Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. finding a good shock for my buddies buell has become a pain in the ass. harley does not make them anymore. they said they were discontinued. having it rebuilt looks to be pretty expensive. buying a used one is just as expensive and will most likely need a rebuild anyways. anyone know what my options are? i dont mind welding on the frame and such but the swingarm is alloy so we would need that to be outsourced. what do you guys think?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
They are out there, "wilber's suspension". I don't know if they are around anymore but there are a few that make expensive alternatives. But this is how the are setup on the bike.

This guy on ebay is a tube frame buell grave yard, I was able to buy a new 14" updated showa from him a few years back. I can't remember what I paid though, it was part of the whole rearend package I bought for the shit on my sportster.

He will respond quick though so you guys could ask him.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/davidjayuden

You could also switch to a buell XB shock and swingarm, the oil tank is in the swingarm on those models so it would move that out of the way for the top mount of the shock. Nice part is there is no linkage on the xb shock so that helps. Then there is the mater of the belt tensioner, you'd have to work something up to make the xb's pulley type tensioner work on that bike.

Custom build but a good reference to what I'm talking about, the shock and swinger and the little tensioner wheel for the belt (right above the end of the muffler) is all in there...

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,526 Posts
Conversion sounds like it could get to be a spendy project- are you sure it would ave over a rebuild? Those pull shocks are kinda neat kit, not sure I'd wanna give that up.

If you do want to save money, keeping it simple seems the way to go. How about something like this, that doesn't need to mount the rear end of the shock to the frame, and only requires a new pivot location at the front? Could probably build it up from some standard linkage bits with minor machining for the connecting bars.
(Yeah, I drew the shock way to small / short, but it should show the basic geometry that I'm thinking of.)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.