Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Misfit
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cross posting this, cuz I thought you might get a chuckle out of a conversation I had last week. I was talking to the laser operator about cutting my turbo flanges, and a shop helper, nice young guy, is looking over our shoulders as I was showing some pics on my phone. We start talking about my various projects and my general indecisiveness on some issues. I joked at the picture I have of the three turbos sitting on the bench asking him if he thought a biturbo or twin would be better and he asked if I was going to use all of them at once. I said, “what, like compound turbo?”. He asked what that was, I gave him a simple example and you could see his face light up like he just solved world peace. I don’t think he fully understands internal combustion, or physics, or probably gravity. As I said, nice kid.

He proceeds to tell me how we should daisy chain a bunch of turbos, inlet to outlet and let them power each other, and...and...use that unlimited power to drive generators...and and. I tried for a minute to inject reality, but he looked so pleased, so I let him go off and have the rest of the shop rain on his dreams.

I can be a dick sometimes.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
I remember as a kid riding cross country in my dad's van; it had big removable bubble sunroofs and a platform bed on the back, so I'd stand on the bed with my torso out the roof.

I got to wondering why you couldn't put a windmill on the roof and use that to power the car. I don't think I ever mentioned the idea to my dad, and school musta sorted me out somewhere along the line.

Then THIS shit comes along.... yeah, I know, its an unusual example pulling energy from the wind, not its own motions, but it fucks with your head pretty good.

https://www.wired.com/2010/08/ddwfttw/

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
Cross posting this, cuz I thought you might get a chuckle out of a conversation I had last week. I was talking to the laser operator about cutting my turbo flanges, and a shop helper, nice young guy, is looking over our shoulders as I was showing some pics on my phone. We start talking about my various projects and my general indecisiveness on some issues. I joked at the picture I have of the three turbos sitting on the bench asking him if he thought a biturbo or twin would be better and he asked if I was going to use all of them at once. I said, “what, like compound turbo?”. He asked what that was, I gave him a simple example and you could see his face light up like he just solved world peace. I don’t think he fully understands internal combustion, or physics, or probably gravity. As I said, nice kid.

He proceeds to tell me how we should daisy chain a bunch of turbos, inlet to outlet and let them power each other, and...and...use that unlimited power to drive generators...and and. I tried for a minute to inject reality, but he looked so pleased, so I let him go off and have the rest of the shop rain on his dreams.

I can be a dick sometimes.
As can all of us :D

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
It could sorta work, if you loop a fuel burn in. Pressure to run the turbo doesn't need to come from an internal combustion engine. People build home brew jet engines from truck turbos. Is pretty much a normal turbo jet, just with the burner external to the compressor / extractor. Very much not perpetual motion - the efficiency / thrust kinda sucks.

What gets me about the perpetual motion folks.... I always wonder how they figure they aren't building bombs. Like, you've somehow achieved over 100% efficiency.... but not the 100,000,000% that would result in the thing blowing up? No, its always something easy to deal with, like 150% or so...

·
Misfit
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn’t really sure he considered adding fuel to his Möbius strip of turbos, once he got it started. When he was explaining his discovery to me, I got the impression he thought there was a way to capture more than 100% of the energy, I mean, it is a power adder, really right?

Now, when I was a very small boy, I thought planes flew by getting up in the air and the Earth rotated underneath. First kid I told asked how would you turn, dummy?

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
I wonder what the lag on a system like that would be, provided it actually would add any boost at the end...

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Möbius strip of turbos .... it is a power adder, really right?
LOL, great description. Yeah, that was the impression I got from your description too. It's just kinda cool that you actually CAN create some power with just a turbo (and static fuel burner)!

·
UnicycleMode
7,563 Posts
That's awesome. Reminded me of the time my Dad had a brilliant idea on how to build a hotrod motor without having to spend money on a cam - just use taller lifters.

Yeah, my wrenching wasn't inherited.

That made me laugh out loud. Stories like that are what turning a wrench is all about. :D

·
Misfit
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love it when the actual combustion engine is only a small, supporting, bit player in a huge orchestra.

Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...

·
Breaking shit...
3,205 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts