Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting my srad streetfighter project and want to move the ugly coolant bottle and use something like the metal water bottles I've seen others use but struggling on how to fabricate this. Probably really simple but trying to find a tutorial on this is proving difficult. Any guidance would be great

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Welcome to CF.

This is probably going to make me sound like a dick, but hopefully it helps.
Hop on Google and look at pics of SRAD fighters and see what others have done to get ideas for a mounting point. Other than that there isn't much to it, just find a container you like and stick it on there. The only important thing with this is that your hose runs to the bottom of the container, and if you run it down through the top it helps if you cut the hose at an angle to keep it from suctioning to the bottom... the hose can be ran down through the top, or you can do it the stupid way like me and make it complicated with plumbing fittings and run the hose directly to the bottom of the container.
I've seen everything from $200 CNC'd aluminum bottles with windows and mounting brackets and internal lines with ports on the outside, to energy drink cans held on with zip ties with a hose ran down through the mouth. NOS bottles, flasks, Jeager bottles, it all works. Plastic, aluminum, glass, whatever, it really doesn't matter.
This is probably the easiest mod you'll do to the bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am looking at my 600 srad and was going to use a metal fuel/water bottle. But i was going to check the amount of coolent the stock one holds at min max and the hole bottle being full so i can fit a level window in to the side of it.

just take your bottle and hold it up to places on the bike and see if it can be fitted ie bolts in the right place ect .

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
You need two hoses.

Number one hose comes from your radiator and goes all the way to the bottom of your expansion reservoir. It has to go all the way to the bottom as it is a two way hose. The bottle is there to allow for extra space when the fluid expands upon heating, and the hose needs to be to the bottom because the system will suck some of the fluid back in once it cools down.

Number two hose is your overflow/breather hose. It doesn`t go anywhere, just dangles in air so the expansion bottle doesn`t build up pressure when fluid is being pushed in, and lets off excess if the coolant would for some reason boil.

The capacity of the expansion bottle is not that critical. Just make sure if you`re using a smaller bottle than the original reservoir, that in no case it gets sucked completely dry. The movement isn`t that big (or my reservoir isn`t working properly ;) )

As mcantar already said make a slash-cut to the end of the suction hose so it doesn`t stick to the bottom.

Reactions: mcantar

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Mattson, I have to respectfully disagree here. Only one hose is necessary, and that's the hose that connects the radiator to the overflow bottle itself. The overflow bottle DOES need to be vented in some way, i.e. not sealed... Urmy, this is so the coolant can expand and contract, if there's no way for air to replace the fluid in the bottle and vice versa, it will not function (similar to pouring from a fuel can without opening the little hole above the spout). This does not, however, require a separate hose. If he uses a beverage can, he can run the coolant hose to the bottom and the vent is created by the extra space in the mouth of the can. On mine, an aluminum Kleen Kanteen bottle that is otherwise sealed, I drilled a hole on the side of the bottle at the top.
The benefit to using a hose to vent is that you can route it to the bottom of the bike where your tank overflow hose is, and allow any coolant seeping out in case of an overfill or overheat scenario, but it is not necessary by any means.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Yea well... not absolutely necessary no. But any spillage will be everywhere if there's no breather hose so I oversimplified a little saying it's "necessary"... I suppose you could also replace the breather hose with a tiny crankkase breather air filter if thag suits your style. A metal mesh filter will let enough fluod through if you boil the engine. But if that happens I'd probly replace the filter to ensure proper ventilation.

Reactions: mcantar
1 - 9 of 9 Posts