Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
YOUR A TOWEL
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is the deal, i'm looking to put a buell front end on a sv650.

i also found this if i can remember is that the same parts as the gixxer,that svrider us on the front end change? if so it should fit in the gixxer triple tree's right?

The Buell Zero Torsional Load (ZTL) front brake system feeds braking forces from a six-piston caliper through a 375mm inside-out rotor mounted near the wheel rim to virtually eliminate torsional loads to the front wheel. This permits the use of a lightweight, six-spoke cast aluminium wheel that significantly reduces unsprung weight and steering inertia. The front end is suspended by a fully adjustable 43mm Showa inverted fork

what do you guys think about. if you seen pic let me know where?

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Is that gonna be a better set up than a gixxer front ??

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
hrmmm...wonder if u'd be able to use the buell front rim with some gixxa 50mm forks??

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
well, scrapyard is doing a buell front wheel and brakes on a gixxer front end. I will be making the bracketry for it. I'm sure scrapyard will post pics when its on.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
That was the original plan. I'm now using RC51 Showa forks. This is gona be a little more and less involved.

The Buell wheel fits perfectly into the SRAD, TL, Busa front ends. No whell spacers needed. The brackets for the brake caliper is totally wrong though.

The RC51 uses a smaller diameter axel, so now I have to get different wheel bearings and probably make a new axel. The reason I decided to swap forks is the RC forks have a removable caliper mount. This just makes it look cleaner as I wont have a bracket mounted to a bracket and I can leave the unused side empty. Also make Flints job a little easier when he makes the bracket for me.

·
YOUR A TOWEL
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool post pics when it done Scrapyard. i like the buell braking system. i rode a xb12 lighting and the brakes were better the then the gixxer. do you think the buell rear wheel will fit on a sv or any other bike?

ken

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Any reason you couldn't just flip the Buell wheel around? Tires are directional, but I don't think rims are.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
I was thinking that also. But thought there must be a reason you can't since it seems so logical.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I was thinking that also. But thought there must be a reason you can't since it seems so logical.
Switch wheel around......take off belt pulley, replace with chain sprocket, use rear caliper and hanger from Buell.....only thing that may be an issue is axle/bearing size, and that can always be corrected easily. :knucks:

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Brake caliper mounting would be backwards if you put it on the other side, unless you flipped it from top to bottom (or vice versa) which may or maynot work. Even still, you could get a new bracket machined and use whatever caliper you wanted.

I'd like to see someone go for it, it would definitely not be the easiest wheel swap :)

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Well, no one said you had to use the Buell caliper. It probablly wouldn't be too hard. My concern would be chain alinement. I know someone makes a chain drive conversion for it, but lord knows how close or far it is mounted to the rim. So that might be a concern where custom spacers may come into play.

The front wheel on the other hand can not be fliped around. I tried that one to see if I could run the rotor on the left side so you could see more of the wheel. Unfortunatly, the way the caliper mounts it rides inboard of the rim. The spokes on the front wheel are actually curved to clear the caliper.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
As far as making spacers..its not all that hard. I have been making some spacers for some other applications recently...yes, some new DZC products, and once I learned a few basics, I was banging them out.

DZ tip of the day...6061 aluminum, when turned from 25 mm to 23 mm, does get hot enough to burn one's fingers. :mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts