Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol! Yeah, i'd thought about paraffin heaters but worried about gassing myself, could make for a psychedelic build!

I've got my eye on some of these:

They give 3 hours light.... apparently. But all say things like "With no heat!" in the sale blurb. Dammit! I want heat! :doh:

I'm going to have to just man-up I think. Winter build-off: Sorts the Men from the boys, right? :D

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to be making some more Alu plate creations tomorrow hopefully if I can drag myself into work on a Sunday to use the grinders. Should be fun, last time I did this my snot was black for a week. :D Got a mask this time.

Finally got the materials to make this:

I also started working out my subframe using the spare frame I bought (that's going to come in handy for forks too I suspect). So I drew this:

No, it's not some juvenile toilet-stall scribbling, get your mind out of the gutter. It's a rough template for an adapter plate. It'll look better in Alu plate I promise. :D

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, it's a concrete box I rent from the local council on a monthly basis, one of these:

Looks like this inside:

That said, I think Sideshow Bob has been building out of one of these for years, and has 2 FOTM out of it so maybe there's something to be said for it!

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Thats an awesome bike to start with. I dont have power where Im working either. Just moved into my Brothers house and were converting the old greenhouse into a shop. Gona be doing that at the same time as my build. So are you putting another SSSA on it or is that a pic in your build of whats already on it?

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you putting another SSSA on it or is that a pic in your build of whats already on it?
Cheers JJ, no, that was supposed to be a "highlight reel" of work already done. That said I was looking at a Triumph rear wheel spindle I keep in my desk draw at work (as you do) and I had a flash of inspiration for an improvement so I think i'm going to do a bit of re-design that whole Triumph-Honda arrangement to be a bit neater and tidier at some point.

·
2,779 Posts
Your right Cookie.....

I've been building outa one them concrete boxes for years.. For tips, read my book "Zen and the secret art of building shit in the cold and wet" you'll find dragging stuff inside is featured a lot. As is copious amounts of coffee, whining about the adverse conditions and minor bouts of concrete induced insanity

And, as a seasoned connoisseur of the garage, I couldn't help notice something in this pic of garage ecstasy....

.... Top of the right door pillar...... Is that a light?? Can you tap a power feed of it?

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For tips, read my book "Zen and the secret art of building shit in the cold and wet"
Ha, i think i spotted that book in Waterstones, have to remember to put it on my Christmas list to Santa.

.... Top of the right door pillar...... Is that a light?? Can you tap a power feed of it?
It is... it's actually something I checked before I accepted the garage number they issued, for that exact reason. But when it's come to the crunch I've chickened out from fear of frying myself! I've had the cover off the T-union that goes down to the light, there's no exposed joins in there that might make it easy.

·
2,779 Posts
Ha, i think i spotted that book in Waterstones, have to remember to put it on my Christmas list to Santa.
:LolLolLolLol: make sure you get the hardback......

That has the handy appendix "excuses to use when you don't get anything done for months" :rock:

But when it's come to the crunch I've chickened out from fear of frying myself!
That maybe wise.. Although it would be handy just to have light....
That was my biggest issue. Often just wanted to check stuff, measurement/fit etc, after work but without a decent light & my habit of abandoning sharp pointy objects in stupid places it was more dangerous than untrained electricity taiming

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Hey,
i love the bike, and i love the direction you are taking.

i just had one question. in your teaser picture... are you cutting aluminum with the angle grinder? the only reason i ask is for your safety. I know they make wheels designed for cutting aluminum, and that may be what you have, however, if not it can be very dangerous.

Because of the expansion co-efficient of aluminum and its soft nature, the material gets embedded in the porous grinding wheels, and when it gets hot, it expands and can make the wheels disintegrate violently. I had it happen to me and if i hadn't been wearing protective gear i would have gotten the whole exploding wheel to the face.

I may be way off the mark, but i figured i would at least mention it and maybe save your face or hands some damage. if i am mistaken, i am terribly sorry for the error, and please tell me to shove off.

Following your build with great interest!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Chris, thanks for the input, i'd definitely listen to any advice you have regards fabrication, you definitely have the authority on me!

I have been told this actually. When i made my rear caliper hanger i used an angle grinder to rough shape and then used my workplace's fixed grinding wheel machine to shape it angular. The next day i got a right bollocking as i'd clogged up the wheels with alu. As you said, the heat build-up can make them explode so it wasn't a case of re-dressing, they had to replace the wheels and it was a fairly expensive bill.

I've got boxes and boxes of angle grinder discs to dip into so i've been overly cautious in swapping them. As you can see in that pic there is some build up and that was sort of the max i allowed. I used a thin cutting disc to cut things out then lightly shaped things with a grinding wheel then smoothed with a sand-paper flap disc. That's as safe as i could manage. It probably isn't an option for folks without a unlimited free supply of discs but was a managed risk as far as i could.

Thanks for bringing it up, it could save someone from a nasty accident. On that note, gloves, eye, ear and face mask (the mask this time round - i neglected it the first time like an idiot) were also used. I was also using a large hosed extractor to suck up the finer alu dust. I'm hoping to get some pics up of what the hell i was making and what it was for this afternoon if the weather stays nice for the rest of the day.

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Looks like the warning was unnecessary. You seem to be doing really safe work, and thinking about how to best use the tools that you have. major kuddos to you! :)

looking forward to seeing what you were working on!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick question about that light. Is it a regular bulb and socket you can change out?
Great minds! I thought about this when I was there fitting my subframe and looked, it's not a normal type (screw / bayonet) it's something more like this:

But anyway, i'm not really that bothered atm, I just have to make sure I use the daylight on weekends well. I can DW either at the workshop at work or at my apartment if I really need powertools, but that'll only be a small percentage of the time, 99% of the time it's handtools anyway. My folks asked if there was anything I need for Christmas so one of those LED lamps from the previous page came up, that should help out.

REALLY looking forward to this weekend, I've gotten just about all my front end worked out. I'm going out to celebrate my birthday on Friday so i'm probably going to be wrestling a hangover, but it's gotta be done!

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks man, i'm really happy with them too.

This is the stuff i used on the triple:

I've not used it before but it was easy to use and seems really tough now it's dry.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts