Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Very Old NoObie
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the donor bike that CookieJnr has blackmailed me into fightering. He goes home today after the Xmas visit, so there won't be much "build" progress on it, plenty of demolition, but little build for some time, wallet is a bit thin at the moment. :(

Here is the end result after 1 day of demolition.

I don't know where the bike was stored but everywhere is covered in dog hairs. :oops:

And what ever had happened to the alarm immobiliser the previous owner had just chopped random wires and left everything hanging, so that was first thing in the bin. :rock:

And the ebay stock of discarded parts is beginning to build up in the garage loft. :party-smiley:

CookieJnr taking up the fighter pose shows the potential of the bike.

And an ass shot for OldSarge

·
V four honda whore
12,426 Posts
i saw pics of that vfr and thought the same, then i saw sebs post. i still do remember there was some pics of that sweet looking 800

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Aaaaaand subbed.

Reactions: mcantar

·
Very Old NoObie
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys

This is going to hurt, not just me, but more so CookieJnr, but I am falling in love with the GTS1000. Everytime I take something off it reveals something special from the curved radiator.

I still haven't worked how to get it off the bike without completely dismantling the front end including the steering and suspension.

To the front single disk that runs central to the front wheel, so there is no sideways torque when braking.

To the rear hub which is a miracle of ali casting with vents and holes allowing Yamaha to control the very thin walls of the casting. look how thin that casting is. :excellent:

To the use of magnesium alloy for the gearbox covers.

To the vertical gas tank that has the main mass low down to aid handling.

It is no wonder that it cost so much when it was released in 1993 (about £10k), it has so much innovative development work on it I am surprised that it ever got past the management board at Yamaha and in to production. I am wavering on whether this is a CF project or a full rebuild. The head says "CHOP" as it will never be worth what you would spend on a rebuild and "REBUILD" as it is a rare example of what can be achieved if you start with a clean drawing board and unlimited funds and although a niche bike it is getting rarer.

CookieJnr is on the "CHOP" side and has offered to help with getting parts made, machining and welding, but I see GTS1000 projects such as http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49872&highlight=gts+1000&page=30 that never get finished and I can see this one being chopped and ending up with a pile of parts that are neither use nor ornament. I know this is a build thread, but any sympathy out there? :confused:

·
V four honda whore
12,426 Posts
Well, i say chop. You still have that beautiful vfr

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Rebuild threads are cool here anyways. But you're not likely to get that much whooping that you're going to rebuild a heavy, ugly throwback. PS, my VTR has a mag sprocket cover. Not special.

Resist the dark side. Use the force, Frank. If you strike it down it will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Do this:

Or this:

But with a better front wheel. So some folks find the front wheel hard. Most people say the same with the VFR / Triumph combo i have. That's why i did it.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Generally, I will vote chop. But I can't chop something unless it's in the name of improvement. If you can make something lighter or stronger, then modify it. If you're simply cutting up a good bike to have something to fiddle with and change the looks of, then I say find an old heap to wrench on.

Those are some pretty impressive components on that bike. I vote some tasteful chopping that doesn't permanently ruin what is a really nice platform.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
There's some truth in that, but the joy of fighters is making something new. I'm a painter too, and finishing something, stepping back from it and thinking, "that didn't exist before, though my hands and my brain, I made a new thing in this world" is beyond any rebuild of something already made by Yamaha is capable of doing.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
I love the GTS guts, post up a pic with the bare essentials in place and let us demented weirdos MS paint an Photochop it.

Reactions: GROUCH

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
There's some truth in that, but the joy of fighters is making something new. I'm a painter too, and finishing something, stepping back from it and thinking, "that didn't exist before, though my hands and my brain, I made a new thing in this world" is beyond any rebuild of something already made by Yamaha is capable of doing.
Also that, I've seen Yamaha's version, I'd rather see your version.
I could ride this:

Instead I ride this:

Reactions: Cookie2000ad

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Right, cosmetic changes are great, if you want a different look. But if Cookiedad starts ripping the s-arm and forks off his GTS.... meh...

My opinion being, swapping out his current s-arm for a vfr sssa " just because he can " don't seem right in this particular case. Or the typical "gixxer usds ,brah" ...it'd be a step backwards IMO.

But, I'm nattering again.... ;)

·
Very Old NoObie
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:yoda: Mmmmm Think me that to cut be the Force, little one.

I am coming round to doing radicals to the bodywork, but keeping the swinging rear fork and that lovely cast hub. I note that most of the GTS1000 modded bikes seem to have kept the tank and some of the plastic work over it melding it into a new front end.

I am stuggling to get an answer at the mo on whether it needs a NOVA (Notification of Vehicle acquisition) certificate as the bike was originally imported from Holland and the guy I bought it from didn't apply for one. On the Gov HMRC site it says a fine is levied of £5 per day from date of import if one isn't obtained so that may kill the project altogether and it gets sold as a pile of spares. :wtf:

1 - 20 of 115 Posts