolt heads. for the sprocket id probably go paint to so you at least have the option to touch it up when it gets chipped.

though now that i think about it im pretty sure all alloys can be anodized, doesnt it just change how well it will work and the shade of the color?

·
Just Pissing in the wind.
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm ok I could prolly do paint on the bolts. I just wished that it held up better. The guy told me that different alloys react differently and the shades won't be the same. I'm really wondering what the best route is for the fork tubes

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
for tubes you could paint easily. powder would be a lot harder having to take the parts apart. but you would also have to take them apart for anodizing. you could always make fork shrouds and paint, powder, ano, or any other type of coating youd like.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Powdercoating has the upswing of being relatively cheap and you can do it at home. For small parts (that can fit in a cheap craigslist oven), it's easier to get better results than painting provided you do the prep work, spraying is almost foolproof. But as said for "wear" items like pegs it will wear off before too long. You can extend this if after you powdercoat and cure, you use a hardened clearcoat. You can buy this stuff called SprayMax 2K, it's a 2 part rattle can. You pop a peg in the bottom to mix the hardener in, then it's good for like 8 hours. It's far more durable than regular acrylic clear and gives a high gloss.

There's also this stuff called plasti-dip that comes either in spray cans or tubs. It's kind of like paint but dries to a somewhat rubbery, textured surface, a little like truck bed liner. Comes in a few colors, and if you decide you don't like it, you can just peel it off.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Youre gonna have one hell of a time trying to fit fork tubes in an oven without them touching a wall or an element. If youve got the money, get them anodized. Its about the most durable finish you can put on fork tubes. Even powdercoating is going to chip and you cant just touch that up with a little bit of powdercoat. The WHOLE thing has to be done all over again. If you're broke, just paint em and try your best not to fuck up the finish. Expect to paint them again before too long.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
There's also this stuff called plasti-dip that comes either in spray cans or tubs. It's kind of like paint but dries to a somewhat rubbery, textured surface, a little like truck bed liner. Comes in a few colors, and if you decide you don't like it, you can just peel it off.

Do NOT plast dip your forks man. Thats a terrible idea. That shits used to recoat hand tool handles and shit. IT's literally made to give hand held objects grip. It adds a LOT of material(10,000th at least) to an object and that means a lot of headlight fork tube clamps wont fit and if they do its because you ruined your new plastidip finish.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I meant for smaller parts. Even painting forks can add enough material you have to stuff them into the tree and instantly scratch the finish. Honestly I wouldn't recommend any coloring for forks beside anodizing and that's bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts