Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
281 - 284 of 284 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Since the majority of the painted parts are already mounted, I continued with the seat cushions. The base for the rear seat:

View attachment 154260 View attachment 154261

first "hollow out" a little for the carrier plate:

View attachment 154262

First of all it fits........

View attachment 154265

......................and now grind, carve, grind, carve, grind, grind,grind.

View attachment 154266
View attachment 154268
View attachment 154269 View attachment 154270

The driver's seat was already partially finished.
Nice work, looks realy good, how did you manage to recess the foam to accept the plate ? I struggle to get an even / flat surface when I'm working with foam.

· Registered
600er Bandit mit 1052 ccm GSXR Motor
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
It all looks very easy, but it isn't. I have different machines for editing. An angle grinder (but this must have a speed reduction) A disc sander and very importantly a Dremel. And for the outside and all the contours and curves, it's still the good old hand work.

Automotive design Composite material Font Auto part Cleanliness

I take something like that for the outside. Coarse with 120 grit and fine with 240 grit sandpaper. And only ever move the sanding pad in one direction. You can't go back and forth because you just hop around on the cellular rubber.

· Registered
246 Posts
It all looks very easy, but it isn't. I have different machines for editing. An angle grinder (but this must have a speed reduction) A disc sander and very importantly a Dremel. And for the outside and all the contours and curves, it's still the good old hand work.

View attachment 154321

I take something like that for the outside. Coarse with 120 grit and fine with 240 grit sandpaper. And only ever move the sanding pad in one direction. You can't go back and forth because you just hop around on the cellular rubber.
It doesnt look easy at all - which is why I ask!!!
I've been using a combination of a small angle grinder with an old / worn flap disc (which can be terrifying and destructive if it "grabs" the foam), a small belt sander, a disk sander, and an orbital sander with a 60 grit can be useful, but I'm still impressed with how flat and even ypur results are. Only going in one direction is a good point. Was the angle grinder with a speed reduction designed for polishing? I've never seen a grinder with a slow speed ? as normally the cutting function relies on the speed of the disk...

· Registered
600er Bandit mit 1052 ccm GSXR Motor
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
You can forget the orbital sander. It passes the vibrations on to the foam without getting a clean result. Almost every supplier has speed-controlled angle grinders in their range and they don't cost much anymore. Disadvantage: when the speed drops, the power is lost and the disc stops. I like to use the angle grinder for rough work and I prefer to work out the rest by hand. That's where you can "mess up" the least.

281 - 284 of 284 Posts