Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not post in Winter Build-off threads! Discuss this thread here.

Hey folks, you might have caught my build so far: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63138

This is what it's looking like atm:

I'm going to be keeping the engine, frame and side rads. Everything else is to change. Already got my rear wheel sorted, i'm working on getting USDs fitted for the Triumph front wheel, new seat, raised bars, etc.

Some personal highlights so far:

Triumph hub fitted to VFR800 SSSA

Handmade rear hanger for a Brembo caliper:

Rear shock mount:

I live in a ridiculously small flat with a long-suffering girlfriend so had to rent a P.O.S. garage with no power, still, it made me very happy to have a work space again!:

Dated pics:

And with the bike and the pile of parts.

Only being able to work on weekends in an unlit, unheated garage through winter is going to make this a challenge but i'm determined to try and get done by the deadline.

Good luck to all the other entries too! :rock:

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was planning to go into work so I could use some power tools today and start carving something out of Alu but didn't get the chance. Should be able to get it done after work during the week. I've also got most of the stuff I need for the front end worked out and ordered, so between them both should have some cool updates next weekend!

I did get to the garage to make some tweaks to the rear suspention,

I changed my shock spring for a much more heavy weight spring as the stock spring from the MV F4 shock was being totally over-powered.

Beefy.

And I got my home-brew ride-height adjuster installed, from this:

To this:

Easy to install but left-hand screws are really weird, goes against nature I tells ye!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty! Well I got some time with the tools at work today. I'm very exited about this as it's a part I've been sitting on for a while! (Pun intended)

I'm going to skip out of work early tomorrow to get it fitted. Pics tomorrow, for now here's a teaser!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I came up with this design ages ago:

I also started working out my subframe using the spare frame I bought (that's going to come in handy for forks too I suspect). So I drew this:

No, it's not some juvenile toilet-stall scribbling, get your mind out of the gutter. It's a rough template for an adapter plate. It'll look better in Alu plate I promise. :D
That got made into this:

Which finally means I can fit my new subframe:

The seat itself is going to need some tweaking but I'm pretty happy with it!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The girlfriend has been away for a couple of days so I used the chance to finish getting my upper triple clamp ready for risers and painted (inside the apartment - ssshhh, don't tell her!)

I got these ZX9R fork clamps that had been drilled but not reinforced so I've tried to make them a bit tougher:

Also, my Renthal bars arrived today, cue much running around going BRRrrraaaaappPP!

I always planned on dirt bars but at the last minute I changed my mind to flat bars, I think it was a good choice, I like the feel. Looking forward to getting them on the bike and seeing how the riding position works out.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a bit of work done today:

Cleaned up my calipers (675 Daytona)

They're going to need new pads....

I've also changed my brake discs to 675 items too, from this:

To these wave ones:

They are 310mm radius rather than 320mm so I won't need risers for the calipers, also they have a couple of mm less stand-out:

Which lines up nicely for the fork spacing I get from my ZX9R triple clamps.

Made a new bearing spacer for the smaller dia axle and bearings from my Yami forks:

Sorted out my steering stops by drilling and tapping the frame for bolts and lock nuts:

Got my replacement steering stem bearings in too which means I could get this in before I called it a day:

Hopefully I can get wheels, calipers, controls all sorted in the next day or so!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Controls etc bolted to the bars, screws & bolts upgraded to stainless:

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spent most of yesterday cleaning and photographing parts to list on ebay as my "budget" for this build has just about run dry. Hopefully some of the OEM parts can start paying me back.

Got some work done today though! As I mentioned here:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75074&page=5

I'd re-looked at how i'd put together my VFR800 swingarm / Triumph Axle. As you can see here, I had to put a spacer inside the hub to shunt out the axle so that some of the bolts didn't catch on the edge of the Honda eccentric hub. I've now been able to take this off. I countersunk the bolt holes and used new flat headed bolts Which gives me the MkII spindle:

This gives the needed clearance:

Removing this spacer has quite a few benefits:

It means that the sprocket/cush can get onto more of the length of the teeth:

Also, previously I had to shim out the caliper with a pair of washers and the wheel was slightly off-centre to the right. This has now fixed both of these issues so i'm very happy.

While I had the wheel off I took the arm out and sorted out the routing of the rear brake line. I drilled out an existing hole:

And threaded a long braided line through:

The hole is a bit raggedy right now but I haven't decided on the finish for the arm yet, when I do i'll tidy that up too. Anyway, Bish-bash-bosh:

It looks like it's pulled tight in that picture, I really isn't.

Which all done, pretty much leaves the bike looking the same! But I know there have been some big improvements in the design so it's been a pretty satisfying day.

Next up will be thinking about where i'm going to be stashing battery, electrics etc. I had thought about putting pod filters on and using the airbox space but damn, this bike has a tiny airbox!

And it's got all sorts of junk in there..... So for now i'll be presuming most stuff will have to go under the seat. I'll start making templates out of cornflake boxes next weekend. I can't really afford to get any more materials until pay-day but when I do, heat reflective cloth, alu sheet and some pop-rivets should see the job done for the most part. Tune in next time for another exciting instalment of "Persuasion Engineering"!
:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bleg. I was a bit slow getting to the garage today since it was "the day after the night before". When I got there I mocked up the exhaust can:

And started making card panels for the underseat tray:

It doesn't look like much but it was a pretty slow process! I'll try and get it finished tomorrow so that I can get materials ordered.

I've been contemplating a Ballistic battery but I made a mock-up of the dimensions of a 12 cell and there really isn't much in it:

So i'll consider it but not sure at all...

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do not post in Winter Build-off threads! Discuss this thread here.

I didn't get any real work done today, I was wrapping up parts that i'd sold on ebay. Good news there is that I've made back more than half what I paid for the bike in the first place!

The other thing I've been considering is this exhaust. I didn't want to use the stock 675 can and shroud because it's just massive. But compared to the rest of the bike even this can looks large. I spent yesterday considering an underbelly can to keep that great shape of the seat unit. But I've always liked the under seat look, I know not everyone is a fan but i'm pretty set on it.

It's occurred to me that the bike will always struggle to look this good again as I put more stuff on it:

But I guess all things grow-up eventually. So here's some side shots (I have a track solo seat unit too btw, which will be on 90% of the time, I threw the seat up there to exaggerate the fat arse dilemma!)

Opinions I've gathered so far:

My Dad said:
Looks too brutal, needs to be more subtle.
My mate Chris said:
Keep it, it looks awesome up there.
My Girlfriend said:
First put the headlights on, it will balance out.
From those I will take the advice of all 3, I think i'm going to chop about a 3rd out if the length (there is a fitment bolt hole for a baffle if needed), keep it there and rely on the headlight and radiators w/ shrouds pulling some visual weight to the front.

So i'm going to keep making my underseat tray at home and after hours at work, next weekend I will be concentrating on mocking up headlight and dials I guess, hopefully that's going to change the visuals quite a lot. It's going to be based on the KTM Superduke 990 "figure 8" type headlight and shroud, I think it's going to look good.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the day off work today to get some work done. I made some temporary brackets to mount my clocks. I'd considered going digital with a Koso or similar but i'm from a generation that is always going to love analog, the Firestorm clocks are fairly compact so i'm going to be re-using them.

Then tried out the bike's new face. I'm pretty happy the clocks tuck right inside it nicely:

Slighty wonky mock-up with zip-ties etc, tossed a fender on just to see how spacing etc was working.

I think that works for me. As things progress I might look into cutting that triangle out between the "screen" part and the sweeping ridges at the bottom.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got some work done!

With cardboard. :thumbsup:

Underseat tray mock-up.

Thinking ahead I've left a channel for the mid-pipe:

Yeah, I live on store-brand cereal and frozen pizzas. I can't afford nutritious food and a build project.

I've taken a couple of days off work Thurs / Fri so i'll try it out for test fit then when I can get to the garage in daylight. I should have gotten my arse in gear ordering materials so I could get straight to work. Guess i'll have to find something else to half-start.
:doh:

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Test fitted the seat tray this afternoon. This is the curve that I was talking about here.

I'm actually going to make that more curved to allow more room for the exhaust can and also angle the back wall of the battery / misc area on the left more to make it more cosmetically pleasing. it might be a pain to do when I start making this out of metal but I think it will be worth it.

I was torn on the side panels as to whether to follow the full length or stop and leave the last triangle open:

I think i'm going to have to go full length to give more space for the battery and loads of other stuff the VTR had in the tail.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a few odds and ends done today. I've been replacing every bolt I've undone with stainless as I've gone along and was running a bit low so dropped into my local hardware store and filled up a bag with assorted sizes, love it there, they just heft the bag and pull a (really low) price out of the air!

Also I took delivery of an R6 carbon fender I got for a steal in an auction. Brand new:

Fork spacing has changed slightly thanks to the Kwak triples / Triumph wheel combo so some slight adaption will be needed.

The riv-nut fastening for the rear seat pad had been removed from the subframe for some reason, I spent ages considering buying a riv-nut tool to put a new one in but remembered some Dzus fasteners I had laying around, and sure enough, it works great:

And I also sketched out the mount for my clocks, it's also going to provide a backing for them too:

It's a squeeze on this piece of alu, but it should be fine. I'll try and get that shaped out and tabs bent over the weekend when I can use the workshop at work in peace.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Worked on the clock mounts or "buffalo" as it has been pointed out!

I spent some time shaping the leading edge to curve inside the clock housing

I tried to leave an even gap around it after first trying to match both curve and semi-circular cuts exactly and nearly losing my mind.

It might not be the most awesome piece of metalwork seen on CF but i'm pretty pleased with it.

It looks like it's off-set to the right but it's an optical illusion caused by the shape of the clock housing, the triple mounting points are in line with the outside edge of each of the main clocks. The mounting tabs are left half finished because I haven't test fitted it yet and there will be some persuasion to get it right i'm sure, they'll get neatened up and shaped after that. I just hope I didn't spend several hours making a piece of scrap today! Fingers crossed for that.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went and did some light DW to wind down for the holidays. My clock bracket fits fine, it will get painted before the build is done. I also got my front and rear carbon huggers fitted, both needed some adaptation. The rear hugger is of unknown origin but it definitely isn't VFR800, had to make some brackets (still need shaping and speed-holes) and drill & tap a fixing to the top of the swingarm.

Rear hugger looks snug but I've flexed it by hand and it doesn't contact the tyre. I really like the look of it.

That's it for a little while, i'm off to visit my folks for Christmas, so all that's left to say is:

Merry Christmas to all Custom Fighters!

Hope you all made Santa's "nice" list this year! :D

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been chopping up metal in the (now I see it on camera - damn messy) workshop at work, to make my under-tray. I'm about half way there. It won't remain bare alu...

Learning as I go, but it's looking alright. Still waiting on my new headlight, hopefully it'll get here by the weekend!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did some test-fitting of the under-seat tray on the actual bike today, it's in need of some tweaks, hopefully I should have that done before the end of the week.

I also made some more small changes to my swingarm setup, I changed the M10 based turnbuckle for a beefier M12 one:

I was able to do that by using these reducers:

And I re-used the smaller one to replace my stock caliper brace:

I also got my new headlight, it's from an RC8. I wanted this long and thin look rather than a side-by side or single light. I think it looks great from the front for sure:

But from side on it is too far forward:

I might have to re-visit my damn clock mounts to try and move it back an inch or two.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So as is being discussed here (including a great use of the term "gash" which I haven't heard since I moved from t'up North), I had to get to the garage to try moving the headlight. It was too dark to do any real work, but thanks to a christmas present from my folks I've got something approaching real light!

So this is the headlight when pulled back to a reasonable distance from the trips.

If you squint and imagine a shroud like on the MT03 headlight to fill in the gaps and cover the housing....

Much better I think.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts