Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Administrator
VS Support Staff
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Beside the obvious issue with posting photos from Flickr (that seams like it won't be resolved), there are numerous other details that I think made the old format have the right "personality" for our community that now seam to be gone. I think others have mentioned the ability to high-five or FU in response to a post. Now we only have a "like" icon. WTF? I can get that on Facebook. Next, all of the emoji icons are super generic. Have the CF specific emojis now been lost? And what about awards/trophies and other icons that would normally appear under each user name? I was proud to have won several knuckles from FOM, but those seam to be gone now. This new format is several steps in the wrong direction. If its a cost issue, I'll be the first to offer some cash if we can return to the old format. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the fucking pop-up adds that are so large the forum text is reduced (at least on my monitor) to one long column of single character wide text. Fuck this! Can we go back to the old format?
There is no way to revert the community to the old format, however, we do have a new card view coming out shortly.

You can read more about the reasoning behind switching to the new format HERE as the old software was at the end of the life cycle.

If you get the pop-up again please grab as much of this info as you can as it is needed to report and block them and report in the thread above.

Requested info:
Description of the issue, including frequency
Date and time (including timezone) when it occurred
Platform, OS, and browser
Geographical location of user (city, state, country)
IP address of user
Advertiser URL (if you click on the ad, where does it go?)
Information on the ad call (when you inspect the ad, who is it coming from)? - a screenshot of the elements code should suffice

Jeff M

·
Administrator
VS Support Staff
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, most of what I used most and a ton of quality of life features are gone. Can't see most recently updated/posted thread under forum headings anymore, don't know where chat went, posting is more complicated and more irritating, information that IS still provided has been moved around. Can't figure out how to easily post image links without putting in tags manually either. I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface here - I've only even tried to post a couple of replies since this went live.

And the rep system, the unique CF emojis, the knucks for FOTM/Y winners, titles and stuff that really made this place feel like a unique community with its own traditions and conventions - I feel like you broke into the local diner I've been having breakfast at since I was a kid and turned it into a Starbucks.

I'm kinda assuming this is gonna be the beginning of the end-most part of the end of CF; it's been waning over the last couple of years and this big bump in the road is gonna kick loose a bunch of the remaining people, I fear, particularly the older members - who I might remind everyone are the vast majority of the depth of this place's knowledge base and a massive part of what draws people here in the first place.
Understood, but this is not the software's final form.

We will be working on expanding Trophies and a new Rep system with future releases that will add some more personality back.

Unfortunately, the old software was riddled with security and performance issues so it had to be put to bed.

Jeff M

·
Mr. Good Kat
291 Posts
I haven't read the previous replies, but the following behavior is occuring: when I try to access CF, a captcha check appears. After completing the captcha check, I get a bad request error message. Then I need to reload the page to access CF. This happens EVERY TIME after I open the browser and access the CF forum.

P.S. - I am using the phone mainly, so might be mobile related.

·
Administrator
VS Support Staff
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I haven't read the previous replies, but the following behavior is occuring: when I try to access CF, a captcha check appears. After completing the captcha check, I get a bad request error message. Then I need to reload the page to access CF. This happens EVERY TIME after I open the browser and access the CF forum.

P.S. - I am using the phone mainly, so might be mobile related.
Have you already tried clearing your mobile browser cache?

- Cricket

·
BLACK BELT
6,920 Posts
I'm also experiencing all the same problems that have already been posted, except my pics are still intact.

Not looking for an explanation, just a yes, or no. Will our custom icons be returned, or are they gone for good? I looked at the Fallen Fighters forum and almost cried when I saw Gavins and MadMadams (and all the other) icons are gone. Also, every custom Icon I ever posted is gone from all my threads.

I've got well over 1,000,000 views of my project threads on this site, so maybe I have a clue. For now, I predict these changes are going to kill this site forever.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,352 Posts
I spoke to Cricket at Vertical Scope on Friday. She was very interested in hearing my concerns and was upfront with her responses. I'll be honest, I did not expect that from VS. I have never spoken to anyone at VS before and always had a hard time communicating with the different people who pop in and use the VS username. The original person assigned to our forum, Helena, has seemed to have disappeared and could have probably given VS some vital information regarding what really matters to us. Thus the update was somewhat tone deaf. Coming from a background in business and finance I expected VS to be more hands on with growing the user base and thus their investment in CF when they bought it, but that did not seem to be the case. It sounds like they rely on the moderators and admins to grow the site.

Anyway, back to my conversation with Cricket. All 700+ of their sites are running this new platform. All sites have the same general format and features. They are doing this so they can update/maintain them equally. So if there is a security or function update needed they can write the code and update all sites with one click overnight. They have given all users unlimited picture hosting size limit that should support even the newest phones and the software will auto resize if the image turns out to be too large. Their sites now use "standard UTF-8" which is the same as cell phone text messages use so our custom smilies are gone forever. The rep system as we knew it is gone. It sounds like there may be a substitute, but I don't know if it will have the ability to comment. The FUs are gone. The chat is gone. It sounds like some form of trophies will return, but I have no idea what that will look like.

Cricket spent a good bit of time walking me through some of the features and image uploading ease. The site seems much easier to use, but is much more generic than what we are used to. She mentioned that their metrics show a bump in activity after 60 days or so due to better Google search results and users getting used to the new feel.

The old site was awesome because it was so different than anything else, but there is no chance of bringing it back. I'm not happy about it either, but it is what we have. In then end, we are at their mercy to provide us with a forum to meet and BS about bikes that is free to use.

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
Update on images @make that thing forkless

They are still there is it just the rewrite structure from VB to XF is not as tolerant of initial errors in the embedding from Flickr. We don't do rewrites for Flickr, if you change the URL structure it would be on them to support it. You can go back and edit those links and they should show after you do the following.

This is what the new software is trying to use, but it can't figure it out.

Code:
[IMG]http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gueZ1s][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48233634182_d961ba08af_b.jpg[/IMG][/url]20190704 RZ350 frame assembly 2019 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG]
If you remove the first part and the last it’ll display correctly.
Code:
 [IMG]http://  and [/IMG]
Jeff M

I'm no longer seeing anything like that in my past posts. Maybe you can see the complete code, but I just see something like this... [/url]20201023_085432 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG] So how do I edit these past image codes so that they will re-appear?

·
forks and valves... WTF?
671 Posts
For now, I predict these changes are going to kill this site forever.
I've got one foot out the door. If they can't come up with a way to get my past pictures to re-appear, I'm gone.

More specifically, I've currently got a UK magazine interested in doing articles on two of my moto projects. I've pointed them to this site for background information on the build process... but it just makes me look bad because now all of my past posts are jacked up. Super frustrating.

·
Mr. Good Kat
291 Posts
The thing is...if this forum was bought (i don't know the history behind this interface change) thinking @ revenues, probably it was a bad idea to buy it and update it in the first place, since gathering users for this kind of platform is VERY difficult.

Findind people passionate about bikes that are trying their best to build them and then post the results of their work is totally different than a generic forum where people are just trash talking.

Sure, we do trash talking here also, but everything revolves around bikes and friendships created between the forum members. Even tho I'm usually silent and post only on some threads, I sure do read the forum a lot. It felt like 'the internet home'.

·
Administrator
VS Support Staff
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I'm no longer seeing anything like that in my past posts. Maybe you can see the complete code, but I just see something like this... [/url]20201023_085432 by andbike, on Flickr[/IMG] So how do I edit these past image codes so that they will re-appear?
I can help you with how to fix these if you wish.

To me, the easiest option would be to click the link (the image appears in a new window) then right-click to copy the image, then paste it where it belongs in the post. You can also simply replace the line with the share link provided by Flickr. Example below.

https://flic.kr/p/2jZzDJT
- Cricket

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
Well.... that sucks balls.

·
Angry Northerner
319 Posts
I really wasn't sure about the new look of the updated site when I first saw it. 😳🤮 Having said that I do realise that I'm a creature of habit and I do not like change!! 😣 (I suspect there are quite a few like me too 😬). It's not the first time a forum I really like has had massive changes applied and each time I've seen it happen, there's always been the same reaction: "What the fuck have you done to it?! It was perfectly fine before you fucked it up!" etc etc.

To begin with I did wonder how I could put up with this new version but having spent a little while skiving at work doing some research on the forum I've realised it's just gonna take a little bit of getting used to. It's not the same old comfortable pair of slippers it used to be, and I probably haven't been as inconvenienced as others have been with shit loads of images being screwed up, but it's still essentially CF. There's still the same shit-load of useful information, helpful people and eons of knowledge in here (not to mention the piss taking fuckers! 😄) so I hope that the changes will be accepted in time without anyone (or as few people as possible) leaving altogether. 🙏 I'm not going anywhere else for my SF fix.

I may not have a mega post count, or have been a member for anywhere near as long as some, but I'd hate to see CF go down the shitter because it's changed. Fingers crossed these new slippers will break-in soon enough and the big changes will become a distant memory, as they have on other forums I mentioned.

Just a thought, does anyone have a copy of the images of all the old custom smilies etc. anywhere? If so, could they be hosted some place (Imgur?) so that those images can be linked to? 🤷‍♂️

Just my 2p worth.

·
UnicycleMode
7,562 Posts
I'm kinda assuming this is gonna be the beginning of the end-most part of the end of CF; it's been waning over the last couple of years and this big bump in the road is gonna kick loose a bunch of the remaining people, I fear, particularly the older members - who I might remind everyone are the vast majority of the depth of this place's knowledge base and a massive part of what draws people here in the first place.

I seriously feel that is how it's going to go. I'm embarking on a horrifying legal battle over my son's well being, my dog is maybe a few months out from needing to cross the bridge to whatever is next, despite being the best damn dog I've ever had, he's not going to live forever. My girlfriend is facing medical issues that could spell the end for her in less than 5 years. I'm still chipping away at my house to get it on the market in the spring. I... just... I just don't give a shit for the new layout. I am not a forum person, CF became home 11 years ago as I was recovering from a high speed crash that should very well have ended my dedication and love for motorcycles. But.... I found this place....

I've found a band of brothers here that saw to it that my projects had all the right parts, that I was using the right techniques for what I was doing... and in exchange, for this amazing communities camaraderie, I gave back everything I could, from truck loads of free parts, screamin' deals on decent stuff, always a warm bed, hot coffee, a decent meal, and a cold beer to ANY MEMBER, and plenty took me up on the offer, to a point I've hosted more than I recall off the top of my head. From Ben's work at Extreme Creations in Australia, to the amazing home brew bikes of local and across the country, I've gotten to poke around some of the most amazing machines on the god damn planet! My seemingly infinite wisdom and knowledge of Japanese motorcycles built from '72-'98 provided me the nickname "encyclopedia-de-rattica" at one point. I've never kept a secret to myself when it came to tuning carbs, or where to find a vaguely described, hard to find part.

My 8,000+ posts were all meaningful or fun (many of them filled with a plethora of highly valued information), the millions of views my threads and builds have generated felt surreal to have such a reach, and those FOTM knucks under my name with maxed out rep... it meant, to me, that I was valued and had earned my reputation as a full on motorcycle junkie, both on, and off the bike. Regarded as a hooligan proper, Custom Fighters was home for a lone man, working passionately to create dreams from boxes of parts. This place, after all it has been through, may never be home again after so many changes.

I'll stick around as long as I can, but I'm unsure I'm going to ever put in the effort I did before. Looks like the blog is gone too? All the emoji's that made this place so great, especially when a member was regarded high enough to have an emoji of their own... or when a fallen one was kept alive in spirit through a candle burning bright for them until the end of time. I'm rather sad this is how it had to be, but time stops for no man.

Looking for the blog, I found this. It has been fun, guys, sad to see it go like it is.

2.jpg

21 - 40 of 66 Posts