Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question, but I searched and didn't find an answer so I'm going to ask it anyway. What temp does the coolant in the overflow bottle... actually the hose... generally reach under normal (not overheating) conditions?
I'd like to use clear hose on my Busa build, but the only "high-temp" stuff I can find locally is 3/8 ID that's only rated to 212F (had to go to a homebrew supply store, after checking auto parts, hardware, and plumbing supply stores).

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
there's no spec for overflow hose. typical operating temp can go up to 215 before the fan cuts on. now the resevoir is going to store unnecessary coolant and draw from the resevoir as needed. only puts it back into the canister if it has enough in the radiator.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm hoping that since the coolant in the overflow isn't directly circulating through the engine while it's in there, it'll stay a bit cooler. I'm gonna have to bring a laser thermometer from work and pull my fairing off and go for a ride when I get home.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
it should be fine inless the bikes running hot

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
check tha rubber hose that's alredy there ,youll find its flimsy as shite.Fer sure that clear hose ya found specd' at 200 ish woud be just fine.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I like Tygon hose (the greenish colored stuff) for this sort of thing. It's super flexible, available anywhere, and is much more chemical resistant than regular clear poly hose. It also doesn't harden like poly does after repeated heat cycling.

I'm not sure what it's temp spec is, but I've used it for coolant lines in the past without any issues.

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Fer sure that clear hose ya found specd' at 200 ish woud be just fine.

This ^

You can check the temperature with a laser thermometer (I love using mine on pretty much everything) and that would tell you what its at in the bottle, somewhere around 200 max, but it could be lower.

Information if you want it: The overflow bottle is an integral part of the cooling system and is in use pretty much the whole time your bike is running and after it shuts off. Getting up to temp, some coolant is expelled through the overflow tube and when the whole system is cooling down, the coolant is sucked up through the tube. This means a couple of things; The coolant tube must go to pretty much the bottom of the overflow bottle and the end must always be covered by coolant and there should be no leaks between the radiator cap and the bottom of the tube. Anything else any there will be air introduced into the cooling system

1 - 7 of 7 Posts