Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is Ducati 749s...

Trying to figure out where and how to relocate the coolant reservoir. Does it have to be at same level as radiator or can it be mounted lower in the chassis.

I don't know if my system is closed or open. The existing reservoir (see pic) just has a feed tube at the top filler neck.

Thanks,
David

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Doesn't matter where or at what height, as long as the tube is at the bottom. Pressure/vacuum causes liquid to go in or out of the bottle, it's not dependent on gravity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thank you.

For now I just put a bottle on the side of the bike. Trying to find something that will fit inside the frame.

Thanks again,
david

Doesn't matter where or at what height, as long as the tube is at the bottom. Pressure/vacuum causes liquid to go in or out of the bottle, it's not dependent on gravity.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
A lot of guys here like to showcase their coolant overflow tank cause you can make them look cool and they're easier to gt to. I'm not sutrr what Razed meant about the "tube" having to he at the bottom but if He meant the coolant line that runs the fluid into the tank then that's incorrect. In fact that will limit you on options if you don't have a pressurized system because your tank could then very easily leak? Hell even with an pressurized system it could peak, even more so. I made one out of an aluminum water bottle with a brass barb fitting threaded into the plastic cap and a small vent hole drilled next to it. Its never given any problems and the tube was mounted at the top. Hope something I said helps.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I should clarify- the tube can go in the top or the side or whatever, as long as it draws off the bottom, otherwise it won't be able to draw the coolant back to the rad when it cools off.

If it just sprays into the top it'll catch the expanding coolant once, then draw air back later when it cools off.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
The way mine is set up, is I have the overflow line draining directly into the top of the catch can. There's no return line. I've never had an issue with getting air back into the coolant system. Maybe I'm just lucky and I'm sure it has to do with the coolant system on my SV not being pressurized the way some are but it hasn't been an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts