Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says Im considering making a fighter of my bike. Im gonna level with you guys Ive dropped her a couple times. Im tired of getting new plastics and I still havent checked on getting them repaired. Now Im at the cross roads. Part of me says go with peer pressure and get the plastics fixed and look like all the other bikes in the area. Or go and do something a lil different and make the my own.

Right now Im leaning in the direction of making my baby into a fighter. This is the big problems that Im looking at. First she is my only means of transportation so any projects I take up with her need to be finished in 2 maybe 3 days max. Second and I think most important is I havent worked on any bikes before. I know my way around a car. I can get a piece of crap to run to the parts store so I can fix it. But Im not a fabricator of any means.

Right now what Im looking at doing is stripping all the plastics off of my baby and blacking out the frame. Thinking about doing a really nice rattle can job but Im afraid of over spray getting all over the place. I know how to tape a car off for paint its not a major issue. What is tho is wiring up a new headlight for my baby.

So my question to you gentleman is this: Am I crazy? Do you think it can be done with out sacrificing a arm and a leg?

My simple request is this does anyone have any pics of any ZZR/98-02 ZX6 fighters? Could you please post them if you do?

Thanks for the input!

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,147 Posts
Endo on this site has a on going build, your bike isnt the pretiest machine naked, but it can be done, best of luck

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Man I was in the same boat as you when I got started into fighters. No bike know-how at all, scared to dive in and tear a bike down. But honestly, the more you do it the more confident you get that you can do more.

You're not crazy at all. Most of the guys here are building their bikes on a shoestring with minimal tools at best. Heck all I have is a parking lot to work on my bike in, and a hot water heater closet to store my tools in!

Heres a pic of my bike, check out the garage section and look for my name, thers a few more pics there. Mines an 05 ZZR, or was...:D

a tip on painting, just use tape and garbage bags to block off what you don't want sprayed. Maybe kinda ghetto, but hey, we're the unofficial GBBA here, Ghetto Bike Builders Association:LolLolLolLol:

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Now for the first problem. Im looking for headlights. Im thinking stripping my girl down and getting her some new headlights would be a great starting point. This is thing Im not finding any US sites for headlights. Any links would be great.

·
410 Posts
Here's another one for ideas...mine is in the beginning stages of the build. I used to 4" 55W driving lights for my headlights...works great and I can see every bit as good as the stockers! They cost me $10, so that was a plus. I have been busy selling everything not going into the build on e-bay, then when I have enough, I buy more crap for mine!! I probably have less than $300 in my whole build so far...granted I haven't done that much, but the cage cost $200!!

The last pic is before I started to get serious...and my bike is all ghetto-licious!!:cool-smiley-030:

Attachments

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Buy any headlights that are HEADLIGHTS or at the very least DRIVING LIGHTS, absolutely no FOG LIGHTS because FOG LIGHTS don't work as HEADLIGHTS.

You'll probably have to make mounts unless you want to spend $$$ on ones that come with their own fork mounts (which is serious $$$)

You can use rubber straps as long as the rubber is thick and strong, you can also use big-ass hoseclamps or zipties.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haelo your a man after my own heart bringing up the zip ties. Ill prolly go that route or maybe with the hoseclamps. The bad thing about living in hawaii is not being able to find many fabricators.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
dude, every propper streetfighter in the world has at least a few zip ties on it.

rip the plastic off and ride her naked. lol.

in fact I'll be a nice guy and offer to help you fighter that bike. all you gotta do is fly me out there and give me a place to stay.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
ZZR808 said:
The bad thing about living in hawaii is not being able to find many fabricators.

thats why we're all fabbers or fabbers in trainging at least. just gotta have a bike your building to learn!
:metal:

·
Hawk GT's are Cool
1,482 Posts
ZZR808 said:
Haelo your a man after my own heart bringing up the zip ties. Ill prolly go that route or maybe with the hoseclamps. The bad thing about living in hawaii is not being able to find many fabricators.
Im in hawaii for another year and a half, I either made my own, and bought stuff else where, you can do it!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I used 1/4" zip ties on my headlight because the rubber straps were too big for my forks. I cut off the excess and rotated the ties around. It looks really clean. A bonus of the large zip-ties is that they can be reused.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys I need to get over to the local shop and start pricing out a couple things like my headlight and a few odds and ends. I also found out about a local Harley builder so Im prolly gonna give him a call and see what kind of fab work he does.

As for flying people over to work on the bike....Id consider it but the weed cloud in my living room might be a turn off to some. (My roommate is a Rastafarian) Besides it sucks have sun all year around and women running around in bikinis...really how many hotties can you look at till it gets boring. (By the way if you take the preceeding as a serious tone you need some brain work done.)

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
if your buying parts....see if you can find them online unless you get a KILLER discount..your getting ripped off.

we're more than happy to help people find stuff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts