Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1117 Posts

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: 90% of the work on this bike was done for the Build-off, you might enjoy reading this more: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1444170#post1444170
/EndEdit

Finally! :D Got a VTR1000F to Fighter:

Immaculate plastics, Harris cans, original cans, belly pan and solo seat will all be nice little extras to sell on ebay and fund this build.

I want the engine, frame and controls, the rest will all also be sold.

We're going to be looking at SSSA, Triumph wheels, USD forks, dirty bars, underseat can, KTM 990 headlight, paint, geared high. I have a design in my head mostly worked out, i've been looking for this bike at the right price for 6 months!

Before anyone says it, yes i think i am keeping the side rads, that is a feature i actually like! They will be getting scoops / covers.

The guy tells me there is a hesitation in the fuelling when you get above 120mph. I will investigate and clean the carbs, it doesn't worry me and it ran smooth between his place and my folks.

You're going to have to bear with me, i don't actually have a garage at the moment and live in a 1 bed upstairs flat with my girlfriend so the bike is actually 300 miles away at my folks place. I will be buying, making and preparing parts over the next couple of months and hopefully it will all slot together like a lovely jigsaw when i get the bike in the spring. Some parts i've already got, i'll post them up real soon.

Sub for updates! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Finally in The Fookin Game! :D Got a VTR1000F to Fighter:

Immaculate plastics, Harris cans, original cans, belly pan and solo seat will all be nice little extras to sell on ebay and fund this build.

I want the engine, frame and controls, the rest will all also be sold.

We're going to be looking at SSSA, Triumph wheels, USD forks, dirty bars, underseat can, KTM 990 headlight, paint, geared high. I have a design in my head mostly worked out, i've been looking for this bike at the right price for 6 months!

Before anyone says it, yes i think i am keeping the side rads, that is a feature i actually like! They will be getting scoops / covers.

The guy tells me there is a hesitation in the fuelling when you get above 120mph. I will investigate and clean the carbs, it doesn't worry me and it ran smooth between his place and my folks.

You're going to have to bear with me, i don't actually have a garage at the moment and live in a 1 bed upstairs flat with my girlfriend so the bike is actually 300 miles away at my folks place. I will be buying, making and preparing parts over the next couple of months and hopefully it will all slot together like a lovely jigsaw when i get the bike in the spring. Some parts i've already got, i'll post them up real soon.

Sub for updates! :thumbsup:
Its about time you did something isnt it cookie?! ;) it appears we share the same living conditions! I had the engine of the vfr on the coffee table in the lounge for 2 months... that didnt go down well with the missus! good choice on the bike though mate i had a red 2001 vtr and it was a blast! theyre fuckin fun and handle well with a little work! once you've got a usd front end on it and something better at the back, all you have to worry about it ground clearance on the pegs (rearsets sort that!) and then you can throw it around like a bmx :D i have always been tempted to fighter one but never got round to it so will definitely be watching this one! and you're right the side mounted rads look shit hot :shocker:

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys.

Nice mate, massively underrated bike - there should be more firestorms on the road!
Agreed! They seem great and with the country falling out of love with Sports Bikes at the moment combined with a lack of "cult status" I got a pretty good deal on it. A bloke in the pub said he had one and i bought i pretty much blind. I didn't even ask what colour or the miles before i went to collect. :D

Its about time you did something isnt it cookie?! ;)
Yeah it was getting awkward, people were beginning to talk. :D

So i've been buying bits here and there. I have a VFR750 '92 available to me from my brothers old bike that we broke and sold. But i really want Trumpet split 5 spokes on the bike so it got this too:

955 Sprint arm. Took it apart and it cleaned up pretty well.

It was a whole £36 via ebay! Why so cheap? Well, the threads on the end of the cush drive side were crossed / squashed:

Nothing a couple of hours with a needle file and some D-ing W couldn't fix and it's all good!

There were some bits missing:

A bearing cap and washer from the sprocket side of the hub and the wheel nut.

As discussed here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62981&page=3 I am pleased to report that everything sprocket side is interchangeable with the VFR750 so i took that apart and nicked the bits. I've heard that a VFR800 arm goes in the VTR easier and got hold of one of those but unfortunately it turns out the '08 arm i got has a much larger hub clamp. I might look at fitting a 5mm sleeve and also narrowing it by 7mm to accept the 955 hub. Basically i have 3 arms and 2 sets of hubs to choose from, i'm sure i can work something out!

Got the wheels too, complete with discs (rotors)

Pretty.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
im looking into the hub swap for my vfr arm to use those wheels. 200 rear is nice and i love the split spoke. i may go for a buell front wheel though, if i can find one for a reasonable price but def set on the back wheel from a triumph.

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what i've found, if it is the early 750 arm it should slot straight in, measurements of my Triumph hub here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62981&page=3 if you want to check. All you would need is a bare spindle with the wheel nut, cone, washer and rotor plus the hub. Cush, sprocket and that whole side should be swappable from your VFR so you can save some dough.

The Buell 6 spoke would be a pretty good match!

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
From what i've found, if it is the early 750 arm it should slot straight in, measurements of my Triumph hub here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62981&page=3 if you want to check. All you would need is a bare spindle with the wheel nut, cone, washer and rotor plus the hub. Cush, sprocket and that whole side should be swappable.

The Buell 6 spoke would be a pretty good match!
i have the 95 arm. what other years triumph spindle and hub are the same as your 955?

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dunno for sure but i can tell you the part number for the hub is PFKL1202261

It looks like that is common across the Triple, Sprint GT and ST models. If you get a seller to measure it for you, you're looking for a dia of 105mm, depth of about 74mm as seen in that link above, but you can check by measuring your VFR hub (after all you want the same right).

Here is a list of part Nos: http://www.worldoftriumph.com/trium....php?block_01=&block_02=303425&block_03=16178

Happy hunting. :shocker:

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got some WP forks and triples. They are from a KTM Duke and a really nice gray-blue colour. I don't know for sure that they will get used but i hope so, anyway they were pretty hard to pass up for the price i got them at.

They were a little oxidised and dirty:

But i put some "Alloy Bright" on them and scrubbed with a toothbrush, they came up quite nice.

I popped off the dust seals and cleaned around the oil seals, everything seems good.

I also got my headlight:

It has the bulb loom too but fook knows what i'll end up using!

65mm caliper bolt spacing on the forks, so pretty spot-on for a set of later model non-radial Ducati Brembos... To Ebay!

·
Registered
510 Posts
curious to see how this turns out. subbed....

Reactions: Cookie2000ad

·
Administrator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got a can for a bargain!

The guy had it listed as "Scorpian" and didn't list the bike model so i was the only bidder. Then he messaged me to say he couldn't find the baffle and knocked some money off. Winning.

It's got to be from a underseat Blade / 600rr or a Daytona i guess, doesn't really matter to me. :D

On a side note, i "dropped" the Duc on the way to work today. I'm fine but it's a bit busted up. :jpshakehead.sml:

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,352 Posts
You are going balls out on this thing, I love the wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gunna have to request a sound clip of this one too ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 1117 Posts