Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 614 Posts

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm mostly there with the VTR fighter so my attention has turned back to my much abused daily ride a Ducati 750ss ie. It looks a bit like this:

Or like this depending on whether i have crashed / got engine problems / wiring problems recently:

It's got some upgrades already like 996 forks, alu swingarm, carbon bits, power commander, if you want to read some of that in my old old thread, it's here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48421

So, it's time for it to get a re-fresh..... and a big part of that turned up just a minute ago:

As you can see a little scruffy but apparenty running 900cc engine, with dry clutch and an extra gear over my 750 unit. Cleaning that up and getting stuck headers off will take a little work but i think i can make it pretty again. Needs new clutch plates too obvs.

I'm calling this "down the rabbit hole" because i really don't know where this is going to go. With the VTR i had a plan fully formed from day 1. Here i'm just going to work with what i've got and feel it out. Parts bought on the cheap may be added as they come in. Don't know if i will be keeping the fairing or going cafe. The problem is high bars and naked = basically a Monster and far from special, and SS cafes are getting pretty ubiquitous these days....

Edit Jan 2016. Screw that noise. Will hopefully be following the route of "Because racebike"

/EndEdit

Some things that might / will be going on are tucked away in my garage / under the desk at work:

Tasty 5 spokers:

Panigale forks:

Brembo Radials:

I have a 900 ecu and a stash of other parts in the corner of the garage (actually bigger now)

No, i don't think those SSSAs will be going on, i like the Alu swinger too much, sorry!

So, hopefully should make a trick little bike by the end, let's see where it ends up!

·
61 Posts
Re: Cookie's Duc ReDux - Down the Rabbit Hole

The 900 engine is in such a poor state and looks like you would need to put too many hours into it.. Is it worth it? Maybe you should just send it to me? I could trash it for you...

(I-need-a-900-so-bad!)

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts

Those Panigale forks are sexxxxxxxxy.
And that's an impressive parts pile, too.
I'll be watching this one.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

In like Flynn!

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The 900 engine is in such a poor state and looks like you would need to put too many hours into it.. Is it worth it? Maybe you should just send it to me? I could trash it for you...

(I-need-a-900-so-bad!)
At first i was like:

Then:

Subbered. I have no insight, imagination or useful input when it comes to modern bikes or what would look good on them. Just along for the ride....
It's a late 80s design tbh, and the SS has it's roots in the early 70's. It just changed it's clothes a few other bits in the last 30 years, it's still got an air cooled 2 valve noisy inefficient heart.

Those Panigale forks are sexxxxxxxxy.
And that's an impressive parts pile, too.
I'll be watching this one.
Thanks man, picked up for just £79 :D I'm still as skint as i've ever been but i've been sniping Duc parts for a couple of years now so i have lots of random bits. Engine was £250, which is about less than half price (of a fairly tidy one, which this ain't) over here. I'll be making do with what i have / can get / can make rather than big ticket items, same as usual.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Subbed... and let's see just how far the rabbit hole goes. Them 5 spokes are purty

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Jesus christ, Panigale forks for how much?! You'd be lucky to get those for under a grand, in rough condition here.
Same here when they are listed as such, but not when the description is:

"MARZOCCHI DUCATI FORKS
Made by Marzocchi, really light and very pretty

Forks are straight, unpitted and move in and out as they should.

More than that I cannot say as I get boxes of parts try to work out what they are from!"

Bike nerd skills actually being useful! Most stuff i buy including a lot of stuff on the VTR, i got for way less than people would expect. :D

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Some bits have come in today, another 900 ECU:

I've been shopping for these for donkeys and now have 2 within a month for great prices that i couldn't pass on. Hopefully at least one is in working condition, and i'm happy i should be able to shift the other if it turns out to be an also working spare to cover the cost of buying both!

A pair of 900 belt covers in good nick:

Pretty carbon or billet ones are beyond my wallet so i'll be doing some sort of cut away & dye job like i did for my 750 ones:

And a "Ducati Racing" Tacho:

These are usually pretty pricey, but this one is a bit scuffed and apparently doesn't work so i got it for a tenner. If that proves to be the case then i'll be breaking it open and using the dial in my existing tacho.

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I remember!

It's on page 47 (the oldest page, 6th from the bottom of the page!) of my subs. I was looking at it the other day. This 900 superlight arm i have now is really nice (when clean) and light so i am happy with it for now.

This arrived today (Glamour Shots!):

·
V four honda whore
12,296 Posts

do a semi faired bike... will follow this as well

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,352 Posts

My name is Mike, I'm a Ducati-a-holic. Please commence with helping me through my addiction.

:ducati:

I wish I could keep moto parts under my desk. My Rossi poster gets me weird enough looks as it is.

1 - 20 of 614 Posts